Mysterious Abandoned Orphanage

Tailgunner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Woodmen Circle Orphanage: Sherman Texas

I was driving back late one afternoon some time back before I was big into photography. I have always loved taking back roads and side streets just for the sake of exploring. Well one day with the sun setting fast in the sky, I ran across this huge Manson of a house that appeared out of no where. It was dark and looked really creepy to say the least! I was in a hurry and couldn't stop but said I would return one day...and that day was early this morning. This time armed with my D800, 28-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm VR II :) It was actually fun parked outside the abandoned old building early morning waiting for the sunrise. Anyhow, I did some research: The building was built around the 1930's by the Woodmen Circle which is the women branch "Woodmen of the World" and used up until around the 1970's. The building has been bought and sold a few times since with plans to restore the building. I was not able to venture inside the building due to No Trespassing signs and reports of people being prosecuted for not obeying the signs. I'm thinking about trying to track down the land order and seek permission in the future. Anyways, I have how ever seen photos from people who was allowed entry and the place is heavily damaged. It would probably be cheaper to build a new building vs restore this one.

Woodmen of the World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

D800
Nikon 28-70mm 2.8
3 X Bracketed images merged and processed.

Lew, I literally laughed out loud. My 3 year old sometimes drives me crazy enough to consider it.

lol for Lew

for the photo. it looks like like a bit leaned, maybe to straighten it a bit

I have to agree with mmaria, it looks like it's tipped a tiny bit to the right. That's a neat looking place. Must have been super hot in there though in the summer with no trees around for shade.

Although the offer of child donations to empty orphanages seemed to strike a chord with many parents, I do want to make it clear that, although I have raised 5 children (3 biological ones and 2 my wife insisted on bringing with her), I have never wanted to give away more than one at any one time.

Of course that designated one at risk rotated regularlyamongst the five. For those of you who have young children and think the times are tough, you ain't seen nuthin' yet.

The day the last one moved out - for good - I was only barely dissuaded from changing both the locks and the telephone numbers.

Although the offer of child donations to empty orphanages seemed to strike a chord with many parents, I do want to make it clear that, although I have raised 5 children (3 biological ones and 2 my wife insisted on bringing with her), I have never wanted to give away more than one at any one time.

Of course that designated one at risk rotated regularlyamongst the five. For those of you who have young children and think the times are tough, you ain't seen nuthin' yet.

The day the last one moved out - for good - I was only barely dissuaded from changing both the locks and the telephone numbers.

4 of my own, 2 from the miss's so I hear you loud and clear. My youngest is now 31, but it took a couple of them a little longer to learn how to fly. A guy that works for me is 72 and he STILL has at least one of his kids moving home several times a year.
HE needs to change HIS locks!

After a couple of bad experiences with children thinking they were welcome to move home, we told our children that we have converted to a kosher vegan diet and thus will not/ can not have anything in our house that violates those strict guidelines.

Any time they come for a meal it turns out to be radish and kale casserole on the menu.
Although this involves hiding all the food we really eat, we have refitted the broom closet with shelves and refrigerator, confident that, since they never voluntarily went in there as children, they'd never look in there now.

After a couple of bad experiences with children thinking they were welcome to move home, we told our children that we have converted to a kosher vegan diet and thus will not/ can not have anything in our house that violates those strict guidelines.

Any time they come for a meal it turns out to be radish and kale casserole on the menu.
Although this involves hiding all the food we really eat, we have refitted the broom closet with shelves and refrigerator, confident that, since they never voluntarily went in there as children, they'd never look in there now.
I'm going to have to tell my mother about this, maybe then my freeloading brother will move out.

Just more evidence that no matter how much wiser your children become, parents will always have the advantage..

I like the photo. I agree about the slight lean to the right, though. It also looks like there might be a slight purple tint to it? My monitor is calibrated, and it looks just slightly off to me. Could be my eye, though. I bet it would be neat to get inside there and take some photos!

Most reactions

Back