Need a new lens, Telephoto maybe?

Corbin Lane

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I've been using a Sigma 70-300mm with my XTi. It works wonders but I want something with more zoom. So what are your recommendations for lenses. I don't want to spend 1000's of dollars though. I think my max price is 500.00.

I will be using this for sports photography.

I would say that you're probably out of luck. If you're going to be shooting sports, that means you need fast glass; fast=expensive. Even on the used market a decent f4 400mm is going to run you north of $1000, and an f2.8 300 or larger, well, you may as well put your first-born on the auction block.

Well its not really going to be practical to get something longer than you have if you want to stay under 500 and still have decent IQ

I think you should look at something like the sigma 70-200mm f/2.8. It has a little less range but it is alot faster which helps alot for sports

I would say that you're probably out of luck. If you're going to be shooting sports, that means you need fast glass; fast=expensive. Even on the used market a decent f4 400mm is going to run you north of $1000, and an f2.8 300 or larger, well, you may as well put your first-born on the auction block.
Yeah, That or a kidney on the black market.

Thanks for the help everyone.

hmm if you can afford something like a canon 70-200mm L USM f2.8 lens then you can use that with a 1.4 and 2* teleconverter to get more length out of it if you need to.
There is also and IS version of this lens (image stabalization) but that is a little more in cost

ps I don't know US prices so can't help much there - sorry

Also look at the 70-200mm f/4 L with or without IS

Well with the Sigma 70-200 you can still use a teleconverter, I believe.

^^^^^correct

Its also important to note that the canon teleconverters only work with canon L lenses (the white ones ;)) due to the physical construction of them which means that they will not conect to other lenses (there might be a few where they will work, but the majority don't)
So if you are after the sigma lens you will have to get sigma teleconverters

Hi, if you are shooting sports outdoors you can buy a teleconverter 1.4 or 2x to extend the reach of your zoom by those multiplication factors. They do cut out a stop or 2 of light. There are longer telephotos but they usually come at a higher price.

I wanted to add that I got a tamron teleconverter that fits several of my canon lenses, I think they also fit sigma lenses.

I wanted to add that I got a tamron teleconverter that fits several of my canon lenses, I think they also fit sigma lenses.
What one did you buy?

I bought the 2x tamron teleconverter. I have used it several times outdoors to get a closer shot of a bird or animal.

Most reactions

Back