My Very First Model: Bryan M.

BeCaptivated

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today I had my first Model/Portrait shoot. The pictures came out good except that not all of my model was in focus. Do I need to open up my aperture more? Will that bring him all in focus?

C&C please.

P.S. I know I do a lot of PP, I love artsy pictures so that is just my style.

4081grneyes.jpg

IMG_4071sm.jpg

IMG_4160sm.jpg

IMG4166sm.jpg

IMG_4182sm.jpg

IMG_4186sm.jpg

IMG_4192sm.jpg

IMG_4209small.jpg

Something should be in focus regardless of your aperture, decreasing your aperture (or increaseing the number, whichever way you prefer to look at it) is going to help to widen the plane of focus, but if nothing is in focus you might have a few problems

a) Not a long enough shutter speed (most likely)
b) Your lens isn't clean. Whether it is finger prints on the lens or even water condensation that has built up inside (least likely)
c) Bad copy of a lens

Do you have your EXIF data?

looks like you got plenty of poses and he is very natural infront of the lens which is great and reflects wonderfully on your part. My favourite is #4, however, I would watch for the blown highlights.

There are a number of problems. Elbows, hands and feets should not be cut off in posing. The area around the eyes in outdoor shots needs to be brightened by either a reflector or fill flash. In number 6, the photoshopping is too obvious. Look at the white edge to his clothes and the transition between sharp to blur on the bricks is a little too visually noticeable. Lack of sharpness is a problem on some due to either too slow a shutterspeed or an fstop which is too wide open such as 1.8. The overall hue on #4 seems too beige and it is a little too overexposed. Pros also look at models too and in this case his goatee does not suit his overall look, which means the shots where the goatee is less noticeable are a little better.

I know I am being very picky but that is what professional portraiture is: attention to the smallest detail.

skieur

I like number 4 the bst - very cool shot. ;)

Nice shots... Don't know about the technical aspect, but that guy is gorgeous... hahaha

Thank you for your replies. I have only been doing photography seriously for 6 months and all my models are volunteers to help me learn and then I send them off to you guys so I can learn more, so I appreciate all of your comments.

I know I probably do too much PP but I love it! All my shots had good exposures until I messed with them in Photoshop. :eek:)

Let me start off by saying that I am all for PP but I don't think that any amount of PP can help an image that is taken wrong in camera.

There are many issues with these...your posing, lighting, etc. To me, almost all of them seem out of focus which just hurts the eye! Try to speed things up or maybe work on the way you are focusing in camera. Also, when you are posing people, try your best to not cut of any limbs, the human brain just doesn't like it and so when we look at the image, our brain says "something is wrong!" Ya know?

Also, I think all your black and whites look flat and need some more contrast to them. Just my .02

But, don't give up and keep trying!! We all had to start somewhere and learning from mistakes is how we all grow!! Hang in there!

P.S. You do have an excellent choice of model. lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back