ND FILTER HOLDER

Well, since you mentioned it :mrgreen:, what would you recommend for 150 or less for a Hawaii trip?

Hmmmm.... That's a tough one! If I had to take only one filter... A solid ND. Maybe 4 or 5 stops... That might be the most versatile filter.

Jake

Cool, thanks. I am looking to just get some nice pics during the day; meaning really bright. You think the screw in style is better or a plate system?

No. Plate system is the only way to go if you're serious about it. But it's expensive and cumbersome. Screw ins are small and simple and "cheaper"

Anytime! I could talk filters and landscapes all day.
So what I've been wondering about you is, now that you have the D800 beast (I love mine) do you think you'll step up and grab the nikkor 14-24 f2.8? If so will you regret having not bought the lee 150mm system? This is my current dilemma. I don't have the 14-24 yet but do plan on acquiring it which makes me wonder if I should just jump to the 150 system.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.... That's a tough one! If I had to take only one filter... A solid ND. Maybe 4 or 5 stops... That might be the most versatile filter.

Jake

Cool, thanks. I am looking to just get some nice pics during the day; meaning really bright. You think the screw in style is better or a plate system?

No. Plate system is the only way to go if you're serious about it. But it's expensive and cumbersome. Screw ins are small and simple and "cheaper"

I wouldn't say they are cheaper.
at B&H .. Lee big stopper 100mm is $140.00
at B&H a B+W big stopper 77mm screw-in filter 3.0 is 149.00
a slimline Heliopan is $196

The prices vary alot due to size, and coatings, ring thickness and other options. The same 3.0 in 52mm single coating is $48.24 but the Multi coating is $66.95

I wouldn't categorize screw-ins as cheap, though plenty of them out there are cheap just like you can get "cheap" Lee-type systems.

For instance .. a "cheap" Lee type system ... a complete kit of 24 filters, mounting kit, etc is under $50.00 on eBay Now that is "cheap"
--> 41in 1 Complete Square Filter Kit for Cokin P Series Filter Holder Lens Hood | eBay

Just like you can get a "complete" ND screw-in kit for $20 .. cheap .. cheap .. cheap. Both of those systems.
--> 58mm Filter UV CPL FLD ND 2 4 8 for Canon EOS 1100D 700D 650D 600D 18-55mm Lens

I think the screwins for non-GND work is more convenient and easier to "get into a system" for NDs and CPL, and in other ways more convenient.

It comes to being aware of what level of quality you are buying, what level of quality you are expecting,
and most importantly what do you want to do and what are your expectations of that equipment.

Of course, I don't have a square system. I have all B+W and Heliopan screw in filters. They are convenient for quick setup and seem to be a better setup for sports. But I would agree the squares are alot more versatile and I think the only way to do GNDs.

FYI, there are times when I'm shooting sports that it is so bright that I've thrown on a 0.3 ND filter on my 80-200. That is convenience. And considering how many times I put my camera on the ground I'm glad for the screwin as the square I wouldn't be able to do that without worrying of damaging the square system.

I only mention this because the OP may be looking for just one or two filters for a trip. I think the screw-in filter would be a much quicker and "easier to pack" solution.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I wouldn't say they are cheaper.
at B&H .. Lee big stopper 100mm is $140.00
at B&H a B+W big stopper 77mm screw-in filter 3.0 is 149.00
a slimline Heliopan is $196

The prices vary alot due to size, and coatings, ring thickness and other options. The same 3.0 in 52mm single coating is $48.24 but the Multi coating is $66.95

I wouldn't categorize screw-ins as cheap, though plenty of them out there are cheap just like you can get "cheap" Lee-type systems.

For instance .. a "cheap" Lee type system ... a complete kit of 24 filters, mounting kit, etc is under $50.00 on eBay Now that is "cheap"
--> 41in 1 Complete Square Filter Kit for Cokin P Series Filter Holder Lens Hood | eBay

Just like you can get a "complete" ND screw-in kit for $20 .. cheap .. cheap .. cheap. Both of those systems.
--> 58mm Filter UV CPL FLD ND 2 4 8 for Canon EOS 1100D 700D 650D 600D 18-55mm Lens

I think the screwins for non-GND work is more convenient and easier to "get into a system" for NDs and CPL, and in other ways more convenient.

It comes to being aware of what level of quality you are buying, what level of quality you are expecting,
and most importantly what do you want to do and what are your expectations of that equipment.

Of course, I don't have a square system. I have all B+W and Heliopan screw in filters. They are convenient for quick setup and seem to be a better setup for sports. But I would agree the squares are alot more versatile and I think the only way to do GNDs.

FYI, there are times when I'm shooting sports that it is so bright that I've thrown on a 0.3 ND filter on my 80-200. That is convenience. And considering how many times I put my camera on the ground I'm glad for the screwin as the square I wouldn't be able to do that without worrying of damaging the square system.

I only mention this because the OP may be looking for just one or two filters for a trip. I think the screw-in filter would be a much quicker and "easier to pack" solution.

I should have been more specific. I intended cheap to mean something like "lack of creative ability." For me, sure, a variable ND screw in would be cool, but a good one will set you back a few hundred. I'd never want a GND screw in, because then you can't move your horizon line--it's stuck in the middle. With a plate system, I can stack three different filters on top of each other, and use them EXACTLY how I want to. That's what makes them worth it to me.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Anytime! I could talk filters and landscapes all day.
So what I've been wondering about you is, now that you have the D800 beast (I love mine) do you think you'll step up and grab the nikkor 14-24 f2.8? If so will you regret having not bought the lee 150mm system? This is my current dilemma. I don't have the 14-24 yet but do plan on acquiring it which makes me wonder if I should just jump to the 150 system.

No. I picked up the 16-35 f4 VRII and it already has blown me away. Such a sharp and amazing lens. That's going to be my landscape lens.

No. I picked up the 16-35 f4 VRII and it already has blown me away. Such a sharp and amazing lens. That's going to be my landscape lens.

I was looking at that one too. I can't see that there is much of a need for the extra stop of light anyway. Plus I usually stop down the lens to f8.
I haven't been on much lately so I may have missed it but, I can't wait to see some of your landscapes with your new setup. 👍

I should have been more specific. I intended cheap to mean something like "lack of creative ability." For me, sure, a variable ND screw in would be cool, but a good one will set you back a few hundred. I'd never want a GND screw in, because then you can't move your horizon line--it's stuck in the middle. With a plate system, I can stack three different filters on top of each other, and use them EXACTLY how I want to. That's what makes them worth it to me.

Yes, for anything GND I think the only way to go is square .. as I mentioned for "non-GND"
One reason is the "good" variable screwin filters are gawd awful expensive and you might as well buy a good square system, for less money. $580 for a nice Singh Ray Variable ND
--> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/853602-REG/Singh_Ray_RT88_77mm_Vari_N_Trio_Variable_ND.html

But I think the OP is just looking for a solid ND in which case a screw-in would be as effective and easier. Especially since they may only use one or two.

This is the exact reason my next purchase light stopping filter is a square system specifically for GNDs.
For regular NDs I'm all set. I've also stacked my NDs, though they have more height.

But, of course, the versatility of using square filters and mixing ND and GNDs is there, so much more versatile in most scenarios.

Last edited:

Yes, for anything GND I think the only way to go is square .. as I mentioned for "non-GND"
One reason is the "good" variable screwin filters are gawd awful expensive and you might as well buy a good square system, for less money. $580 for a nice Singh Ray Variable ND
--> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/853602-REG/Singh_Ray_RT88_77mm_Vari_N_Trio_Variable_ND.html

But I think the OP is just looking for a solid ND in which case a screw-in would be as effective and easier. Especially since they may only use one or two.

This is the exact reason my next purchase light stopping filter is a square system specifically for GNDs.
For regular NDs I'm all set. I've also stacked my NDs, though they have more height.

But, of course, the versatility of using square filters and mixing ND and GNDs is there, so much more versatile in most scenarios.

Absolutely. But for the OP, I think a 4 or 5 or 6 stop screw in ND would be perfect.

Awesome info guys, thanks! I will likely go a screw in for convenience and being that it is not a graduated filter. Now to figure out which brand. Some reviews say the Tiffen for ~$40 is great while other say garbage. Then there are reviews saying the ~$90 Hoyas are either great or garbage. Don't think I have ever seen so much variance for one item:confused: Thinking I may just use a sharpie to darken the lens when I need to and wipe it off when I don't. A blue one would really add depth to the ocean:mrgreen:

Awesome info guys, thanks! I will likely go a screw in for convenience and being that it is not a graduated filter. Now to figure out which brand. Some reviews say the Tiffen for ~$40 is great while other say garbage. Then there are reviews saying the ~$90 Hoyas are either great or garbage. Don't think I have ever seen so much variance for one item:confused: Thinking I may just use a sharpie to darken the lens when I need to and wipe it off when I don't. A blue one would really add depth to the ocean:mrgreen:

I hope the sharpie comment is a jest...

I hope the sharpie comment is a jest...

Heck no. I hear all the cool kids do it that way:lmao:;)

Probably going to go with one of these, Hoya 77mm Pro 1D 16x (4-stop) Neutral Density Filter XD77ND16
Tiffen Tiffen 77mm 1.2 ND Digital HT Filter 77HTND12 B&H Photo

I cannot spend a ton but, also do not want to cheap out since HI is a big trip for us.

At the money you want to spend for the Hoya and Tiffen you might as well look at Heliopan, B+W and Singh-Ray.

At the money you want to spend for the Hoya and Tiffen you might as well look at Heliopan, B+W and Singh-Ray.

Thanks again. The non multi coated B&W are within reach. The SR and Heliopan are too much dinero.

Thanks again. The non multi coated B&W are within reach. The SR and Heliopan are too much dinero.

The Tiffen you selected in your link is $104 and the Hoya was $120

A B+W single coat 3.0 ND is $94 (cheaper than your options) and their MRC is $149
A B+W 1.8 ND SC is $99

They B+Ws have Schott Glass which is a high quality glass. I'm not sure what the Tiffen an Hoya's have.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back