n00b question

MacFly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hello. recently purchased a Canon Xsi with the 2 lens kit. i've gotten pretty hand with taking portraits, but i've always wanted to know how take pix like this one below. love how the rounded is in focus and everythign else is blurry/out of foucs.

thanks in advance.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3107/2815761817_6847a328a5_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Depth of field can be controlled using the aperture. The shallow DOF you mentioned is created with a large aperture (small f number, f/2,f/3.5, f/4)

Depth of field can be controlled using the aperture. The shallow DOF you mentioned is created with a large aperture (small f number, f/2,f/3.5, f/4)

now with my Xsi, i put it in the Av mode and i turned down it down to f4.0. lowest it would go.

i'm not comfortable yet with my skills to go manual just yet.

let me know how i can improve..
IMG_0824.jpg

f/4.5
ISO - 800
Av Mode

Last edited:
I take it the first photo on display is not your own but one you found on flickr and used as example? In that case you're not supposed to show the photo embedded, but only a link, so reader's don't mistake it for yours. OK?

Your example photo of the lens cap shows that you are definitely on the way to where you want to arrive. You got the lens cap in focus and the background disappears in a blur.

ok, understood. sorry for any inconvenience.

btw, what does "c&c" mean?

I take it the first photo on display is not your own but one you found on flickr and used as example? In that case you're not supposed to show the photo embedded, but only a link, so reader's don't mistake it for yours. OK?

Your example photo of the lens cap shows that you are definitely on the way to where you want to arrive. You got the lens cap in focus and the background disappears in a blur.

I would highly recommend you buy a nifty fifty (Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II) for those nice bokeh shots. You can get one brand spanking new for your XSi for under $100 from Amazon.com; no shipping and no tax :)

Sample photo with the nifty fifty

383600649_LMFUz-S.jpg

I would highly recommend you buy a nifty fifty (Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II) for those nice bokeh shots. You can get one brand spanking new for your XSi for under $100 from Amazon.com; no shipping and no tax :)

Sample photo with the nifty fifty

383600649_LMFUz-S.jpg

great pic!

excuse my ignorance, but what is "bokeh shots"? sounds like a great investment, but what exactly does this lens do!?

thanks.

here's other pix i took over the wknd, kindly c&c. :)
IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

here's a few pix i shoot while my girls played tennis....kindly c&c.
IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

Most reactions

Back