Derrel, I noticed when I got home the lens did in fact have smudging on it. I'm taking my kids out again Sunday evening to take some more pictures. I've researched quite a bit on modes and methods that I wasn't aware of. Everyone has been very helpful!
Oh, good, you found the smudging! "As you know, 'it' happens!" Keep working on this children's portraiture business and your skills WILL improve. The more times you shoot pics, the better your chances of running into great light and willing kids. I think the more sessions you shoot, the better you get. But also, there are those times in the late afternoon/early evening THIS TIME OF YEAR especially, when the light is what is called "sweet light", and it makes getting good pictures fairly easy. I'd say, "Keep it simple, keep it light and easy, let the kids have fun, and shoot,shoot,shoot."
The way I see it, pics of your own kids are
awesome to have, no matter how good they are or are not. But, you know, after a while, you WILL become at least pretty decent at taking these kinds of photos. The more times you go out and shoot, I think the better you become. It's not a sheer long-sessions= improvement deal either...it comes in fits and starts...there are a lot of things to be learned. With a modern camera set to f/5, and in Aperture Priority Auto and at ISO 250 or 320, it's pretty hard to go wrong...the camera will do a LOT of the basic decision-making, but then it's up to YOU to frame and watch out for drecky backgrounds and stuff.