Need Advice - Which Flash Gun for Canon?

drogie21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I need to get some advice on what type of flash gun to buy for my Canon 5D. Firstly I have no experience with flash what so ever so am literally an open book to advice. I shot my sisters wedding a month ago with no flash. I knew the risk I was taking but believe it of not I handled it quite well. But I felt for some of the family photographs and possibly the first dance I could have done with a little flash. Everything else I was able to handle due to the capabilities of my camera gear. My gear for that day was:

2 x Canon 5D Mark iii (1 hired)
Sigma 35mm f1.4
Canon 85 f1.2 (hired)

I had been researching some of the flashguns out there such as:

Canon 430EX II
Canon 580EX II
Canon 600EX RT

I know there is some price difference between them but can you give me advice on whats best or very capable of handling what I need? Am literally looking for something thats going to deal with family photos and first dance. I know that may seem vague but am looking for opinions on whats the best option?

Thanks all in advance :)

How many are you planning on buying right now? If you're just getting one, I'd go with the 600. The built in radio transmitter is pretty cool, and in the long run it is something you'll likely want to have.

On the other hand, I use both the 580 and 600 every day, and haven't found any other great reason to use the 600 over the 580.

Hi thank you for the feedback. I plan on just buying one at the moment. So I suppose it would make sense if I was buying one I might as buy either one - The 580 or the 600? Would I totally forget about the 430?

Most reactions

Back