Naturally lit Newborn

Rebekah5280

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have become accustomed to using my studio lighting and have not worked without a flash for over a year. I've been seeing some beautiful natural light photography so I thought I would give it a whirl and see how it goes. Lucky for me, I had a friend how offered up her first born son so I could practice. lol

$NB - 4.jpg
$NB - 5.jpg

Not knowing your experience with flash, I hesitate to offer a criticism here.

It seems you forgot the "fill" by positioning a reflector to illuminate the off side and lessen the shadows.

I think you nailed it. These look fantastic for natural light photos and the slight shadowing works great to give the child dimension. Well done!

I agree with Designer...

#1 the lines and shadows are harsh for this type of shot.The face is much darker than the rest, and it should be the focus!

#2... to much constrast.. shadows are a bit too dark

I like them.. What's dark can always be corrected with the dodge if desired.

I like them.. What's dark can always be corrected with the dodge if desired.

SURE!!! But getting it right the first time is SO much better! (and reflectors are so EASY!)

Yes, I'm with the "lets get it right the first time" saying. lol I'm pretty good at fixing bad pictures. lol But now, I want to get it right and not have to "fix" anything post.

I tried working with my reflector on a couple shots, but it was bulky and I didn't have a stand. AND, I couldn't place it right behind baby to lessen the shadows because of my backdrop and stand. I tried placing it above the camera crop area, but it didn't seem to do much. I'm not sure where to place it in the situation. Thoughts??

Yes, I'm with the "lets get it right the first time" saying. lol I'm pretty good at fixing bad pictures. lol But now, I want to get it right and not have to "fix" anything post.

I tried working with my reflector on a couple shots, but it was bulky and I didn't have a stand. AND, I couldn't place it right behind baby to lessen the shadows because of my backdrop and stand. I tried placing it above the camera crop area, but it didn't seem to do much. I'm not sure where to place it in the situation. Thoughts??

Backdrop and stand? Why would you need a backdrop and stand in these shots? Unless you have others actually showing a backdrop? Get a reflector arm to mount to your stand... easy! Amazon.com: Fotodiox Telescoping Reflector Holding Arm, Holds 22" to 60" reflector Disc: Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a sliding glass door into my studio. I moved my small backdrop stand to the front of the room to hold up the back of my blanket. Like I said, I usually shoot with my controlled lights in my studio, so for this I just used what I had and pulled it forward to the window lighting.
I will look into a stand to hold the reflector. Thank you! :)

.. What's dark can always be corrected with the dodge if desired.

See post #2 from Designer.
yea, and...?
I like them, that's my opinion. Note the "if desired".

Please note that I intentionally excluded the first part of your post precisely because it was your opinion and you are entitled to it. The point I was making is that Designer offered a viable option for the OP to see the light, as she would in the studio, prior to depressing the shutter button. Solving issues in post is not always the best way to salvage an image as you suggest.

See post #2 from Designer.
yea, and...?
I like them, that's my opinion. Note the "if desired".

Please note that I intentionally excluded the first part of your post precisely because it was your opinion and you are entitled to it. The point I was making is that Designer offered a viable option for the OP to see the light, as she would in the studio, prior to depressing the shutter button. Solving issues in post is not always the best way to salvage an image as you suggest.

So you feel she should bring the baby back and reshoot? Newborn shoots, like weddings, are a one-time thing. What's done is done, right or wrong, and if post processing can make it better, then that's what's done. Never heard of "retouching"? Can't put toothpaste back into its tube, dude.
These are nice photos that just need a little PP to make them perfect. If you shoot perfectly each time, kudos. Most of us don't.

BTW, I use my memory cards over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.........

Last edited by a moderator:
These look great to me. Don't change a thing.

A little shadow is not a bad thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back