What's new

Neck or hand strap?

Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
3,719
Reaction score
534
Location
Here N There
I just got a Nikon F4s, which is quite a beast. It's heavier and much bigger than my F501. I also realized that my hands are too small to get a good grip(with one hand). I need to get a strap of some sort before I will dare to take it out.

Ideally I'd like something that acts as both wrist and neck strap. Currently, I just coil my neck strap around my hand for this, but it's never really secure unless I take the time to make more loops. A hand strap will be very handy for this.

On the other hand, a neck/shoulder strap is definitely much more versatile. I don't have to worry about using both hands for something else with the camera on me.

So what would you suggest? Any particular product that you want to recommend?
A big part of me wants big Nikon logo on the strap because I am pretty stoked about the F4s. I don't mind being seen is the show-off dude. Plus, I've always carried a strap with big Nikon logo, so it's not new to me. However, most non-Nikon branded straps perform better in comfort and price too. Is there a good strap that has big Nikon logo on it?

Another thing is durability. My current strap on the F501 is the original strap, and it's not going to let go. The ends are sewn, so they literally won't let go. I feel safe with it. I want the same confidence with the new strap, so the less gimmick(like catches and releases) the better.

Thanks!
 
Have you tried the R-Strap from blackrapid.com? I recently got one and LOVE it.
I have heard a lot of people say they like the Lowepro neck straps. I think they are the Transporter ones. I plan on trying one of those at some point, but the R-Strap has me hooked right now.
 
I use a hand strap and love it, I hate having anything around my neck.
 
CxThree, believe it or not, I once had my camera fall off the tripod(mounting head broke). Bad situation. Now when I have my camera on my tripod, I have the habit of grabbing the strap just in case. With the R-Strap, I will have to remove the strap to mount it to the tripod. I don't think I am comfortable with that.

I am definitely going to order a neck strap. If I get a chance, I will also get a hand strap and figure out a way to have both on. Otherwise, I will see how I can create a solution based on my neck strap to give me a good grip.
 
Have you ever tried wrapping your neck-strap around you wrist? That's what i do and i find it works quite well.
Edit: sorry seems i've forgotten how to read.......
 
Last edited:
R-Strap! I love mine (even tough I have a rather smallish camera body). It hangs at my side always ready. Perfect for hiking or just walking around.
 
I use the neck strap, I think the hand strap will make it to hard to get to my gun, if I need it.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom