Need a Flash

Ptyler22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.harvardpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am now shooting basketball, and I need a flash. I want a good flash, that will be powerful enough for basketball and various indoor sports. Is a 580EXII my best option or is there one that will do the job, but not cost as much?
Thanks a lot!

How close are you going to be to the action? Are you going to be firing the flash straight ahead? I have the 580EX II and it's effective indoor flash range is only 50 feet (with a lot of fall off at the end of the range).

I would check out Strobist as the guy there has done some GREAT basketball shots. He does a lot of preplanning ( for example mounting remote flashes above the D ) and uses multiple flashes.

I would check out Strobist as the guy there has done some GREAT basketball shots. He does a lot of preplanning ( for example mounting remote flashes above the D ) and uses multiple flashes.
i would agree your best bet will more than likely come from remote flashes rather than one on camera flash

I will be shooting basketball mostly, so the distance ranges anywhere from like 5 feet to like 70 feet.
I used a 580EXII the other day and I had it pointed up to the ceiling, and bounced it, that worked for anywhere from 5 feet away from me to about 15 feet away, but then it wasn't bright enough. I am not sure what settings it was on though. This is one of the shots I took with it, not sure if you can get flash exif.

IMG_1034.jpg

I really can't mount strobes in the gym, they wouldn't like that very much, and I don't want to spend more than like $350, max. But I would love to be able to do that.

If they're happy with you taking flash pictures shouldn'e be any problem with mounting strobes - you need to get the light to the picture and from 20-30 feet away it'll be tough unless they are closer to the target. It's something you do before the match starts when the room is quiet.

If they're happy with you taking flash pictures shouldn'e be any problem with mounting strobes - you need to get the light to the picture and from 20-30 feet away it'll be tough unless they are closer to the target. It's something you do before the match starts when the room is quiet.

How much do decent strobes cost?
I was also pointing the flash straight up, so it wasn't a bright flash on the players. Are strobes going to make big flashes that could be distracting to HS players who aren't used to playing with flashes going off?
Thanks

Price is pretty much as much as you can afford. I paid £37 for my SB-22 which is probably the lowest level flash worth buying. SB-24 and SB26 are popular second hand choices. Strobist has lots of advice on that far more than I know.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back