Narrowed down to 3 DSLRs, another pesky "which one should I buy" thread.

Just adding a bit of information to balance out things...

But Canon cannot leverage FD lenses which would have provided excellent IQ for very little money. Pentax is compatible with manual K-mounts dating back to 1975 and screwmounts (1950s) with an adapter. For the budget minded who strives for IQ, there is a HUGE range of manual and AF lenses to choose from. Canon (and I shoot and sell canon products) has an excellent well deserved reputation in IQ and AF performance BUT you have to invest a significant amount of money.

For someone on a tight budget but needs high quality, fast glass to move forward with a project they have in mind, Canon offers pretty much the 50mm f1.8 for $70-100. That's about it. Pentax, assuming you know how to focus manually, has 50mm f1.4, 24mm f2.8, 35 f2.8, 85 f2 and so on all between $50-300 each (ebay for even less).

"Real pain" is not the beginning. I agree. Canon IS is better but to the extent of the cost it doesn't bring much value/buck to the table. ALL lenses mounted on the Pentax are Image stabilized.. this includes 50 year old lenses which is an amazing advantage.

Rechargeable work just fine in my Samsung GX-1L and work for quite a long time. Rechargeable AA's are significantly cheaper and AA replacements can be found almost anywhere... if in a pinch. You want long lasting... look at the 1D markII and 1Ds MarkII

HUH???? Pentax has viewfinders too... In fact, the K10D and K20D are equipped with Pentaprism viewfinders which are significantly brighter than the Canon's until you get to the 1 series.

Lets not forget that the K200D is better weather sealed than the Rebel too.

Let me be up front. I like Canon glass, I shot with a boat load of Ls and they are wonderful. If your true intention is work/professional, I would choose Canon in a heart beat. Start with the 30D or 40D (and up). From a consumer level, I didn't like Rebels and I think the consumer lenses are a bit lacking and over priced (exceptions like the 50 f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 100mm macro). Pentax brings a whole lot to the table in terms of bang for the buck.
I second that. Canon is nice as long as you have the budget for it. I wish I had the money for a 1DmkIII and some L lenses... but hey... I'm 22 lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back