Need a wide angle lens recommendation

Igal-K

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,
I need a recommendation for an excellent DX format wide angle lens for my Nikon D500. The budget is ~ $2,500 (obviously preferably much less, but if it's worth it - can even get a little higher).
Requirements:
  • Not prime lens
  • Razor sharp
  • As fast as possible
  • Ability to screw on filters
  • As little distortions as possible
  • Image stabilization is welcome, even though I'm not sure such wide angle lens exists, don't think I saw one
Manufacturer is not an issue, so it can be Nikon, Tamron, Sigma, Tokina etc...
Mainly (but not limited to) purposed to shoot landscapes and seascapes.
I'll be happy to see some examples too, if you have any.

Am I asking too much or do such lens exists in nature?

Thank you very much!

Nikon 10-24mm was a great lens. I enjoyed it, but found I wasn't using it much. It's around $600-700.

Nikon 10-24mm was a great lens. I enjoyed it, but found I wasn't using it much. It's around $600-700.
You are referring to Nikkor 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G DX ED AF-S, correct? I'm definitely considering this lens. Along with Tokina 11-16 f2.8. Still can't decide... :)

You are referring to Nikkor 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G DX ED AF-S, correct? I'm definitely considering this lens. Along with Tokina 11-16 f2.8. Still can't decide... :)

I have the Tokina 11-16 and it's a good lens. The constant 2.8 is very handy. I've used it more for real estate photos than for landscapes (which was my original reason for buying it). It's really good when you have a awkward angles or need to get a photo of a small room. For landscapes, for me, it makes the middle of the photo too far away to be compelling unless you have some very interesting foreground. I'm told it's also great for astro-photography although I have yet to try that out myself.

There is one knock on the lens - Google Tokina 11-16 flare/ghosting issue. I had this happen maybe once or twice but not an overwhelming problem. I don't use the lens that often though.

If you want razor sharp you go with a prime, if you want pretty darn sharp + convenience you go with a top quality zoom.

If you want to take your landscapes to the next level you read this: Why you Need a Telephoto Zoom Lens for Landscape Photography

My recommendations would be the Nikon AF-S DX 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G or the Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8 or Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8.

If you want a zoom as fast as possible, I think the answer is simply the Tokina 11-20 f/2.8. I was actually just looking at these myself.

Nikon just announced their 10-20 and the MTF charts say it's pretty damn sharp, but it's also f/4.5-5.6.

Thank you all for your answers and suggestions!
Eventually I didn't go for Nikon as it wasn't fast enough. Tokina 11-20 has a 82mm filter diameter, and a several of the next lenses I want to buy have a 77mm diameter. Beside, the 82mm filters are much more expensive. So... my wide angle lens of choice became Tokina 11-16. Here's a sample image I made with my new toy:
19402114_10155298795919651_2117329388177541201_o.jpg

Thank you all for your answers and suggestions!
Eventually I didn't go for Nikon as it wasn't fast enough. Tokina 11-20 has a 82mm filter diameter, and a several of the next lenses I want to buy have a 77mm diameter. Beside, the 82mm filters are much more expensive. So... my wide angle lens of choice became Tokina 11-16. Here's a sample image I made with my new toy:

Just for further reference. For $10 to 15 you could have picked up a filter adapter to mount 82mm filters on your 77 lenses. I do this so I can buy very good B&W filters. I have a full set of filter adapters. I can even put 77mm on 52mm lenses. Now for the ultra wide lenses you may get vignetting. But for the most part you can have one set of very good filters for the majority of your lenses. And you bag will be much much lighter.

I have had the 11-16 for maybe 8 years now? And have had no complaints. But I would go to the 11-20 if I were buying now. 82mm filter thread would not have stopped me. The 11-20 has nearly the same ratings and that little bit extra range. And the in lens focusing motor. Can be used on the cheaper Nikon bodies.

Going by your sample shot. Your going to be happy with your choice.

Most reactions

Back