Need advice for shooting indoor event..

FoundMyCamera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently I shot photos for my church's vacation bible school, I've been asked to shoot photos of the upcoming youth rally, and I need some help.

I have a Canon Eos dslr with a 17-200../3.5-5.6 lens. Built in flash only. I learned some things just from my vbs experience, like the ability to adjust the WB and tricks to eliminate camera shake. However, I hate shooting in the main room where the event spends most of the time. It is a large room, much like a social hall, the lighting can vary according to what is going on (music worship, the stage lights are on but the audience is dark...this drives me nuts) and I'd love some tips if you have any!

I am thinking of getting a speedllight flash...although I'm not sure how great it will be in a room so large I have trouble bouncing it off anything. I used the built in flash last time, but either it is too strong because i am to close, or it's worthless because I am to far away...it was hard to gauge the ideal distance.

I was also wanting to get a faster lens...I was looking at the 50mm/1.8 as I see this is great for indoors, but I also understand if at 1.8 the DOF will be minimal. With my 17-200 I set a low ap depending on FL and pumped up the ISO to 800 or 1600 in some cases.

Would I benefit from one of these items, or any tips for making the best of my camera? I'm no professional photographer although I consider it a hobby and I really enjoy helping my church out here...I really want to do the best i can and learn as I go. :)

I was looking at the 50mm/1.8 as I see this is great for indoors, but I also understand if at 1.8 the DOF will be minimal.
Only if you're close to your subject. The closer you are the narrower the DOF will be. The farther you are the deeper the DOF will be.

I JUST took pictures for MY church at their VBC a couple of weeks ago. So much fun! The main chapel is the most challenging part, for sure. I have a Speedlite and it really was the only way to go, honestly for those huge dark rooms. Also, a set of wireless triggers. I got the Cactus V4's and they worked great. I had a high school kid help me with it. He would aim the flash up toward the beams at the ceiling and the light would bounce back forward toward the stage (or vice versa for audience shots). It really was the only way to do it. Here are two examples. The first was when the flash didn't trigger. This was shot at 1/60 SS (which is about as low as you're going to be able to go...and even this isn't going to work in a high energy environment like a VBC) , f/4 (which isn't a much smaller aperture than your 3.5) and at 640 ISO (which is about as high as MY camera can go without it being too noisy, in my opinion). The second one is the same settings but with added bounced flash. I know that you said you don't have a speedlite yet, but I can't urge you enough to make it your next accessory. It opens up ALL kinds of possibilites. Best of Luck to you!
IMG_6970.jpg
IMG_6971.jpg

hey that guy has the same guitar as me..

Thanks for your help! Thanks for taking the time to post some photos too. That first one? Yeah, a lot of mine looked liked that when I tried to open up the aperture and no flash. I just feel like the built in flash was to in-your-face in a lot of the shots, especially with the darkened lighting....anyway, a few others are suggesting the flash as well so I'm going to start hunting...

Most reactions

Back