Narrowed down to 3 DSLRs, another pesky "which one should I buy" thread.

skid2964

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have norrowed down my choices to three DLSR's

Canon XT
Canon XTi
Pentax K200D

I XT kinda stands apart from the other two due to lessor cost and features, but I wish it had the self cleaning system.
The XTi and XT use CF cards, I have many of those but hey, it's no big deal to get more SD cards if I get the Pentax. I like the that the pentax uses AA batteries and has a shake reduction system.
I did not include the Pentax K100 because the ISO only goes down to 200, for some reason, that bothers me, maybe it doesn't matter being a DLSR with large sensor, etc.

The above reasons may be small and pety, I chose these three mainly due to reputation as being cameras that produce high quality images at a low initial cost and lens selection is good for all three.

I am purchasing to upgrade from my Canon S3, which I will keep. photography is only a hobby for me right now. I enjoy shooting everything, casual portraits, action, long exposure night shots, etc. etc.

ALL opinions welcome...

Of the three I would go for one of the TXs personally. The reason for this is the following:

1) canon (and companies like sigma) have a full and wide range of both high, mid and low (read v. expensive, expensive and affordable) lenses which cover a wide range of focal lengths and apatures - this means that as you develope your skills and want to be able to take one sort of shots very well (say long range telephoto) then you can get a lens much more suited to your needs with the canon.

2) in body image stabalization is not "as good" as in lens stabalization. Further whilst it is a real pain having to pay for more to get it with a canon lens it is generally a better quality

3) AA bateries - they are going to run out really really quick in a digital camera. For me this is a big thing as the last thing you want is to have to shell out a fortune in batteries (and you will when you run out mid shoot and can't recharge them).

4) I don't know about the pentax, but both the canons use viewfinder only for shooting, which really saves on battery time - you can spend a while day shooting on a single charge.

However in the end it is up to you to choose - go into hte store and try out the cameras and see how they feel in your hands. Also how come you have not considered any of the nikkon range? (being as nikkon and canon are often the two at the top of the camer industry)

Are the Canon lens choices much greater than Pentax? Rather, even though the Pentax will fit any Pentax lens, they don't offer as much variety?

Also, do the rechargable AA's run out quickly also? I thought they were basically the same quality and charge time as the proprietary rechargables. I don't mind either way really, I'm just curious. They have been working good in my S3, but my S3 is not a DSLR!

As for Nikon, the bodies are larger and they seem to start getting real expensive real quick once you look past the D40. I like Nikon, I once had a D70s and downgraded to the Canon S3 until I was ready for a DSLR again.

Edit: I just took an other look at the Nikon D60, I didn't realize it was a small-bodied camera. I see some good deals on it also. Is the lens selection as good as Canon?

Of the three I would go for one of the TXs personally. The reason for this is the following:

1) canon (and companies like sigma) have a full and wide range of both high, mid and low (read v. expensive, expensive and affordable) lenses which cover a wide range of focal lengths and apatures - this means that as you develope your skills and want to be able to take one sort of shots very well (say long range telephoto) then you can get a lens much more suited to your needs with the canon.

2) in body image stabalization is not "as good" as in lens stabalization. Further whilst it is a real pain having to pay for more to get it with a canon lens it is generally a better quality

3) AA bateries - they are going to run out really really quick in a digital camera. For me this is a big thing as the last thing you want is to have to shell out a fortune in batteries (and you will when you run out mid shoot and can't recharge them).

4) I don't know about the pentax, but both the canons use viewfinder only for shooting, which really saves on battery time - you can spend a while day shooting on a single charge.

However in the end it is up to you to choose - go into hte store and try out the cameras and see how they feel in your hands. Also how come you have not considered any of the nikkon range? (being as nikkon and canon are often the two at the top of the camer industry)

Nikkon and Canon are really the lead in the market as far as lenses and cameras go at the moment - both have complete ranges of inhouse lenses and kit, whilst many companies like sigma make lenses with ends to fit either brand.
The differences in the lenses for each of the two top companies is really quite small, but there are differences if you are looking for something really really specific. However neither company in the end is a bad choice.
Infact the best advice is really just to try out holding and using the camera instore and see what the feel like.
As for the pentax - far as I know they were a leading company, but now whilst they do have an extensive range of lenses (many which can be got cheap of e-bay as film kits are selling cheap) but I don't think they are now leading the market in new technology - least not as much as canon and nikkon

Just adding a bit of information to balance out things...

But Canon cannot leverage FD lenses which would have provided excellent IQ for very little money. Pentax is compatible with manual K-mounts dating back to 1975 and screwmounts (1950s) with an adapter. For the budget minded who strives for IQ, there is a HUGE range of manual and AF lenses to choose from. Canon (and I shoot and sell canon products) has an excellent well deserved reputation in IQ and AF performance BUT you have to invest a significant amount of money.

For someone on a tight budget but needs high quality, fast glass to move forward with a project they have in mind, Canon offers pretty much the 50mm f1.8 for $70-100. That's about it. Pentax, assuming you know how to focus manually, has 50mm f1.4, 24mm f2.8, 35 f2.8, 85 f2 and so on all between $50-300 each (ebay for even less).

"Real pain" is not the beginning. I agree. Canon IS is better but to the extent of the cost it doesn't bring much value/buck to the table. ALL lenses mounted on the Pentax are Image stabilized.. this includes 50 year old lenses which is an amazing advantage.

Rechargeable work just fine in my Samsung GX-1L and work for quite a long time. Rechargeable AA's are significantly cheaper and AA replacements can be found almost anywhere... if in a pinch. You want long lasting... look at the 1D markII and 1Ds MarkII

HUH???? Pentax has viewfinders too... In fact, the K10D and K20D are equipped with Pentaprism viewfinders which are significantly brighter than the Canon's until you get to the 1 series.

Lets not forget that the K200D is better weather sealed than the Rebel too.

Let me be up front. I like Canon glass, I shot with a boat load of Ls and they are wonderful. If your true intention is work/professional, I would choose Canon in a heart beat. Start with the 30D or 40D (and up). From a consumer level, I didn't like Rebels and I think the consumer lenses are a bit lacking and over priced (exceptions like the 50 f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 100mm macro). Pentax brings a whole lot to the table in terms of bang for the buck.

Excellent information....

Yes, I think am more concerning with the balance of cost and Image Quality than anything else. I know it is hard to balance those two things. I like what I am reading about the Pentac lens selection.

I have now added the Nikon D60 to the list.

I took Overread's advice and put my hands on the XT, XTi, 40D, D60 and D80. I like the D60, I like the professional line better due to more controls in Manual mode, but not sure I want to spend that much money just for two control wheels.

I haven't handled a Pentax yet, may get out and do that this evening.

IF you like the d60 i think you should go with the d40 as they are extremely similar but have a rather big cost difference. I really like nikon becuase of the feel of their cameras, they dont feel like cheap disposable cameras like many other cheap slrs like the rebels.

I had bought the Xt because I felt that it was the best bang for the buck (for me). I LOVE my Xt, but if I had to do it all over again, I think I would have gone for the XSi mainly because of the lens that comes with it. Although it is definitely not the best lens on the market, it is much better than the kit lens on the Xt from what I have read. I have just recently purchased the lens that comes on the XSi and will be just storing my other one. If I had bought the XSi in the beginning, I would have a camera that is slightly more full of features with the lens I wanted. I will probably always stick with Canon because that is what I know and like now, but I have heard that the kit lens that comes with the Nikon is better (but that may just be peoples opinion and not fact).

Don't make a purchase based on a kit lens. The XT can be had for so cheap right now, that it would be an excellent value. If you were to get that and a few primes, you'd be capable of taking some very high quality images. The same goes for Nikon and the older D70 or D50. Both can be had for very cheap, and then combined with a few primes, you'd have a decent kit.

Got my hands on a Canon XSi and a Pentax K200D.

First was the Canon, I really liked it, it has a ISO button right there at your fingertips. I walked away from it wanting it. Then, I handled the Pentax! I love it, thats a nice camera. I have been looking at lens availability, it seems if I am willing to manual focus, I can get some really nice glass for allot less than Nikon or Canon glass. But I am not experienced enough about all the different lens to know that for sure, but it all looks good at a glance.

Also, I now have a Nikon D70s available to me for sale, 3100 shutter actuations, $385 no lens, all accessories it came with. I wonder if I should just get this one? Is that a good price for that camera?

Thats another good camera, and thats a good price. I'd say get your hands on it and if you like it go for it.

I remember looking at these features when I chose my first D70s:1/8000 shutter speed and 1/500 Flash sync.

The D70s has this, The Pentax does not... how important are they?
I understand 1/4000 and 1/250 will suffice for most purposes, but how much will the faster speeds help in certain situations?

For most purposes, 1/4000 max shutter and 1/250 sync is good enough. Rarely do I ever go above 1/1000 of a second on shutter. The few times I do is with a f/1 lens in bright daylight leveraging a shallow DOF. Even then.. you can use a slower shutter speed and an ND filter. I can see a use in a 1/500 sync though but I've been used to cameras with 1/125 and less...

In other words... I personally would place a high priority on other features...

Also, I now have a Nikon D70s available to me for sale, 3100 shutter actuations, $385 no lens, all accessories it came with. I wonder if I should just get this one? Is that a good price for that camera?

Great price.
Incredibly low shutter count.
I would go for this one.

If not, out of your original three, I would go XT then spend $85 for a 50mm f/1.8

I'm not sure if people have commented on this or not, but you can't end the looking process at a body. Consider lens, flashes, and other accessories. Once you pick a brand you will likely end with it.

I'll admit, I like Nikon's bodys for feel, and look, but I love Canon's lenses. As you can see from my sig I'm running Canon. I just picked up the 40D an hour ago and can't wait to try it out this weekend!!

As for the Xti, it's a great camera. Does everything quite well for the price. Menus are fairly easy to navigate, buttons are nicely placed, and quality is great.

The only downside I believe the Xti has is the low light conditions. It's quite upsetting. High ISO has terrible CA, and low ISO has artifacts. It's a lose-lose situation.

Other then that, I'm quite happy with my little Xti!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back