My Sister - Firsts with New Camera

K8-90

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally got my new camera; it's long time coming. Well, I love it! It's a Canon XSi and a 50mm 1.8 (I also got a Sigma OS 18-200mm). I've been saving for and researching DSLRs for a while now (3 years...Eugh!), so I couldn't wait to get it out of the box and in my hands. They really should come with pre-charged batteries - waiting for it to charge nearly killed me :p

Anyways, I thought I'd post some impromtu shots. I've been shooting manual and focusing manual, so I didn't pay much attention to composition, as I was more caught up in figuring everything else out. My sister made the mistake of walking into my room and got suck being "subject". I'd still appreciate some C&C, though :)

Anyways, here they are!

IMG_03092.jpg

2. (1 in B&W)
IMG_0309BW.jpg

IMG_02942.jpg

4. (3 in B&W)
IMG_0294BW.jpg

IMG_03172.jpg

6. (5 in B&W)
IMG_0317BW.jpg

nice exposures......composition is a bit bland though.

Thanks! As this is my first DSLR, I was really focusing on exposures and DOF. And I agree about the composition. I honestly just stuck her in front of a window, adjusted the camera and clicked! Composition will my next step :)

I think they are really lovely actually. I wish the first one had both eyes in focus

Oh, thanks!
Haha, yeah - I got a little carried away with the amazingly shallow DOF on the 50mm... :p

Great shots!

Wow, thanks :D

Nice images, your composition is very nice....your sister's eyes are what set it apart. Keep up the good work

Thanks! And I'll pass that compliment on to my sister :)
I love her eyes, especially in the last B&W shot.

I think you're on the right track....
and if, like you said, you weren't really paying attention to comp. I think you actually did a great job! Especially for just playing around and getting used to your new camera!!

keep working and playing... you've obviously got something to work with ;)

Very pretty girl! I think your b&w conversions are very nicely done, and the skin looks flawless too.

My problem is like others pointed out that you have your aperature too low. When you get that close, you can't go super open like that (assuming 2.8 or lower here)

You CAN move about 5 feet back and keep the low aperature and your focus plane will be greater (Eg, at such close proximity you have maybe a 1" plane of focus, but if you backed up some, you might have 3-5" in focus, which would get both her eyes in focus) Then you could crop in post processing.

Just stuff to think about! TFS!

Thanks!

...the eyes always, always always, have to be in focus.
Yup. I learned my lesson. I was just thrilled by the shallow DOF on my nifty fifty :mrgreen:

I think you're on the right track....
and if, like you said, you weren't really paying attention to comp. I think you actually did a great job! Especially for just playing around and getting used to your new camera!!

keep working and playing... you've obviously got something to work with ;)

Thanks!
I had just popped he battery in for the first time, and my sister conveniently walked in. So I made her sit while I spun, pushed and clicked away - I'm more into trial 'n' error than manuals :greenpbl: I've picked up some of the key terms and theories off TPF, and I just need to figure out how to apply them through my camera.
And my sister (and cat) now run when they see me with my camera in hand :lol:

Very pretty girl! I think your b&w conversions are very nicely done, and the skin looks flawless too.

My problem is like others pointed out that you have your aperature too low. When you get that close, you can't go super open like that (assuming 2.8 or lower here)

...Eg, at such close proximity you have maybe a 1" plane of focus, but if you backed up some, you might have 3-5" in focus, which would get both her eyes in focus) ...

Thanks for explaining the about DOF - I'd been wondering what would happen with a lower aperature at a distance... Now I'll have to try it!

In this situation, my back was to a wall, and if I got her to back up the lsunight wouldn't reach her... But Ill definitely try that nest time, on a more planned photo op.!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back