Naming my business

AudreyRose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I am wanting to start a photography business and wanted some advice on choosing an appropriate name. Photography has been a lifelong hobby and I've always done photography "favors" for friends and family, but I am now wanting to make it a more legit side-business. I plan to be in the category of portrait and wedding photography. But I have also done some wedding videos with my DSLRs. So I also want to offer that, but be primarily photography. I have considered make the business name (My Name) Productions, thinking that "productions" would refer to both video and photography. Or should I make it (My Name) Photography since photography would be my main service, and just mention somewhere on my website that I also do video. I'm afraid that the "productions" name would not attract photography clients very well. What do you think?

Buyyourphotosfromme Photography.

I have very little imagination; my name is John, and the business is photography, therefore my business name is, yep, you guessed it... John's Photography. If you want to focus on photography (Pun fully intended) then I would emphasize that and mention that you offer some DSLR video services as well.

There are several business advantages to using (Your name) Photography.
One is not having to register, license your business as a DBA (Doing Business As)

You need to be sure whichever name you choose is available as a .com web site domain name.
Sorry Gary! Photographyfavours.com is already taken.

How about - Your Name Photo Video?

There are several business advantages to using (Your name) Photography.
One is not having to register, license your business as a DBA (Doing Business As)

You need to be sure whichever name you choose is available as a .com web site domain name.
Sorry Gary! Photographyfavours.com is already taken.

How about - Your Name Photo Video?

How do you know its not my domain :D, my other is www.garyhasasawandhammerdrillsjigsawcircularsaw.com

I was very recently advised that while having "first name last name photography" may be good for branding, if the url becomes too long it may not be worth it. It doesn't apply to you currently as you are only thinking of business names, but keep it mind for when building a website later.

To be honest, I don't think that retail clients think of photographers and videographers as separate beings.

perhaps a name and then a sub head on your cards and web site that gets picked up by spiders.

BlahBlahBlah photography
still and video photo service for weddings, family portraits, events ,,,,,....

I use my name with "Photography" after it.

Seems unlikely that too many other people are going to end up trying to replicate it...

I have to agree, it's not a zombie thread..............................yet. Just a bit moldy and worm ridden by now. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back