My Son (first photos here)

yardism

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are some of the first shots I've taken with a decent camera. Other than the top of his head missing in #1 and the jacket covering his face in #2, what are your thoughts on these? Thanks for looking.

N-Leaf.jpg

n-leaves.jpg

Heya yardism, welcome to ThePhotoForum :D.

Isn't it fun to take photos with a camera that allows you to blur out the background so nicely in children's portraits? It is great fun to see the eyes so clearly, isn't it? I think they look lovely in the first.

Along with having a new camera, do you also plan to work with post processing software? For I could imagine those eyes would stand out even more if they were selectively brightened just a bit, so their colour shows even better.

The cut-off head is no problems in the first, since you seemed to have wanted to fill the frame with just his face. But sometimes it is also a good idea to take face shots in vertical mode... that gives you the chance to fill the frame with the entire head.

I thought I'd try doing a little editing of that first one since it looked like it could be even better if there was some. ;)
Lets see what you think. I think I may have gone a little too far though.:lol:

N-Leaf.jpg

Edit: For comparison to the original:
N-Leaf.jpg

I thought I'd try doing a little editing of that first one since it looked like it could be even better if there was some. ;-)
Lets see what you think. I think I may have gone a little too far though
.:lol:
I like the edit. Did you use the dodge tool to achieve this?

I first cropped it so that it would be more to one side of the image. Then messed around with the levels and added some more contrast. Then lightened his eyes and parts of his face with the dodge tool.

I like the crop, a lot. I have since lightened the eyes up also, I agree with that wholeheartedly. There is something about the skin tone in your edit that doesn't work for me. I like some aspects of it, but in other areas, it looks odd to me. I can't quite put my finger on it yet. Not that my non-PP looks any better.

Thanks for working with it though. I appreciate that.

After looking at it a little more it looks like his forehead and top part of his eyes look a little darker than the rest of his face. Or is it just me.

i love them, but the first is too center for me. As for the head not all in, i like it, I crop in close too

Most reactions

Back