My Summer Photo

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by chantal7, Aug 30, 2011.

1. chantal7

chantal7 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello TPF!

Photo was taken on Aug 11/11 - Moose Jaw, Sk, Canada

It is one of my favourite photos of this summer, so far. I am curious on what anyone thinks of it! I had to reduce a lot of noise, and get rid of some dust spots, other than those disappointing factors, I really liked the outcome of this one!

[​IMG]
    IMG_0678 by 7Chantal, on Flickr

2. EquineArt

EquineArt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think Mother NAture favors people from Saskatchewan... this is a great picture! Composition is so awesome! And the tiny human manifestations makes us realize how small and vulnerable we are compared to those big dramatic clouds!
    Well done :D

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Awesome cloud formation and the light on it is great. I do love that you included the buildings, but I do wish they were a bit bigger. Or maybe I just need to see it as a 3 foot x 3 foot print.

August has seen some amazing clouds & sunsets around here as well...too bad I never seem to have the time to shoot any of them.

4. bazooka

bazooka No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with Mike, this might make a good large print, but at this size it took a while to realize there was anything other than clouds. I'd like to see a touch more ground and be a bit closer to the buildings. I like that they are miniscule, but I think they're a bit too miniscule for 'normal' print sizes.

5. chantal7

chantal7 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mike, that definitely makes sense... I kind of wish I could have gotten a closer shot of the buildings too, just to see what it compares to. I actually might print this picture large to see! Thank you very much for the comments!

6. Compaq

Compaq Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Make that a 5 meter wide print :D

I really dig the scale in this one. That's one wicked cloud :D

7. chantal7

chantal7 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    5 Meters wide??? That would be huge!

The biggest I've printed is a 16 x 20.

8. Compaq

Compaq Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Huge prints are awesome. Those work great with valley shots and views, and I suspect this one would also be nice. :thumbsup:

:)

9. chantal7

chantal7 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This brings the question - where do you print such large prints? We have a photography store here, but I wonder where others get theirs printed... I heard you can do it online and they ship it to you? I am going to check out prices right now!

10. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use Techincare for most of my printing and all of my professional stuff.

If you order any sort of large print, I'd suggest having it mounted. For framing, I'll usually have them mounted on foam board or maybe card stock. I've had some mounted on Masonite and I've had some printed/laminated onto canvas and stretched onto a frame.

This one would look great on canvas (but not with a gallery wrap, as you'd loose the bottom).

11. chantal7

chantal7 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh that is good to know! It sounds fairly expensive. Can you order from their website? I checked it out and it doesn't look like it. Thank you for the information! :)

12. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit

FYI, there are a couple different types of Canvas prints being done these days. Technicare offers two types. The first method (the only one I've used) is where they print the image onto metallic paper, then strip the emulsion and use heat+pressure to laminate the print onto a canvas substrate. They have a couple different thicknesses of canvas and a couple different options for the finish. The metallic aspect of the print really makes these spectacular...especially if you have ripply water in the shot....it seems to ripple as you walk by the print.

The other option (which is usually available at cheaper labs etc.) is to get some paper that is already embedded with canvas and use an inkjet printer to print right onto it. It's a lot cheaper but the results aren't as spectacular.

Here is a 50" x 30" that I have in my living room. It was finished as a 'gallery wrap', which is where they wrap the image around the edges of the 2" frame. Thus, it doesn't need to be framed, just hung on the wall. As I mentioned, this wouldn't really work for your image because the buildings would end up on the bottom edge.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I should also mention that this was quite expensive to have done. First is the cost of the print & canvas laminating, but then I had them do the stretching & wrapping etc....which cost as much as the print.

• Like Like x 1