What's new

Need a large umbrella with a diffuser

zamanakhan

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 2, 2010
Messages
473
Reaction score
29
I've been looking for a soft box to use with my speed lights. Some require speed rings and none are available at the right price, iam willing to make a comprimise and getting a bounce umbrella that has a diffuser on the flash side, so the light gets bounced on the silver side and then gets diffused and then hits the subject. It will mostly be used for portraits and i would like to keep the price to a min. If money was no issue then i'd have a huge softbox with dual sb-900s. my max for this is $60
 
I would second Kerbouchard's suggestion of the Softlighter; either that, or the Lastolite Umbrella Box, which is basically the same type of modifier. Both are top-grade enclosed reflecting umbrellas with a diffusion panel front; if want lower-cost umbrellas than those two name brand models, Steve Kaeser Enterprises sells some Chinese made knock-offs that are decent, at around two for $34.
 
I would second Kerbouchard's suggestion of the Softlighter; either that, or the Lastolite Umbrella Box, which is basically the same type of modifier. Both are top-grade enclosed reflecting umbrellas with a diffusion panel front; if want lower-cost umbrellas than those two name brand models, Steve Kaeser Enterprises sells some Chinese made knock-offs that are decent, at around two for $34.
THESE ARE EXACTLY WHAT I NEED... now iam kinda torn about getting the name brand or the chineese knockoffs... i gues iam going to purchase this next week when i get paid, along with another sb700 :D (which they still had sb600's for $200)
 
+1

They are cheap, fits any flash and they produice much better light than regular umbrellas. you will need a bit more power but a sb-900 in there is no problem, you can probably fit 2 with a home made dual bracket

I have 2 softlighter (But from another brand) I used them as Key light with great success, the light is smooth and really well diffused.

look at my thread about the dual bracket.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...36651-diy-dual-flash-bracket-speedlights.html
 
I use the Lastolite Umbrella Boxes myself, and had two of the Steve Kaeser Enterprises knock-offs that I bought from his eBay storefront. I gave one of the Steve Kaeser ones to my buddy MSW, since I never have a need for four enclosed umbrellas,and besides he's a good buddy,and I wanted him to have a FAST set-up, softbox-LIKE light that would work well for on-location flash photogrqphy for newspaper advertising on-site ads, which he was shooting for about a year. I really like this style of light modifier, due to the several qualities that it has.
 
I use the Lastolite Umbrella Boxes myself, and had two of the Steve Kaeser Enterprises knock-offs that I bought from his eBay storefront. I gave one of the Steve Kaeser ones to my buddy MSW, since I never have a need for four enclosed umbrellas,and besides he's a good buddy,and I wanted him to have a FAST set-up, softbox-LIKE light that would work well for on-location flash photogrqphy for newspaper advertising on-site ads, which he was shooting for about a year. I really like this style of light modifier, due to the several qualities that it has.


The Steve Kaeser is what i have, they are not the best built but i used them quite alot and they are still in great shape. 2 for 50 bucks, you cant go wrong.
 
+1

They are cheap, fits any flash and they produice much better light than regular umbrellas. you will need a bit more power but a sb-900 in there is no problem, you can probably fit 2 with a home made dual bracket

I have 2 softlighter (But from another brand) I used them as Key light with great success, the light is smooth and really well diffused.

look at my thread about the dual bracket.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...36651-diy-dual-flash-bracket-speedlights.html

sb-900's are out of the question, too much $$$ i wouldnt mind another sb600 but with the price hike rather get a 700. I would LOVE a 900 but cant afford a 70-200 (going for a used sigma...) a new 50 prime AND a 900 :( maybe i should just start saving some $$$$ I tried ordering these from bh but they require an confirmed address, iam in canada and usually have stuff shipped to my sisters house in the states and drive over and pick it up. I have ordered tons of stuff from them but i dont remeber them needing this... i'll just have to wait till adorama has it in stock.
 
You can also get a Parabolic umbrella :P
 
whats the difference between a parabolic umbrella and a regular one? i just thought it would create a more even stream but isnt that it? gonna google it...

ok just did a bit of research but its kinda hard to find one thats for flashes, any suggestions?
 
Last edited:
Ebay radio poppers, Metz 45 CL4 and some white rip-stop nylon that you can Velcro over the front of a large umbrella.

The 45s are self contained and have manual settings for ease of use. the 60 CT4s need a battery pack but are manually adjustable as well. The 45 or 60 refers to the guide number. They are amazing in auto mode- really accurate.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom