Blurry Pics

ropeman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I take pictures at my daughters soccer games. I take around 1300 pics in a 1 hr game. I am lucky to get 1/3 of those pictures clear. I am not sure why. The field is still the smaller soccer field, she is not on the adult size field yet. I sit at the one end of the field to take pics. My daughter is the GK so she is at the other end of the field. I am thinking I need more of a zoom the 300 zoom is still too far away sometimes. I have read a lot of things online and here about all the different setting. For the longest time I just used the generic sport setting on the dial of the camera. I changed setting around and tried to shoot some in the aperture setting and shutter setting. Didn't seem to make a difference in the pics.
So here is my question, what setting should I use to shoot U12 girls playing soccer? All of these games are during the day. Sunlight is strong usually unless it is a cloudy day.

Thanks

$IMG_0990[1].JPG$IMG_0991[1].JPG$IMG_0992[1].JPG$IMG_0993[1].JPG$IMG_0994[1].JPG

The 1st 3 are of my daughter and out of focus. The last 2 are better pics.

Last edited:
Without pictures to analyze, we have to wonder if it is camera movement that is causing blur. Whenever you are using a telephoto lens, your shooting technique should be to hold the camera very still, even if you have boosted the shutter speed. Taking action shots usually means the photographer is trying to pan or take quick shots, and not always holding the camera steady. Do you have a monopod available? If not a monopod, then you can use your tripod even if the legs are tied together (for portability). Also, the point of focus is important as well.

Asking photo questions like this without sample photos is like asking your mechanic what's wrong with your car without bringing him your car to look at.

Ok, I will post some pics tonight to show you what I mean.

Thanks

Yes, I use a monopod. I do try to take action shots and pan the camera fast. I like to get action shots.

Could be your movement or shutter movement, although being outdoors in sunlight it should be possible to get a fast enough shutter speed (at least 1/250 but 1/500 or 1/1000 or faster would be better - if it's cloudy you might not be able to get as fast a shutter speed as when it's sunny).

I'd slow down because for an hour game that's a huge number of photos per minute. Can you sit along the sidelines? You could try different vantage points, try going early and finding a place (maybe during the end of the previous game or in between games) where you'll be able to get the net and goaltender in the frame.

If you can be where you're facing her, and can get her framed in your viewfinder, then wait til the action comes to you (to your end of the field). That gives you time while play is at the other end of the field to get set and ready so when play comes in front of the net you can get shots of her in action.
Think about what will be in the frame, notice your backgrounds, and be aware of keeping the camera steady and straight. I find it helps me sometimes to lower the camera and take a few seconds break then reframe the shot - I think like many things it takes practice and as the season goes on you might find you're getting better at keeping the camera steady and at periodically checking and making sure the shutter speed is fast enough.

edit - Or the panning could be the problem, I've done hockey for years but don't feel like panning is that easy for me; that takes practice too. Try practicing on the dog or cars going by or something til you're able to do it and get shots without the blurriness

Sharon,

I know I take a lot of pics but I do take pics of the whole team. there is a team Facebook page that I use to save all the pics too. That way all the parents and the girls can see the pics that turned out good. The girls really like seeing them. I know some parents have saved the pics and then got them printed out for frames also. So just not taking pics of my kid. Anything taking pics helps me with is my sanity well my daughter is sometimes what stands between a win and a lose.
I have tried the sidelines but I usually dont get good pics because everything is a side view. This is why I went to taking pics form the end of the field. I get the girls facing me. I try to keep the camera steady but I know I dont always do a good job of it. I do not have the camera with me but I am sure the shutter speed is either 1/500 or 1/1000 setting.

Thanks

Hi, ropeman. Thanks you for posting some pictures. Unfortunately, the EXIF does not contain the exposure data. Will you please post the EXIF for one or more of these shots, please? Include the lens, ISO, shutter, and aperture.

BTW: do you have any filters attached, such as a UV filter?

these almost look digitally zoomed on a pns camera.

Are those photos heavily cropped?

The first batch simply looks out of focus, in which case you need to learn techniques for sharp focus. I'd need more information about the other images.

Seeing the pictures now, these don't look like camera movement or shutter blur, but look like exposure and/or focus problems. See what your meter is indicating when you're shooting in bright sunlight, looks like your camera was getting too much light for those first three, maybe the aperture needs to be smaller.

Even if you want lots of pictures if you take time to think about your camera settings and adjust during the game as the light might be changing and as the players move around, that could help you get better pictures.

The Canon 70 to 300 zoom is not particularly sharp and if you are heavily cropping and/or shooting outside the sweet spot of the lens, that will only exasperate the problem.

The pics are cropped. Some r only shot woth the 70 lens not really zoomed out. Like I said I am a full soccer field away from my daughter so I need to work on zooming out to 300 and focusing better. I usually dont have a lot of time to react. I will work on it

Thanks.

I shoot some kids soccer and I spend my time walking from end to end, hoping to catch good action.

You have a crop frame camera so at 300 mm you are close to 500. That 's a long lens (but also not so sharp)
1200 pictures in an hour is just huge; 20 a minute for an hour.
I would bet you just aren't getting focused when the shot is taken; is the camera set to allow exposure when not focused?

Most reactions

Back