Need Advice On Night Shots

BRABUS27

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, Is there a technique to use full potential of your flash during night shots? I only use a Nikon Coolpix 5700 and I dont think I can replace the lens and flash on this camera. I want to get a bright picture of the car bbut still be able to see the background. The place was totally dark, no light post whatsoever. I will buy a tripod soon.

DSCN2204.jpg

I would like to take a picture like this but at night and be able to see the whole car.

ABC.jpg

thanks for the help!

*also, does anyone know a free watermarking software that I can download?

This can be done effectively, but only with off-camera flash.

The problem with a car and a small compact flash is that it'll go off, full whack and then you'll have a bright flare on the car with the ground illuminated. This is essentially what's happened for your first shot.

To achieve this, buy or borrow another flash (or use another camera) and expose as normal for the car/background. Then with the separate flash, go to the side of the picture and fire from the ground upwards to illuminate the car. You'll want to fire again from the other side to even it out. This will be frustrating, difficult and will require a lot of attempts, but it is doable!

Rob

You'll have to take the flash off the camera. Here are four methods:

1. You can put the camera on a tripod and then 'paint' the car with
the flash. You'll need a spot where there are no other intruding lights.

2. You'll need a flash extention cord. Then place the flash where it will evenly illuminate the side of the car.

3. You'll need an accomplice. Have the accomplice hold the flash in the correct position. Open the shutter. Have the accomplice flash the flash. Close the shutter.

4. You'll need a slave flash unit. Position the slave where it will fill in the corners, as it were. [Apologies to Tolkheim.]

wow thanks for the fast response. now I have to go buy a flash.

A flash, being a sharp source of light would not light the car nicely.

Get a tripod, set the camera for maybe 8 seconds and "paint" the car with a DD flashlight from different angles.
Don't use the flash at all.

Most reactions

Back