What's new

ND Grad Filter

KaPOWitsCHRIS

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Aug 21, 2011
Messages
108
Reaction score
39
Location
Earth
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm looking to find a ND Grad filter for my Canon 72mm 28-135mm EF lens.. but I have no idea what to go for. I've had a quick look on Google and no where really seems to give any solid advice.
 
You can get round graduated filters, that screw in just like most filters, but the problem is that they always have the split right in the middle. So the filter will sort of determine your composition, which doesn't sit well with me.

A better solution is to buy a square (rectangular) grad filter. This way, you can slide/position the filter to fit the composition that you want. To accommodate the square filters, there is usually a corresponding filter holder kit. A popular brand is Cokin. The holder is two pieces, one is the lens adapter, which has to match the filter diameter of the lens and the other part is the filter holder itself. Cokin has (I think) 3 sizes of filters. A, P and X(Pro). The smaller sizes are OK for smaller lenses and/or normal viewing angles, but if you have a really large lens or a really wide angle lens, you'll need a larger size.

Some people don't use holders at all, and just hold the filters up to the lens with their fingers.

As with all filters, there are cheap ones and expensive ones. You probably want to avoid the cheapest ones, but that being said, there should be plenty of old/used filters floating around because they are largely obsolete in the digital era.

I don't know the designations, but you may see that some filters have a greater ratio (darker on the dark side) and the transition from filter to clear will vary as well. For example, some might be a 'split' filter with a hard transition, while a 'grad' filter is more gradual.

There are also plenty of colors available (not just neutral).
 
I'm one of the guys that either just holds the filter up or tapes it to the lens. Come to think of it, the reason I did this was because originally I used a slim CPL which doesn't have foward threads for another filter or attachment, so I couldn't use the cokin filter holder. But now that I can, it's still faster and more convenient for me to keep doing it the same way I have been. Not to mention it's one less thing that I have to have in my ever-expanding bag.

I bought a cheap set in the P series (to fit my 77mm 10-22mm) and although they are difficult to keep clean (maybe glass ones are too, I don't know), they don't give me any noticeable color cast and they get the job done. Perhaps glass would give me better image quality, but I doubt that I could tell a difference.
 
I use a lot of the Cokin 'P' size, and tend to just hold them against the lens as well. I do notice a distinct reddish/violet colour cast if I'm shooting toward/into the sun, but that's easily controlled or elimnated by a lens shade. I keep an 8x10" piece of matte-black craft foam (<$2.00 at Wal-mart or Michael's) in my bag and form it to suit when the need arises.
 
Not sure what is allowed to say on this forum, hopefully it sticks, but take a look at this site and you will find out a good bit. Call them to if you have specific questions.

*Filter connection*
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom