ND filters

BrentC

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For my trip to Portugal I've been thinking of getting an ND filter to do some long exposures. From my research it seems I should be staying away from variable ND filters. Have I got that right? I don't want to spend money on multiple filters so looking at just getting one. If I am just getting one should I get a 10-stop? Thinking of the B&W 10-stop, is this a decent brand?

There's nothing wrong with variable NDs, as long as you get a quality one. Stay away from the cheap stuff, or the ones that make outrageous claims (like being 2-15 stops). And keep in mind that even top-end VNDs suffer from the dreaded "X" when dialed up to maximum.

I use a Singh-Ray VND up to 8 stops. A B+W for 10 stops, which my version is more like 10.3.

There's nothing wrong with variable NDs, as long as you get a quality one. Stay away from the cheap stuff, or the ones that make outrageous claims (like being 2-15 stops). And keep in mind that even top-end VNDs suffer from the dreaded "X" when dialed up to maximum.

I use a Singh-Ray VND up to 8 stops. A B+W for 10 stops, which my version is more like 10.3.

Something like the Sungh-Ray is more than I want to spend. I am not a landscape photographer so don't want to spend a ton of cash on something I am not going to use often. Since I am going to be in a gorgeous place I want to dip my toes in. So looking for a reasonable priced filter.

This is the one I was looking at, which may be the same as yours:

B+W 72mm SC 110 Solid Neutral Density 3.0 Filter 65-1066176 B&H

And if I were to get just one filter should it be a 10-stop?

Not sure exactly what you want to photograph but I think a 10 stop might be a little excessive. You may want to consider a 6 stop if you are only going to get a single filter. A CP would be pretty high up on my list for landscapes/seascapes.

Some good info here:
How to Choose Your First Filters (and Which Systems to Use) - CaptureLandscapes
My Favorite Neutral Density Filter - CaptureLandscapes

There are several places with waterfalls, sunrise, sunsets, seascapes. You think 6-stop would be best? I do have a CPL, but haven't used yet. Thanks for the links.

If you’re not looking to make a huge investment, I’ve had decent luck with ICE filters in Amazon. They are 30ish dollars for a 10 stop glass filter.

Does it color shift a bit? Yup. That takes me less than 30 seconds to fix in Lightroom.

There are several places with waterfalls, sunrise, sunsets, seascapes. You think 6-stop would be best? I do have a CPL, but haven't used yet. Thanks for the links.

I think a 6 stop gives you more flexibility than the 10 stop and may very well be all you need. Keeping the ISO at 100 and aperture at f/11 should still give some fairly long exposures with a 6 stop. Using the CP in conjunction with the 6 stop adds another stop. With a 10 stop you will have a lot of blurry water and clouds.

Whatever you choose try and get some practise before your trip.

I like my 8 stop. Gives plenty enough to slow the shutter way down, even on a sunny 16 day. But, still easy enough to compose, meter, and focus through. I often use it in conjunction with a cpl which gets me about 10 stops total.

BW is a top-notch products!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Good idea on stacking, the only thing to watch for is potential vignetting.

Looks like a nice ND filter kit. PLENTY of options to choose from, and a beautifully engineered concept.

So I decided to give the new brand Gobe a shot. I also like their support for the environment. Reviews are pretty good. Gives me a variety to play with. Hopefully it comes in soon so I can practice before the trip.

https://www.amazon.ca/Gobe-Filter-Kit-72mm-16-Layer/dp/B06XVTXJSX/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1526683594&sr=1-1&keywords=Gobe+ND+Filter+Kit+72mm+MRC+16-Layer:+ND2,+ND4,+ND8,+ND64,+ND1000

That kit makes much more sense than just a single 10 stop filter.
What you will find is you will probably use a spread of densities; example ND8 (3 stops), 64 (6 stops) and 1000 (10 stops). I don't think ND2 and 4 will buy you very much.
But use it and see what works for YOU and what you shoot.

I have a 10 stop filter, but that is on one end of the spectrum. And it is like an all-or-nothing filter. I need to get the 3 and 6 stop in-between filters.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Makes me wonder if I should pick up a 6ND filter too. I'm travelling to Greece next week and I'm bringing my only filter: a CPL. But I'm also unsure how much ill be stopping and setting up a long-exposure shot as well...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back