Native New Zealand Tui

nzmacro

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something you won't have for sure. A native here is the Tui, not the prettiest bird but unique with its white tufts on the neck and that necklace (for want of a better word) around the neck.

Once fairly scarce here, but the numbers have grown since I was a kid many, many moons ago ;) Both female and male look exactly the same, but the male is heavier and larger.

1: A scruffy young pair on a flax bush. They go for the nectar. (Panasonic G2, 300 F/2.8L)

orig.jpg

2: An adult and using flash in heavy bush. The song is just beautiful from these. (NEX-7, 500 F/4.5L, Sunpak 555 flash unit)

orig.jpg

3: A crop from the above shot

orig.jpg

4: BIF is compulsory (NEX-7, 800 F/5.6L)

orig.jpg

5: Another BIF (NEX-7, 800 F/5.6L)

orig.jpg

6: Only for about a month they go for the nectar from the Flax bush (NEX-7, 500 F/4.5L)

orig.jpg

7: Getting the forehead covered in pollen (NEX-7, 500 F/4.5L)

orig.jpg

8: Off and about (NEX-7, 800 F/5.6L)

orig.jpg

So that's the native Tui from here.

All the best folks.

Danny.

Last edited:
Gorgeous! As always I prefer the BIFs.

Not only are your shots Awesome but I think the birds are beautiful with unique colors and the tufts are pretty cool. Thanks for sharing these Danny.

Brian said it, awesome as always. #6 is my fav with the nectar on the face :).. Everything's cool Danny, but where are the kingfishers? We are starting to miss them! :grumpy:

Brian said it, awesome as always. #6 is my fav with the nectar on the face :).. Everything's cool Danny, but where are the kingfishers? We are starting to miss them! :grumpy:

LOL, I'll post a few up later for ya Raj :) :) I got a few in flight in the weekend and a few stationary ones as well. I'll sort a few new and old ones out Raj :)

All the best folks and thanks.

Danny.

nice shots i went thu a stage of taking tui photos i was look a tui yay now im like not another bloody tui lol they are everywhere in warkworth now, but i must say they are a awesome looking bird.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back