myth buster

mysteryscribe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
retrophotoservice.2ya.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Before I go on let me explain something. Yesterday something happened to make me realize my shooting days are numbered and the number isn't very large. So when I came home I was depressed of course. Being depressed cripples some people. Me it made reassess my thinking. Not just about myself but the effect I have on other people. So I decided that I should try to make amends for some of the BS I inflicted on people.

Having been a professional (debatable) photographer for thirty plus years. Having sent my daughter to a private school with the proceeds and made a reasonable life for myself and family from my camera, does not make me an authority on anything. Photographic or otherwise. Not that alone.

Okay maybe I picked up a few things along the way, but they aren't worth more just because I sold pictures. Some of the people here have less or no time selling pictures and do a hell of a lot better job than I ever did. So when someone says, "Hey listen to me I'm a pro." That in and of itself is not a reason to believe he knows what he is talking about.

One of my big time heros Edward Weston struggled to make his car payments and I couldn't load his film holders. So the next time you hear me say, "I did this a lot of years," I want you to say, "So what that don't make you right fatboy."

Now I might say, I know this works from experience. That isnt the same as "trust me I'm a pro."

I know we often clash when it comes to photographic ideas and posting style, but I hope that whatever came up is something you can deal with. I don't know if you meant just shooting days or days in general, but I know what it's like to lose the ability to be able to do things that are important to you. If it's the former, I hope you are able to find other ways to find what you enjoy about photography. If the latter, I don't know what to say other than I hope your days are fruitful.

As for the other, I often get caught up in what I'm posting about to the point that I can forget to put it in language that makes it more clear that we are often talking about opinions and not facts.

Well spoken, Mark. :)

Charlie, I'd still rather hear someone "with a great deal of experience" give me some pointers than someone who says "I'm a pro". There is no substitute for experience!

So, however you want to word your disclaimers, I still expect (and hope!) to see you offering up your advice and opinions. ;)

Thanks guys but it might have been a little overly dramatic.

My double vision is making it more and more difficult to shoot. The living history thing yesterday pretty much convinced me I can't shoot events. The list of things I can do shrinks. My mind is not fast enough to deal with shoot and move any more.

I can do still life and maybe landscape a while longer but those are my too least favorite things to shoot. I am toying with finding a new hobby but it has been many years since I did anything else. I sure a hell can't work on cars these days. So building that Chevy is out of the question.

The march is steady but I plan to resist giving up the craft completely till the day i die.

The post was about us so called professionals though. Most people, even me, tend to get puffed up now and then. The newer people who come here should know, that the man with the biggest gun is not necessary the one with the answers, just the one with the biggest gun. Thats what I was trying to say. Some of the new guys know a lot more about this new age in photography than I do for sure. So don't let the "At least I sell my pictures," guys get to you they may be taxi drivers for a day job. Even the kids who play video games probably know more about this new wave than us old guys do.

I know that I do this and probably some of the others do as well. We are still trying to force this round peg of information into the square hole of our brains. My son in law is new age and he tells me about running into guys with fancy cameras at shows, professional mind you, who still shoot them like film and let the labs do the work just like they always did.

And guys I will be honest, I don't know which is better Nikon or Canon.

To maul an old phrase, 'Those who can . . . should teach.'

Your work with paper negatives has been extensive of late. It would be great if you could write an article on it for those who might want to explore the medium. I, for one, would be very happy to have such information.

terri said:
Well spoken, Mark. :)

Charlie, I'd still rather hear someone "with a great deal of experience" give me some pointers than someone who says "I'm a pro". There is no substitute for experience!

So, however you want to word your disclaimers, I still expect (and hope!) to see you offering up your advice and opinions. ;)

Very much agreed... YOU (mysteryscribe) have helped a tremendious amount of people in their quest to post better pictures. I personaly am very greatfull for you advice. From your remarks, I have been taking in consideration to try more vertical shots, and I have been working at making sure that there is not a lot of empty space in pictures. So thank you for your EXPERIENCE in this field. People tend to follow someone's advice more if they can tell you have been doing it for a certain amount of time. I respect your opinions.

Way to kind guys. I cant write an article I cant keep a thought that long. Once upon a time I wrote novels now I can manage about a thousand words before I lose track.

My advice is just somebody who is stuck in the past a bit. These days things are a lot different and maybe for good reason. None the less I might hang around even after I stop shooting pictures. As long as I dont have to show my gallery lol.

Thanks again and I do appreciate the kind words but that was not the intent of the post. It was to warn you about paying too much attention to cab drivers who once shot a wedding. Listen to everyone, try it, look at it objectively, ask people who aren't photographers and who don't mind being honest. then and only then decide if you were right or if the advice was worth while.

That was the point of it all.

Its people like you Mysteryscribe that make this forum work!!!! It takes your experience to help others learn. Your advice is always well appreciated and I know that many people here feel the same way.

I got sent this by my brother it fit so well into what the real purpose of this threat was that I had to include it. Even though this thread should have died a peaceful death.
2rxxo9w.jpg

I would be blessed to have half of the clients you had !!!!

Your experience is very valuable to me..

Thanks but the point of the thread was to listen, but then go out and do it your own way. there is no school like the one called hard knocks.

You can tell someone to guard their exposed film with their life, but it isnt till they lose a roll that it strikes home. That is kind of the point here.

I'll give you a business tip hidden here amoung the dregs just dont tell anyone else.

My son in law doubled his business in one year. I was amazed and he was as well. What he did made so much sense that i was shocked in it's simplicity. There was nothing like it when I was running the business, so it never would have occured to me that it would be so effective.

He found a wedding chapel who had a prefered venders list. He had to buy his way on it, but he did. Of course debating it all the way. He was allowed to join their wedding shows for a fee of course. Even better when people came to book the chapel, his brochure got given to the brides along with all the other photographers who had paid.

However in his case he still maintained the Wal-mart business model. A comparable product at a lower price. In one year his business has doubled and next year he will be turning customers away. Yes he has to kick back to the wedding chapel but..... Kick back a bit or sit home and watch lucy reruns. I encouraged him to smile when he wrote the check.

Now don't tell everyone else I told you. It isn't the chapel, think about it. Its getting in front of the people who need your service and are ready to buy. That is where the value is. It is inin the prefered vendors list. Also the fact that he could close it on his prices.

Now for god sakes don't tell the others...

Ok Scribe, I am so curious as to what happened to cause this fallen heart. At any rate, I'm sorry it happened to you.
I think we have all been "***** slapped" a time or two. Don't sweat it.

Dude, it's all a matter of style. There is an a$$ for every chair. Your chair is different than my chair, but it doesn't make your chair or mine a bad chair. Someone is gonna come along and totally dig one of our chairs.

I hate to say it, but you've made me think a time or two, and that's not so easy with a blond. :)

Hang in there big guy, and don't let the crap get you down.
Hugs,
Cindy

After a little thought, I throw this out to you.
Take one day to look at all the photogs websites in your area.
Take the next day to jump in your car, and just drive around looking for locations.
And the next day, read all day long about what's new.
And finally, just shoot all day one day. Try something different. David Williams made me shoot all day with no artificial light with a fixed 50mm 1.4. Strive. You will feel good, renewed, and your clients will love it.
Smooches,
Cindy

Major heart attack death within a week ... that was nine years ago. It caused me to sell out the studio. When my daughter married a guy who wanted to take over I came back in long enough to train him. I was still alive when my eyes started going all to hell and my balance to.

A slight birth defect.. skin cells inside my brain that keep growing and dying. No place to go so now they are pushing on things better left not pushed on. That one was death in weeks... diagnosis 3 years ago.

In the mean time they both take a toll. I was going to repair a door and it took me three hours to get my breathing back to normal.

I have these cute lil ole seizures. It's like dejavu with attitude.... Now I'm not planning to die next week so stop rehearsing for my memorial service. I didn't mean to be mysterious about it.

And I think it was a blonde who gave me that 2nd heart attack, and I wouldn't have traded it for the world. None of it as a matter of fact.

One day I'll go into the off topic thread and tell some non photo stories that were kind of fun. Like the time I went camping in 5 degree weather so I would know first hand what it felt like to freeze your butt off in the back of an open truck in 1916... Yes it was just as cold back then I'm sure.

Most reactions

Back