Mystery visitor. I.D. help, please.

RVT1K

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I can't say that I've ever noticed this one before and I don't know what it is. But today its been around a bunch, eating from the suet basket and eating the fallen suet form the ground.

_0004680PS1 - Copy.jpg

_0004691PS1 - Copy.jpg

Gray catbird.

I searched and searched and came up with nothing, pretty bird though, whatever it is. Nice catch.

Blue-gray tanager.

That doesn't look right neither. Hmmm.

I'd say it's close but no cigar. This bird is more purplish than blue with a dark purple patch on it's head and dark purple tail feathers, with no blue on the wings or anywhere. I haven't seen a 'description' nor picture of a blue-gray Tanager that looks anything like that bird. I believe the jury is still out.

I'd say it's close but no cigar. This bird is more purplish than blue with a dark purple patch on it's head and dark purple tail feathers, with no blue on the wings or anywhere. I haven't seen a 'description' nor picture of a blue-gray Tanager that looks anything like that bird. I believe the jury is still out.

Sorry... I've already smoked it. I'd wager a buck that the orange on the rear end clinches it. Take a look for yourself.

grey catbird - Google Search

Sorry... I've already smoked it. I'd wager a buck that the orange on the rear end clinches it. Take a look for yourself.

grey catbird - Google Search

There is also this resource:

Gray Catbird Identification, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology

I believe Mr. Sparky is correct.

There are often regional variations in bird's coloring and the coloring can also change as a bird matures.

I was searching for blue-gray tanager, not gray catbird. I thought catbird was a joke and dismissed it, lol! I'll go with the gray catbird 100%.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back