What's new

My watches

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Dec 5, 2012
Messages
5,555
Reaction score
1,121
Location
Toronto Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know these are far from perfect shots, I really am struggling with getting the shots I will be happy with but so far I didn't crack the formula.
I would love your comment to help me improve so I can give my watches the proper shots they deserve.

AE1_3573_zpsf51278a4.jpg


AE1_3577_zpsc61db7d6.jpg


AE1_3559_zps2a58fc7c.jpg
 
Please describe your lighting setup. It appears that a light tent would help.
 
nice watches
what's your lighting setup like ?

on the top Rolex the bezel numbers disappear between 100 and 120.
and the second one a reflection at the bezel 30

nice watches
 
Please describe your lighting setup. It appears that a light tent would help.
I have a light tent and I tried it in the past but that really didn't make my watches pop.
nice watches
what's your lighting setup like ?

on the top Rolex the bezel numbers disappear between 100 and 120.
and the second one a reflection at the bezel 30

nice watches
Thanks about the compliment about the watches.

No special lights, just room light.
In the past I also tried bouncing light on opposide wall to give even light on watch but again nothing spectacular came out of it.

As I said I cant seem to crac the formula.
I want to add I used polarizer filter.
 
Here I used a simple setup. I have white poster board from from below to the back and up. Not very deep.
I have a desk lamp at a good White color like the flashes from above.
and I have 2 flashes
SB-700 - mostly at 1/128 (right)
SB-600 - mostly at 1/64 (left)
flashes are a little above but about 35 degree from parallel. No umbrella/soft box (don't have those yet)
I plan on taking other pics of my other watches but I'm trying to figure something "artsy" out too

I can't remember which lens I used .. either my 18-105/3.5-4.5 VR or my 24-84/2.8-4.0
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-gallery/340111-pocket-watch-see-through-skeletal.html
 
Last edited:
Here I used a simple setup. I have white poster board from from below to the back and up. Not very deep.
I have a desk lamp at a good White color like the flashes from above.
and I have 2 flashes
SB-700 - mostly at 1/128 (right)
SB-600 - mostly at 1/64 (left)
flashes are a little above but about 35 degree from parallel. No umbrella/soft box (don't have those yet)
I plan on taking other pics of my other watches but I'm trying to figure something "artsy" out too

I can't remember which lens I used .. either my 18-105/3.5-4.5 VR or my 24-84/2.8-4.0
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-gallery/340111-pocket-watch-see-through-skeletal.html

I remember seeing this post, nice shots, its easier to make the pocket watch stand, a wrist watch needs a special stand which currently I don't have, that is something that also limits me.
Next week I will take out the light tent and give it another try.
I only have 1 flash so I will try to find a way to get even light across the shot.
 
I remember seeing this post, nice shots, its easier to make the pocket watch stand, a wrist watch needs a special stand which currently I don't have, that is something that also limits me.
Next week I will take out the light tent and give it another try.
I only have 1 flash so I will try to find a way to get even light across the shot.

When I do my wrist watches .....
a thin-width white foam strip in the band to give it roundness. Then a little square in the back behind the band on the surface to set it up vertically.

I'll be doing that this weekend if I get a chance.

Actually I just remembered that I took those photos with my 75-300 on macro mode from a distance (so I could sit on my exercise machine seat).
 
I remember seeing this post, nice shots, its easier to make the pocket watch stand, a wrist watch needs a special stand which currently I don't have, that is something that also limits me.
Next week I will take out the light tent and give it another try.
I only have 1 flash so I will try to find a way to get even light across the shot.

When I do my wrist watches .....
a thin-width white foam strip in the band to give it roundness. Then a little square in the back behind the band on the surface to set it up vertically.

I'll be doing that this weekend if I get a chance.

Actually I just remembered that I took those photos with my 75-300 on macro mode from a distance (so I could sit on my exercise machine seat).

Sorry but I didn't understand how you made your watches stand up, I would appreciate if you would take a side shot so I will see what you did (of course when you get the time and chance).

You have 2 watches I would love to own. But who wouldn't want a Rolex?

It took me few years to be able to have these watches, they are very dear to me and it wasn't easy to get them on my pay check.
The hardest was of course the Daytona, for a SS Daytona there is few years of waiting list and forget about any discount, that means insane second hand value because not a lot of these guys are up for sale.

You might be surprised but my favorite is actually the Omega Planet Ocean, its a gorgeous watch even though its not an in house movement, it has an ETA movement with Omega putting their touch to it, still its my favorite.
 
Sorry but I didn't understand how you made your watches stand up, I would appreciate if you would take a side shot so I will see what you did (of course when you get the time and chance). It took me few years to be able to have these watches, they are very dear to me and it wasn't easy to get them on my pay check. The hardest was of course the Daytona, for a SS Daytona there is few years of waiting list and forget about any discount, that means insane second hand value because not a lot of these guys are up for sale. You might be surprised but my favorite is actually the Omega Planet Ocean, its a gorgeous watch even though its not an in house movement, it has an ETA movement with Omega putting their touch to it, still its my favorite.

One of my many life goals is to own a Rolex Daytona.
 
Basically white foam that is thick enough to keep it's shape when inside the wristband.
Then something behind it, like a wedge, to keep it in place.

I'll take some pics this week.
 
Basically white foam that is thick enough to keep it's shape when inside the wristband.
Then something behind it, like a wedge, to keep it in place.

I'll take some pics this week.
Thx :)
 
Sorry but I didn't understand how you made your watches stand up, I would appreciate if you would take a side shot so I will see what you did (of course when you get the time and chance). It took me few years to be able to have these watches, they are very dear to me and it wasn't easy to get them on my pay check. The hardest was of course the Daytona, for a SS Daytona there is few years of waiting list and forget about any discount, that means insane second hand value because not a lot of these guys are up for sale. You might be surprised but my favorite is actually the Omega Planet Ocean, its a gorgeous watch even though its not an in house movement, it has an ETA movement with Omega putting their touch to it, still its my favorite.

One of my many life goals is to own a Rolex Daytona.

I hear ya, one of the most classic watches ever made.
Rolex is very smart about how they market it, they make very limited amount of SS models and create great hunger for it which in return keeps its second hand value insanely high.
Its not a problem to buy new the Two Tone model or one of its precious metal models but the SS is not easy to get.
It was my dream too and I got it only few months ago now since I got it I can relax and concentrate on photography.
 
ok, I did a quick setup this morning. And I'm going to hijack your thread with beautiful watches to show a Citizen Moon Watch. It's not the way I want it but it was quick and dirty. My next investment is 2 light stands and umbrellas/diffuers which seems to be really needed. It still needs work to fully illuminate the face with no shadows / reflections but it's close. I grabbed an old crankarm as a technical prop.

Basically, Find some foam or other flexible material that you can cut, shape and put into the middle of the watch. You could even cut it in a circle to get the exact shape that you want. But this gives you an idea.

I also want to add one of these arms allows one to get much closer to the object you are photographing. vanguard makes tripods that are based on a fully adjustable arm too.
Promaster Tripod Accessory Tilt Arm | eBay

BELOW: The foam material I had laying around.
$01_FSCN0421.webp
BELOW: cut up foam material to the lengths that I wanted. Could also have cut out a circle to insert into the watch band
$02_DSCN0432.webp
Used my pocket POS to take a pic of the setup. One flash on either side, camera in the middle and the whiteboard with the subject.
$03_DSCN0431.webp
BELOW: side look at watch with inserts
$04_DSCN0429.webp
BELOW: final picture with 50mm f/1.8
$08_NKN9354a.webp
BELOW: Cropped image
$09_NKN9354.webp
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Another watch I almost bought last year was the Citizen Skyhawk. Christmas bonus this year maybe?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom