Need advice on some equipment for my camera..

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sorry I don't know the correct lingo for what I'm about to ask... kinda forgot some of the names for certain things :lmao:

I have a canon t3i, and one of the things Im getting into is portraits. My question is.. well, two questions are..

1) I forgot if you call em triggers? (maybe Im wrong, could be, lol) but, to break it down, I want those things (lol) that go on the camera, and the light and it makes the light flash when I take pictures. What exactly is that called? Those two pieces. And my 2nd question is.. What would the light be called?

Now, what I wanna know is, if anyone has any links to these things, because I'd like to read up on them and buy the correct ones (the light and triggers)

Hopefully I'm explaining myself right? If not, please ask me more questions, cuz I would really like some advice.

Is there a set/bundle where I can get everything included? (the triggers, and light)

Thank you in advance! And sorry for not knowing the correct words :confused:

The devices you might be looking for are flash triggers. They come in essentially two flavours: separate transmitter(attached to the camera) and receiver(attached to the light) or combined transceivers that can act as both transmitter and receiver(you'll need at least 2 of these - camera and light).

The light source can be of a few different types - ordinary battery operated camera flashes, or standalone studio lights called moonlights, or separate studio heads and a power distribution and timing centre.

One transmitter (or transceiver) on your camera and one receiver (or transceiver) for each of your lights. You could get away with as few as only one receiver if your other lights can be set up as optical slaves. Note that if all your lights can be fired optically then you could fire them using your pop-up on camera flash.

The simplest solution offer the least control whereas most control is achieved with increased complexity.

Some people call them radio remotes (because they operate on radio frequency) and they remotely trigger your flash.

Most flash types will work with those, but in the studio, I would get regular studio strobes, often referred to as "monolights" because the unit (one = mono) has the power supply built in.

Thanks so much for the reply :)

Btw: Would you happen to have any links to the wireless flash triggers and lights I should get? (From ex: Adorama, B&H, Ebay, Amazon and so on)
I know I can look it up myself, and I have, but I'd like someone more professional to show me some good ones, that you know would definitely work.

Thanks again! :D :D

Go to YouTube and search for "Photography Studio Equipment". You'll get lots of informative videos walking you through just about every bit of kit you could want to know about for portrait shooting.

.........................t I'd like someone more professional to show me some good ones, that you know would definitely work.

Thanks again! :D :D

Well, you could always get some BronColors, or Profotos. ;) They'll certainly work. :lol:

My budget? I honestly I'm not 100% sure as of yet. Obviously not expensive. Maybe cheap to in between? hmm.. just basically something that will work in my bedroom. Nothing too fancy as of yet, you know?!

My budget? I honestly I'm not 100% sure as of yet. Obviously not expensive. Maybe cheap to in between? hmm.. just basically something that will work in my bedroom. Nothing too fancy as of yet, you know?!

If you need absolute bang for buck on a budget look at the Interfit line at B&H or the Flashpoint line at Adorama.

You really do need to have some sort of budget, as well as usage parameters, before you'll get any truly useful advice. Are you going to need to be mobile? Are you looking for a proper studio set up? How much space do you have?

If you're looking for something to use in a home studio set up and it doesn't need to be mobile, go with proper studio strobes (vs speedlights). With studio strobes you get much more power and better light distribution, as well as more and cheaper modifier options. Look for something with a common mount. Speedlights are going to cost more and the modifier options are going to cost more, while the light output and spread isn't ideal for use in a modifier, but they are small and easy to take with you.

For outright budget I'd look at Flashpoint or Interfit lights. The Flashpoint 320M ($100) is a simple but stout light that is priced right. It should offer all the power you need for indoor use. Adorama also has a line of affordable light modifiers so you shouldn't have any issue there. They have a set of simple radio triggers available as well. One light and trigger would set you back about $140. Then you have to look at getting a light stand and whatever modifier you'll want. They also have a kit (stand/light/softbox) for $150, and I'm pretty sure they have a two light kit as well.
From B&H you have Westcott, Interfit, and Impact. They all have entry level monolights starting around $150. From there the options start to open up as your budget does.

Here's another vendor with a completely integrated system including lights, stands, modifiers, and radio triggers.

Paul C. Buff, Inc.

If you go through this site in detail, you will find that they sell packages (look under "help")

You can begin with a package deal and then mix and match until you get just the equipment you need. The staff there are very friendly and helpful.

They have their own brand of radios, and some will work with Pocket Wizards as well. You can get battery packs to go outside away from house power. You can purchase additional lights, modifiers, stands, and whatever else your heart desires at a later date, and it will all work together.

Good luck!

Have fun!

Most reactions

Back