Need a bit of advice, if any applies in this case

CoBilly

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I just bought a canon 50mm 1.4 to take on a weekend trip to Aspen. We will be camping two nights but the primary reason for the trip is for the Aspen/Snowmass hot air baloon festival. Is there anything specific I should pay attention to when shooting hot air baloons? Or is it just like anything else, try to make it interesting and correctly exposed?

Oh, mods, if this isn't in the proper forum feel free to move it

50mm might be too long, especially on a crop sensor is you are close.

Keeping the Sun to your back might be a good idea...? Maybe not possible though.

Of course, the Sun peeking through a bunch of balloons would be cool too...

Well, I've shot exactly ONE huge hot air balloon festival, and what I noticed was that there's often a front-lighted side, and there's a back-lighted side. On the back-lighted side, close-in shots look awesome, but as you move farther away, then the back lighting causes the sky to typically be a bit over-exposed, and the colors on the balloons are good. So, keep in mind which way the SUN is in relation to the balloons when they get aloft. Once balloons are up and aloft, being on the FRONT-lighted side (with the sun behind your camera position, and coming in,over your shoulder) keeps the balloons and the sky "equal" in exposure, and gives lovely, rich color.

Down on the ground, if you CAN, try and get close to the crews as they gas up the balloons...sooo cool looking!

Thanks for the input everyone.

im going to have an 18-135mm STM & a 70-300mm DO with me as well so I've got my bases covered. We're also going to be there both days so I'll have plenty of time to play with angles & lighting and such.

Derrell- where did you go to that balloon fest? I've heard the Aspen/Snowmass balloon fest is a huge deal and one of the biggest in the country

I wouldn't advise shooting a wide shot at 1.4. That aperture has special uses, none of which apply to generic photography. Close down a couple stops for some sharpness. It won't matter as much with true silhouettes, but if you're looking for general sharpness close down. What is the main reason photographers go to hot air balloon events? Color. You also have shape, patterns, people. Make good use of it. Choose a white balance that matches the light (daylight or cloudy) for accurate color rendition. Avoid auto, which changes depending on where you point the camera. This would also be a perfect event for using an incident light meter to get one reading for the light and lock it in with manual so you don't have to worry about exposure every time you move the camera. But even incident metering is subjective and should be understood.

CoBilly said:
Derrell- where did you go to that balloon fest? I've heard the Aspen/Snowmass balloon fest is a huge deal and one of the biggest in the country

I went here in the Kodachrome 64 Professional days! The land around Walla Walla is part of what is called "the Palouse"--and the landscape in the spring there is exceptionally beautiful and photogenic, with rolling hills for miles and miles, planted in hard white winter wheat for the most part, which is lovely and green by early May.

Walla Walla Balloon Stampede - Walla Walla Valley Chamber of Commerce

Walla Walla STampede + photos - Google Search

Hirejn- Thanks for the tips, I'll keep those in mind. I rarely use auto white balance but I'll experiment a little. I'll probably shuffle through "Understanding Exposure" a couple more times this week too

Derrell- I'm getting pretty excited seeing those shots, that looks incredible!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back