ND for Drones

0ptics

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I have the DJI Mavic Pro 1 and wanted to shoot long exposure waterfall drone pictures.

1) Is shooting at 1 sec with the Mavic too slow for a rushing waterfall during daylight? I want to get that silky smooth water motion blur but for everything else to be sharp.

2) Should I be using Tripod mode versus normal?

3) Seems like NDs go by 4, 8, 16, etc. Which individual ones or set should I get? I'd hate to waste battery life & time switching on and off different ND filters. Is there like a general rule (eg. harsh sun use 32, while overcast use 16).

Thanks!

My first thought was that there was no way a drone could be held steady enough for a long exposure.

My first thought was that there was no way a drone could be held steady enough for a long exposure.
Concur. You may get useable images, but that will be about it. As good as drone technology is, a >1 sec exposure isn't going to be sharp. Air currents, minor corrections, etc, are going to result in sub-par images. As well, especially on larger water falls there are often unique localized air currents that will further complicate matters.

Concur. You may get useable images, but that will be about it. As good as drone technology is, a >1 sec exposure isn't going to be sharp. Air currents, minor corrections, etc, are going to result in sub-par images. As well, especially on larger water falls there are often unique localized air currents that will further complicate matters.

You know, after I posted that I did consider that the camera may be gyro-stabilized. It may work if that's the case but I don't know how well a system like that would work on a consumer-level item.

My first question would be........ is the camera on the drone even capable of long exposures?

Most reactions

Back