Need advice regarding camera

Nezumi-kun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D3100 since 2011, however, not until now did I have the interest in utilizing its potential and functions. I was used to setting the camera in automatic, hence, it was not utilized properly.

Recently, I became interested in photography. But since I'm still in training (as a med), my budget is limited at the mlment. I would like to ask if it would be better if I just buy additional lenses for my D3100 (I've read about prime lenses) or it would be much better if I buy a new one (entry level mirrorless/dslr)? I only have the 18-55mn kit lens at present by the way.

Thanks a lot in advance guys!

You don't say your budget or intended shooting type, but the Nikon 35mm f1.8 dx and the 50mm f1.8 are two inexpensive lenses that will allow your camera shine better than the kit lens

Oh, welcome to the forum btw

Thanks jaomul! Currently I'm studying how to take portrait and night shots.

Btw, considering a budget of around 500 dollars, will it be better if I just use my D3100 and invest in new lenses, or buy a new dslr/mirrorless camera (to be upgraded later on)?

If it were me I'd buy lenses first. Once you stick with Nikon fit lenses you can upgrade body later.

If portraits I'd get the 50mm f1.8. I'd then add something like a yongnuo yn 560 iii flash unit and a set of yongnuo triggers, not the TTL ones, read up on that flash. I'd probably also look at an umbrella and a softbox, maybe some stands. You should have change from 350 dollars

Oh, possibly add a tripod, a cable release and a 5 in one reflector. All these combined will open infinitely more possibilities than just upgrading a camera body

Thanks! Will do that. Btw, I noticed something on my camera. On the left upper side there's a dark mark. I guess they aren't part of the pictures since there were marks when I uploaded photos last year. I only noticed them recently btw. Is it a sign that a part of my camera is malfunctioning (sensor etc).?

I'm really a noob to photography. I'm sorry for asking many questions. Hehe.

Attachments

• 20180107_173347.jpg
    20180107_173347.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 111
I'm not sure, looks like the lens hood getting in the way. I'm only on my phone at moment so can't really see it well, someone else might chime in

Thank you! What I noticed was, it looks like a screen problem. As I was zooming the pictures, and looking around the photos, the "dark border" remained within the frame. How do I correct this?

You probably can't fix this. It doesn't look like it's to much to worry about

I think you could go either way with this situation - upgrade the body or the lens or... you could do both if you buy used/refurbished. You could get a used 3300 for around $300 which would almost double your MP count and get you better high ISO performance. A used good condition 50 1.8 can be had for under $150. There’s so much quality used gear out there. +1 on your getting a tripod if you’re planning to shoot at night and a flash if you’re going to get into portraiture. Check out Neewer for a budget flash option.

I would practice and shoot a lot.
The 18-55 kit lens will likely work for 80% of what you shoot.
Then decided what lens to get next, if you feel the 18-55 does not do what you want it to do.
IOW, get to know the gear you have, before looking around for more gear.
Gear does not solve the problem of learning to use your camera, good practice does.

I think you could go either way with this situation - upgrade the body or the lens or... you could do both if you buy used/refurbished. You could get a used 3300 for around $300 which would almost double your MP count and get you better high ISO performance. A used good condition 50 1.8 can be had for under $150. There’s so much quality used gear out there. +1 on your getting a tripod if you’re planning to shoot at night and a flash if you’re going to get into portraiture. Check out Neewer for a budget flash option.
Thank you! Will definitely take that into consideration.

I heard a friend tell me before that DSLRs have a lifespan (he mentioned a specific number of shots and told me that after it reached that number, the quality would start to deteriorate). That's why I'm having 2nd thoughts on buying 2nd hands.

I'd like to ask if that is true or not. This forum is way more reliable than my friend. Haha.

Thank you! Will definitely take that into consideration.

I heard a friend tell me before that DSLRs have a lifespan (he mentioned a specific number of shots and told me that after it reached that number, the quality would start to deteriorate). That's why I'm having 2nd thoughts on buying 2nd hands.

I'd like to ask if that is true or not. This forum is way more reliable than my friend. Haha.

I think he was probably referring to shutter count. Most shutters are expected to have at least X number of shots in them - most last even longer than that. If you buy used, you can check the shutter count (google how to do that since I’m not going to type it all out on my phone). A lot of the new and refurbished bodies are store demos or returned merchandise that’s very new. Most of my Nikon gear was bought used or refurbished with great results. I bought my 7100 refurbished from Cameta Camera. It came with a one-year warranty and had only 188 shutter activations. Expected number for that camera is 150,000.

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/ni/NI_article?articleNo=000003332&configured=1&lang=en_US

If you buy used over the Internet, stick to well known places like Adorama, B and H, and Cameta camera. They all offer some sort of limited warranty whether it be 30 days or a year depending on which store and also they all accept returns.

Most reactions

Back