My son

lmlitz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took this yesterday. I'm still learning how to photograph children so any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• $April 11 2014 158.JPG
    $April 11 2014 158.JPG
    882.3 KB · Views: 90
You might want to use a flash to brighten up his face and turn down your exposure because of the sun over exposing the right side of his face. Otherwise I think it's good content. Handsome young man too.

The trick is to use the proper metering method. Expose for your subject, damn the rest. Also I feel there's just a bit too much space over his head but it's certainly an image worthwhile for you and him.

No matter what the subject, always consider the light. This was shot at a good time of day, with the sun somewhat lower, so position yourself such that when the child is watching you, his face is turned more toward the sun. Note: not directly into the bright sun, but just before he starts to squint. If the sun is lower, it is even easier to face the sun without squinting.

Be sure to set your metering spot on his face, as Trever1 has written.

This shot shows fairly good composition, with some flaws such as the background elements, too much space above his head, extra space to the left of the tree, but overall, it is not bad. The light is my main quibble.

Nice centering!

The timing and pose and location are good. I thought the amount of headspace was perfect; not too much, not too little, considering the subject AND the background items. WHat is troubling is the odd smudgy look...it seems like maybe your lens is hazed over or there's a filter on the front that's hazy/greasy/unclean, and the light was hitting that at a steep angle. Whenever you shoot toward the light like this, with the sun in front of you, or in front of you and raking in at an angle, you have to make sure the lens's front, and rear element ESPECIALLY, are SUPER-CLEAN and free from any and all smudging, oils,fingerprints,etc. AND--this is a big deal--with most lenses you absolutely MUST use a lens shade, to keep the contrast HIGH. This just looks like the lens is being "flared" a bit, or like the lens was not 100% clean/degreased.

The timing on this is good, and it is close-up and SIMPLE. Good job on that. The sharpening that The_Traveler did reallllllly helped. You nailed the focus this time it seems like. Keep shooting!!!

Derrel, I noticed when I got home the lens did in fact have smudging on it. I'm taking my kids out again Sunday evening to take some more pictures. I've researched quite a bit on modes and methods that I wasn't aware of. Everyone has been very helpful!

Derrel, I noticed when I got home the lens did in fact have smudging on it. I'm taking my kids out again Sunday evening to take some more pictures. I've researched quite a bit on modes and methods that I wasn't aware of. Everyone has been very helpful!

Oh, good, you found the smudging! "As you know, 'it' happens!" Keep working on this children's portraiture business and your skills WILL improve. The more times you shoot pics, the better your chances of running into great light and willing kids. I think the more sessions you shoot, the better you get. But also, there are those times in the late afternoon/early evening THIS TIME OF YEAR especially, when the light is what is called "sweet light", and it makes getting good pictures fairly easy. I'd say, "Keep it simple, keep it light and easy, let the kids have fun, and shoot,shoot,shoot."

The way I see it, pics of your own kids are awesome to have, no matter how good they are or are not. But, you know, after a while, you WILL become at least pretty decent at taking these kinds of photos. The more times you go out and shoot, I think the better you become. It's not a sheer long-sessions= improvement deal either...it comes in fits and starts...there are a lot of things to be learned. With a modern camera set to f/5, and in Aperture Priority Auto and at ISO 250 or 320, it's pretty hard to go wrong...the camera will do a LOT of the basic decision-making, but then it's up to YOU to frame and watch out for drecky backgrounds and stuff.

Most reactions

Back