Naturally lit Newborn

These look great to me. Don't change a thing.

A little shadow is not a bad thing.

I have to agree...these look fine. It's actually a fairly normal lighting ratio. It's natural light, and lower key. The B&W looks excellent. I cannot figure out where all this fill the living crap out of it talk is coming from on the part of cgipson and kundalini...these are hardly too dark. Maybe you two experts need to calibrate your monitors and your sense of taste at the same time? Your dogmatic attitudes are really out of line WRT to LouR's stated preferences, and the smart-ass comments made to her are...inappropriate and really make you both seem like Dickensians... (tip of the hat to The Big Bang Theory!).

Get it right in-camera? Oh come off it!!! These are perfectly fine, as shot and as-shown. No need to continually badger LouR...or are you still stuck on that memory card thread and taking it out on her here? Must be that, since you made a smart-ass reference to that thread HERE, in this thread.

I have to agree...these look fine. It's actually a fairly normal lighting ratio. It's natural light, and lower key. The B&W looks excellent. I cannot figure out where all this fill the living crap out of it talk is coming from on the part of cgipson and kundalini...these are hardly too dark. Maybe you two experts need to calibrate your monitors and your sense of taste at the same time? Your dogmatic attitudes are really out of line WRT to LouR's stated preferences, and the smart-ass comments made to her are...inappropriate and really make you both seem like Dickensians... (tip of the hat to The Big Bang Theory!).

Get it right in-camera? Oh come off it!!! These are perfectly fine, as shot and as-shown. No need to continually badger LouR...or are you still stuck on that memory card thread and taking it out on her here? Must be that, since you made a smart-ass reference to that thread HERE, in this thread.

hahaha... I have no idea what "memory card" thread you are even referring to! And I did recently calibrate my monitor. And my tastes were calibrated long ago, and are seldom subject to change...

Last edited:
Sears Portrait Studio is gone, someone's gotta carry the banner of standardized photography!

hahaha... I have no idea what "memory card" thread you are even referring to! And I did recently calibrate my monitor. And my tastes were calibrated long ago, and are seldom subject to change... and LouR who?

Not surprised you would reply in this manner ...just last week we had a moderator tell us we needed to ask/demand that long-time users behave "better" toward newer users...I decided to do that here, and call you both out. I decided to take the time to suggest that you both behave in a better manner, and offer C&C that's not insulting,demeaning, and utterly counter-indicated given the situation. Just calling attention to how tired I am of your repeated "pro" thinking cgipson...

Last edited by a moderator:

I suppose that depends on how it is presented. why is someones opinion that the shadows are fine valid, but someones opinion that some added fill light would have been better not valid? to me, they are both just someones opinion of aesthetics, or artistic choice.

I suppose that depends on how it is presented. why is someones opinion that the shadows are fine valid, but someones opinion that some added fill light would have been better not valid? to me, they are both just someones opinion of aesthetics, or artistic choice.

Pretty sure my opinion is all that matters.

Pretty sure my opinion is all that matters.

we know. you give it a LOT. :lol:

Dear Pixmedic,
You might have missed my point.

Read posts 7,12, and 14, and also post #17. Read them carefully.

Note the "memory card" jab, from another thread, entirely. We had two people ganging up on one new poster, a woman, deriding her opinions, repeatedly. For one poster, it's a pattern of utter disrespect, for the other, less so.

Dear Pixmedic,

Note the "memory card" jab, from another thread, entirely. We had two people ganging up on one new poster, a woman, deriding her opinions, repeatedly. For one poster, it's a pattern of utter disrespect, for the other, less so.

I was NOT ganging up on anyone... and if you think I was, that is your problem! The OP apparently did not have any issues with anything I said, and my only comment to LouR was not disrespectful... no matter what you think!

How is this Disrespectful?

I like them.. What's dark can always be corrected with the dodge if desired.

SURE!!! But getting it right the first time is SO much better! (and reflectors are so EASY!)

especially when it was really aimed at the OP?

...all this venom over posted shots of a baby (and a baby's ass in shadow)...?

Gentlemen, gentlemen... please respect each other's viewpoints. Each of you are allowed to comment on how *you* might have approached the shot, as long as it's done in a manner that remains respectful to the OP. And having done that, no one should feel compelled to beat up anyone for making said comments or suggestions....the OP can follow them or ignore them as they see fit.

Once again, a thread goes off the rails over people's reactions to another person's posts, not the image posted or the OP. Get it together, everyone! You just *might* be spending too much time online. ;)

...back to editing....grumble, grumble...

Dear Pixmedic,

I really didnt see anything overtly disrespectful about #7 and #12. we hear from LOTS of people all the time about preferring to get it right "in camera". this isnt the first time its been mentioned. #14 and #17 DO drag a beaten topic from another thread, which really wasnt necessary. I also saw the same snarky kind or remark in post #16.

the only point I was making, was that giving your opinion that the pictures were fine as-is by saying that people that felt they needed fill flash needed to calibrate their monitors is really just as bad as you claim the other bashing comments to be. you berate them for making their point with a snarky remark, by making your point with a snarky comment. I just see "fine as-is" and "could use some fill flash" both as valid C&C depending on your tastes.

If I have missed some other point you were trying to make, I apologize. i am either reading too much or too little into these comments, not sure which.
I will agree on one thing, and that is the threads have gotten way too hostile lately. It seems to happen pretty fast, and newer members seem to bear the brunt of it.
Anytime someone feels like they are being bullied here, they can always use the report button, and if they feel it necessary, log out, thus stopping the abuse. warnings can be issued for offensive or combative comments, and temporary bans for repeat offenders. other than that, there is little else that can be done other than us self policing ourselves.

Dear Pixmedic,

I really didnt see anything overtly disrespectful about #7 and #12. we hear from LOTS of people all the time about preferring to get it right "in camera". this isnt the first time its been mentioned. #14 and #17 DO drag a beaten topic from another thread, which really wasnt necessary. I also saw the same snarky kind or remark in post #16.

the only point I was making, was that giving your opinion that the pictures were fine as-is by saying that people that felt they needed fill flash needed to calibrate their monitors is really just as bad as you claim the other bashing comments to be. you berate them for making their point with a snarky remark, by making your point with a snarky comment. I just see "fine as-is" and "could use some fill flash" both as valid C&C depending on your tastes.

If I have missed some other point you were trying to make, I apologize. i am either reading too much or too little into these comments, not sure which.
I will agree on one thing, and that is the threads have gotten way too hostile lately. It seems to happen pretty fast, and newer members seem to bear the brunt of it.
Anytime someone feels like they are being bullied here, they can always use the report button, and if they feel it necessary, log out, thus stopping the abuse. warnings can be issued for offensive or combative comments, and temporary bans for repeat offenders. other than that, there is little else that can be done other than us self policing ourselves.

In #17.. I was responding to Derrel's mention of the "Memory Card" thread... so don't blame that on me. I have no idea what thread he is even referring to... and I am pretty sure I was not involved! Lol!

I actually think the shadows are a little heavy. For a couple of reasons:

- the standard/expected look for these is much lighter
- a softer and less dramatic look supports the gentle theme

but it's a near thing, to my eye.

I actually think the shadows are a little heavy. For a couple of reasons:

- the standard/expected look for these is much lighter
- a softer and less dramatic look supports the gentle theme

but it's a near thing, to my eye.

Never said it wasn't a "near thing".. my point was that they could indeed be improved... especially for the subject!

I guess it's a bigger conversation but these look more "real" than if they had been fill to get rid of all shadow and depth.

The OPs intent was to use natural light and that being the case I think they nailed it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back