Need a macro for Nikon on a budget

sometimes I actually like to hear the lens focusing... some of my lenses I have no idea if they are actually focusing or not when they are so quite and moving in short distances that you cant pick up within the viewfinder.

Thanks for the insight!

I doubt any new-born images will actually reach true macro (1:1 on the sensor, or for most cameras less than 18mm). Even a shot of just the baby's hand is significantly bigger than this. So the images you're taking will technically be close-ups rather than macro.
Standard macro lenses will be good for this but many 'macro' zooms are also actually adequate. However I would opt simply for a set of extension tubes for a moderate telephoto, allowing closer than normal focus while not getting the lens so close to the baby as to disturb it. Splash out for a set that includes all the electronic connections & your typical 50-200 lens will cover anything your likely to need for new-born shots complete with AF. If you have a shorter focal length lens as well you'll be able to get to greater than life size if you do want the baby's fingerprints individually :)

My 50 & 85 primes as well as my 24-70 are typically my go-to lenses for any shots not involving high detail. I don't think I can invest in a 50-200 right now. Anything with macro capability whether a prime or zoom would be fine, just trying to do so on a budget. I will look into the extension tubes... thanks!

Another budget option is closeup lens/filters, a set of 3 lenses.
The good thing is it does not decrease affect aperture, and the AF and auto functions of the lens still work.
I suggest starting with the weakest lens of the 3 in the kit, and see if that does the job.

The only issue is, what diameter to get, since you have several lenses.

One "con" for me is the fact that this lens has a mechanical switch to switch from regular auto focus to manual macro use. You have to switch "gears" to use the macro function, but it works just like any other auto-focus portrait lens when the switch is in "auto". Not a deal-breaker for most users, but you should be aware of it.

The Tokina is a D lens, so the camera needs a AF motor in the body to turn the screw drive AF mechanism, otherwise it is manual focus.

I was going to say Laowa 25mm Macro...you could even take photos of the baby before it was born

sometimes I actually like to hear the lens focusing... some of my lenses I have no idea if they are actually focusing or not when they are so quite and moving in short distances that you cant pick up within the viewfinder.

THIS ^^^^. YES!, a hundred times, YES! I agree wholeheartedly, I often really,really,really like to hear, and feel that little "dzzt!" sound of an AF or AF-D Nikkor being driven to a new focus acquisition. And also, in a few instances, the AF-D screw-drive focusing lenses focus FASTER than the newer AF-S models; the 50/1.8 AF-S G and the 85/1.8 AF-S G are both somewhat slow-ish focusers; earlier AF-D 50 and 85 models focus faster. I agree 100%: at times, the silent AF-S lenses are sometimes so quiet,and there's no feel or feedback, that it's sometimes difficult to sense if the lens has actually acquired a new focus. I always shoot in AF-C mode, so to me, the screw-driven focusing lenses are something I'm A-okay with. On the high-end d-skr bodies with strong AF modules, the AF and AF-D Nikkors focus quite well, possibly because the newer, d-slr cameras are a decade, or two decades, or three decades newer than the early AF film Nikon SLR cameras and their old-time AF modules, around which those lenses were originally designed.

Another budget option is closeup lens/filters, a set of 3 lenses.
The good thing is it does not decrease affect aperture, and the AF and auto functions of the lens still work.
I suggest starting with the weakest lens of the 3 in the kit, and see if that does the job.

The only issue is, what diameter to get, since you have several lenses.

The triple sets tend to be single element lenses, which don't give top quality. If using diopters I prefer a Raynox 150 or just one of my other lenses reverse mounted on the front. Both of those could be a little too powerful for typical new-born shots.

The sigma 105 f/2.8 is nice.

THIS ^^^^. YES!, a hundred times, YES! I agree wholeheartedly, I often really,really,really like to hear, and feel that little "dzzt!" sound of an AF or AF-D Nikkor being driven to a new focus acquisition. And also, in a few instances, the AF-D screw-drive focusing lenses focus FASTER than the newer AF-S models; the 50/1.8 AF-S G and the 85/1.8 AF-S G are both somewhat slow-ish focusers; earlier AF-D 50 and 85 models focus faster. I agree 100%: at times, the silent AF-S lenses are sometimes so quiet,and there's no feel or feedback, that it's sometimes difficult to sense if the lens has actually acquired a new focus. I always shoot in AF-C mode, so to me, the screw-driven focusing lenses are something I'm A-okay with. On the high-end d-skr bodies with strong AF modules, the AF and AF-D Nikkors focus quite well, possibly because the newer, d-slr cameras are a decade, or two decades, or three decades newer than the early AF film Nikon SLR cameras and their old-time AF modules, around which those lenses were originally designed.

I had/have this “issue” with my Fuji 35mm f/2. At first I was even refocusing on something else further away and then coming back to get the lens to focus before I realized that it was just that fast. Now that I’m used to it I trust it but it did take a while to get used to.

Op - if you’re subject is a sleeping baby for close ups I would think manual focus would be the best option to ensure quiet and accuracy.

Lots of good suggestions here; I'll toss in a few more that are pretty cheap. Try reversing a 28mm prime on your Tamron 90. That gives a nice ~1:4 ratio and doesn't cost much. Also look for an enlarging lens. the 5 element Nikon 50 is a good one, you could also try a 75 mm Nikkor. These lenses, reversed, make excellent macro lenses and give you working distances if about 2" - which is great for lighting.

"It is in the optical department that the Phoenix 100mm f/3.5 macro lens shines. It is really quite sharp, with excellent center resolution, and pretty good at the edges. Stopped down to f/8 or smaller, there is very little to pick between this lens and more expensive types. It does not match the superb Tamron 180mm f/3.5 macro but it certainly is on a par with the Nikkor 28-105mm f3.5-4.5D IF AF in macro mode, and much better than that lens at the edges. It is possible to count the hairs on an insect's body, though they don't show the hard-edged crispness of the Tamron or a micro-Nikkor.

Mounting the 1:1 adapter (a 49mm screw-in two-element filter) allows the lens to focus in to life size reproduction. Again, once stopped down the results are quite respectable, especially in the center. The edges are quite acceptable.

Contrast is excellent in the "bare" mode, and not too bad with the adapter. Color rendition is a little cool."

More at the review, here:
Phoenix 100mm f/3.5 Macro Lens Review - Page 2

I have it in the Pentax mount. Build quality is not up to what I like, but as the review says, the optical performance is very good.

6199228429_8e58419d55_b.jpg

Most reactions

Back