ND FILTER HOLDER

hombredelmar

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone!

I am looking to buy some ND filters as well as filter holder. I will be using my Canon 70-200, 2.8 and canon 16-35, 2.8. Knowing that the diameter of these two lenses is different (77mm and 82mm) I was wandering if it will effect the size of the holder and what the options are?
Also I wanted to know what you guy will recommend. I am not planning to buy some cheap plastic however not willing to spend thousands of dollars on holder and filters. What would you recommend and why?

For ND filters, it's OK to use round (screw on) filters if you like. Buy an 82mm filter and a 77 to 82mm 'step up ring'.

You will likely need very large square filters for lenses that size. Off the top of my head, look at the Cokin Pro-X series filters and holder. The holder is universal (in the X series) but it requires an adapter ring to mount to a lens. So again, get the larger adapter and a step up ring, or two adapters.

If these are the two lenses that you plan to use most of the time and if you plan on using the filters on a regular basis, it might be a good idea to just leave the step up ring on the smaller lens so that both lenses are 'always' 82mm. Then buy an 82mm lens cap for it.

With your Wide Angle and screw in filters make sure you get the "thin" versions of the ND filters. This will help minimize vignetting.

If you mean solid neutral density filters, that darken the entire image, then round, screw-on filters as described will turn out to be cheaper and, in my opinion, more usable. Buy a filter with a thin / slim ring for the 82mm-diameter filter thread, and a 77-82mm step-up ring. You can even leave the step-up ring attached to the 70-200's thread, basically turning it into an 82mm thread, unless it interferes with the lens hood.

If you want a variable neutral density (still solid, but has different strengths in one filter), you need a round, screw-on filter, as it's only possible with the round filters.

If you mean a graduated filter, to darken a part of the image, they are available in both round, screw-on form (that works by rotation, like a polarizer or a variable ND) and in the traditional rectangular shape. I haven't used either one, but the latter seems more usable to me.

if you want a more specific answer, you'll need to ask a more specific question. Which of these three are you interested in, and what strength of darkening? Or rather, what do you want to achieve, and at what time of day?

I reccomend Lee filters. I have the Lee 100mm system, and love it. Built like a tank, simple and easy to use, and lots of options too. I have 5 lee filters and one Hitech filter. The Lee's are built impressively well, work well, and are a joy to use. It wasn't cheap, no. But well worth every penny.

Jake

I reccomend Lee filters. I have the Lee 100mm system, and love it. Built like a tank, simple and easy to use, and lots of options too. I have 5 lee filters and one Hitech filter. The Lee's are built impressively well, work well, and are a joy to use. It wasn't cheap, no. But well worth every penny.

Jake

Hello D B J !
I am glad you mentioned Lee. I am looking into getting lee holder and set of graduated filters, .3,.6, .9
I figured out if I buy the set of filters it comes out cheaper.

What filters do you have?
Thank you for your reply !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jake

Hello D B J !
I am glad you mentioned Lee. I am looking into getting lee holder and set of graduated filters, .3,.6, .9
I figured out if I buy the set of filters it comes out cheaper.

What filters do you have?
Thank you for your reply !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a big stopper, a little stopper, set of three soft GND's (0.3, 0.6, and 0.9), and a Hitech 2 stop reverse GND. Next is a set of three hard edged GND's.

Jake

For ND filters, it's OK to use round (screw on) filters if you like. Buy an 82mm filter and a 77 to 82mm 'step up ring'.

You will likely need very large square filters for lenses that size. Off the top of my head, look at the Cokin Pro-X series filters and holder. The holder is universal (in the X series) but it requires an adapter ring to mount to a lens. So again, get the larger adapter and a step up ring, or two adapters.

If these are the two lenses that you plan to use most of the time and if you plan on using the filters on a regular basis, it might be a good idea to just leave the step up ring on the smaller lens so that both lenses are 'always' 82mm. Then buy an 82mm lens cap for it.

Hello Big Mike!
Yes, I am looking into buying square type maybe Lee, still reading about various brands and filter types.
Wanted to ask what are the most practical graduate filters or combination?
I was thinking of buying .3, .6, .9and use combination of 3 or 2 of them if needed

Hello Big Mike!
Yes, I am looking into buying square type maybe Lee, still reading about various brands and filter types.
I was thinking of buying .3, .6, .9and use combination of 3 or 2 of them if needed

Definitely the best choice. I'd suggest the soft edged ones--they are more versatile. Hard edged GND's are a whole nother animal.

Hello Big Mike!

Definitely the best choice. I'd suggest the soft edged ones--they are more versatile. Hard edged GND's are a whole nother animal.

You got some nice collection of filters!
Yes, i will probably go with graduated lee filters
thanks for the advise

Hello Big Mike!

You got some nice collection of filters!
Yes, i will probably go with graduated lee filters
thanks for the advise

Anytime! I could talk filters and landscapes all day.

I could talk filters and landscapes all day.

Well, since you mentioned it :mrgreen:, what would you recommend for 150 or less for a Hawaii trip?

Well, since you mentioned it :mrgreen:, what would you recommend for 150 or less for a Hawaii trip?

Hmmmm.... That's a tough one! If I had to take only one filter... A solid ND. Maybe 4 or 5 stops... That might be the most versatile filter.

Jake

Hmmmm.... That's a tough one! If I had to take only one filter... A solid ND. Maybe 4 or 5 stops... That might be the most versatile filter.

Jake

Cool, thanks. I am looking to just get some nice pics during the day; meaning really bright. You think the screw in style is better or a plate system?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back