Need a better tripod

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
During a couple of recent outings, I’ve struggled with my tripod. Couldn’t get the plate to snap in/out in the dark, locking it in to place was complicated, the center column prevents me from getting it as low as I’d like, wind vibration caused camera shake... It’s a fairly cheap one that I’ve had about 8 years but it hasn’t gotten a lot of use. Some of my struggles are probably lack of practice using it but sone are not. Now that I’ve taken an interest in night photography I need to step it up a bit.

Anyone love their tripod and want to recommend it?

Looking for specific model recommendations. It’s for a mirrorless and I don’t have a lot of heavy lenses. Looking to spend about $300 (including ball head). I want to get something this week. I’m ok with used.

I have a really old heavy meant photo/Bogan, which used to be called the 3051, it is extremely sturdy and goes exceptionally low. This is an expensive tripod and has been re-numbered since I bought mine. The fairly well known web photographer Karl Taylor discusses this "automatic tripod "on his YouTube channel. You can set up adjust and lock the Stratford in 10 seconds

I have a really old heavy meant photo/Bogan, which used to be called the 3051, it is extremely sturdy and goes exceptionally low. This is an expensive tripod and has been re-numbered since I bought mine. The fairly well known web photographer Karl Taylor discusses this "automatic tripod "on his YouTube channel. You can set up adjust and lock the Stratford in 10 seconds

Thanks Derrel. I should have added to my post that I’ll be hiking with this thing so it has to be fairly light weight. My current tripod is 4 lbs so something that weight or lighter is what I’m looking for.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Look for used to start with... out of all the tripods I own (way more than any one person should), only one was bought new. Also, don't limit yourself to one. A light, CF, four section for hiking, and a heavy, aluminum, three section for everything else. I have a couple of Manfrotto model 055 that I like a lot. One important thing is to ensure that the QR plates are common (Manfrotto, RRS, etc) and easy to get, and that all tripods use the same one. The other thing to remember is that the head should cost at least as much, if not more than the legs.

I should have added to my post that I’ll be hiking with this thing so it has to be fairly light weight. My current tripod is 4 lbs so something that weight or lighter is what I’m looking for.
Light weight might mean it will vibrate in the wind. If you really need stability, nothing beats weight. Some tripods have a center hook upon which to hang additional weight. But then you're walking, so there's that.

IMO, get more than one. A sturdy one for when you're driving, and a light-weight one for when you're walking.

there are very few 4 pound tripods that I would consider adequate for nighttime work or any long exposure work for that matter. A bit of research will show probably that the Bogen 3001 leg set is the best value, although I think it is a bit lightweight.

I own three tripods of 13.5 pounds,9 pounds,and 6 pounds, the heavy one is the best for stability,the carbon fiber is a big unit, relatively speaking; it is the only tripod I will dare take on a hike

I would also say manfrotto you mentioned vibration silly Q did you take your camera strap off if they catch the wind they can vibrate the camera
Like above I have gone for a system tripod, all the qr plates are interchangeable I also have clamps that take the same ball heads for when I can’t take a tripod I use the clamp
Ok back just been to the manfrotto web site. Serious attack of gas coming on. They even have mount bars to take 2 to 4camera
May be worth having a look there

Look for used to start with... out of all the tripods I own (way more than any one person should), only one was bought new. Also, don't limit yourself to one. A light, CF, four section for hiking, and a heavy, aluminum, three section for everything else. I have a couple of Manfrotto model 055 that I like a lot. One important thing is to ensure that the QR plates are common (Manfrotto, RRS, etc) and easy to get, and that all tripods use the same one. The other thing to remember is that the head should cost at least as much, if not more than the legs.

Thanks - good tip about the QR plates.

I should have added to my post that I’ll be hiking with this thing so it has to be fairly light weight. My current tripod is 4 lbs so something that weight or lighter is what I’m looking for.
Light weight might mean it will vibrate in the wind. If you really need stability, nothing beats weight. Some tripods have a center hook upon which to hang additional weight. But then you're walking, so there's that.

IMO, get more than one. A sturdy one for when you're driving, and a light-weight one for when you're walking.

Seems like that is the way to go.

there are very few 4 pound tripods that I would consider adequate for nighttime work or any long exposure work for that matter. A bit of research will show probably that the Bogen 3001 leg set is the best value, although I think it is a bit lightweight.

I own three tripods of 13.5 pounds,9 pounds,and 6 pounds, the heavy one is the best for stability,the carbon fiber is a big unit, relatively speaking; it is the only tripod I will dare take on a hike

I'll look into that one thanks!

I would also say manfrotto you mentioned vibration silly Q did you take your camera strap off if they catch the wind they can vibrate the camera
Like above I have gone for a system tripod, all the qr plates are interchangeable I also have clamps that take the same ball heads for when I can’t take a tripod I use the clamp
Ok back just been to the manfrotto web site. Serious attack of gas coming on. They even have mount bars to take 2 to 4camera
May be worth having a look there

I had my camera strap off.

Ok I did say silly Q I have seen straps flapping in wind I also assume then that there was no local source of vibration

Twist locks or lever locks? The one I have now has lever locks.

First, be clear about what you're looking for. All tripods are compromises. One that is rock solid for astro photography will probably suck at macro or food photography. One that is great for travel and will fit in carry-on bags isn't going to be rock-solid stable at full height. That you now you'll be hiking with it is good. So it needs to fit in a backpack or fit outside your backpack. But start by recognizing that you don't want to try and buy a tripod that does everything.

Second, I too have multiple tripods. I have a travel tripod that is light and small but isn't that good if I extend the center column and will vibrate in the wind. I have a heavier tripod that is great for long exposures. I have a platypod that I got for trips where I can't take my travel tripod and/or will likely be shooting indoors or macro stuff. I'm also looking at getting a monopod for sporting events.

I'm a big fan of Manfrotto--very reliable and a good range of options.

Finally, I'm going to give you two cheats that allow you to do longer exposures with a tripod designed for hiking. Think weights (like tying a water jug or backpack or sandbag to the base of the center column) to help stabilize the tripod. Also, get a wireless trigger (especially for things like light painting, astro photography, water blur, etc.). Those might allow you to get a tripod that works for hiking (lighter, multiple segments so it folds up smaller but it less stable than a much heavier tripod with only 2-3 segments per leg).

First, be clear about what you're looking for. All tripods are compromises. One that is rock solid for astro photography will probably suck at macro or food photography. One that is great for travel and will fit in carry-on bags isn't going to be rock-solid stable at full height. That you now you'll be hiking with it is good. So it needs to fit in a backpack or fit outside your backpack. But start by recognizing that you don't want to try and buy a tripod that does everything.

Second, I too have multiple tripods. I have a travel tripod that is light and small but isn't that good if I extend the center column and will vibrate in the wind. I have a heavier tripod that is great for long exposures. I have a platypod that I got for trips where I can't take my travel tripod and/or will likely be shooting indoors or macro stuff. I'm also looking at getting a monopod for sporting events.

I'm a big fan of Manfrotto--very reliable and a good range of options.

Finally, I'm going to give you two cheats that allow you to do longer exposures with a tripod designed for hiking. Think weights (like tying a water jug or backpack or sandbag to the base of the center column) to help stabilize the tripod. Also, get a wireless trigger (especially for things like light painting, astro photography, water blur, etc.). Those might allow you to get a tripod that works for hiking (lighter, multiple segments so it folds up smaller but it less stable than a much heavier tripod with only 2-3 segments per leg).

Thanks for the input! I will have to plan on getting more than one. I'm going to check out my local camera store tonight and see what they have in the used tripod area.

Twist locks or lever locks? The one I have now has lever locks.
It's mostly a matter of preference. I prefer the lever style. They're quicker, and I can do it one-handed when I need to. The other issue is that (depending on the style of the leg), if a leg gets dented, a twist-lock may not function correctly, whereas a lever is more likely to.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back