Need a better tripod

I still need to find something for long exposure/astro stuff. I think many of the issues I had the other night were user based. Going to give it another try with what I have after practicing a bit on setting it up in the dark and using the one snap QR now that I know it needs to be oriented a certain way I can mark and notch the plate so I can do it without a light. After that I can see where my current tripod is really lacking and go from there.

Get a RED head lamp and flashlight, so you can work in the dark without destroying your night vision.

I still need to find something for long exposure/astro stuff. I think many of the issues I had the other night were user based. Going to give it another try with what I have after practicing a bit on setting it up in the dark and using the one snap QR now that I know it needs to be oriented a certain way I can mark and notch the plate so I can do it without a light. After that I can see where my current tripod is really lacking and go from there.

Get a RED head lamp and flashlight, so you can work in the dark without destroying your night vision.

Yes I ordered one of those too!

Won't add more to your spend-a-thon aside from suggesting a look at a Manfrotto Super Clamp and their brass thingie that allows mounting of a ball head. The clamp can be attached to a tripod leg for low-level shots---or nearly anything for rock solid support.

When I was a kid and just starting out in photography I had a 1940s all-metal tripod with telescoping legs. it was really a crappy machine, but I was able to use it with some care and practice for a lot of tripod shots. In the ensuing years I have become more and more critical of tripods that are not really steady, and I am particularly critical of tripod heads that might suffer from what's called creep. When you lock the head it should stay at exactly the right place, and if you have to aim the camera slightly higher or lower to compensate for the movement that happens when you lock the head down, then you are just setting yourself up for a frustrating experience. Fairly well-known Nikon author Thom Hogan has had a really good article on his website about the right way to select and buy a tripod only one time, by buying right the first time as opposed to a process of Serial upgrading from good to better to best.

Actually i m a photographer but usually with low budget so in low budget i bought a tripod for my handy cams and SLR also from a web site name technamart with best warranty and better products if u need than u can go visit and check out there new deals

Fairly well-known Nikon author Thom Hogan has had a really good article on his website about the right way to select and buy a tripod only one time, by buying right the first time as opposed to a process of Serial upgrading from good to better to best.
Thank you for sharing this, I was trying to remember where I read this article. I disagree that the average photographer needs a $1000+ tripod, but Thom makes some valid points on buying right the first time, vs. buying right after buying cheap and realizing the hard way why it was a waste.
Link: Tripod 101 | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

When I was a kid and just starting out in photography I had a 1940s all-metal tripod with telescoping legs. it was really a crappy machine, but I was able to use it with some care and practice for a lot of tripod shots. In the ensuing years I have become more and more critical of tripods that are not really steady, and I am particularly critical of tripod heads that might suffer from what's called creep. When you lock the head it should stay at exactly the right place, and if you have to aim the camera slightly higher or lower to compensate for the movement that happens when you lock the head down, then you are just setting yourself up for a frustrating experience.

Fairly well-known Nikon author Thom Hogan has had a really good article on his website about the right way to select and buy a tripod only one time, by buying right the first time as opposed to a process of Serial upgrading from good to better to best.

I agree on the droop.
That is also a problem when people use a camera with a long lens, then screw the CAMERA to the tripod. The center of gravity is way in front of the tripod, making it difficult for the tripod to hold up the camera. You have to JAM the elevation lock TIGHT to try to hold it up.

What I have an issue with Tom's article is that it seems like he is advocating ONE tripod.
That is a "jack of all trades, master of none" situation.
Or "master of few, and poor at others."
Like we have multiple lenses for different purposes, I have multiple tripods (and heads) for different purposes.

I had to get a gimbal head, because both 3-way pan and ball heads, were dismal failures when trying to track a fast moving subject.
For me, a ball head is a PiA to use for precision alignment, A 3-way pan head is better, and even better is a gear head.
Again, no ONE single solution. A jack of all trades, is a master of none.

Got the new tripod delivered today. Feels solid. Pics later if you're interested.

Haven't had a chance to take any pics of the new tripod but wanted to follow up to say it met all my expectations on my recent photo weekend. A huge improvement over my old one.

Most reactions

Back