Need advice

jihad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Guys,
I am going to a photogrpahy workshop in a month and so far I only have the Canon X5 IS (P&S).
The camera is relatively good but lacks 2 things I feel:
- 8 MP is a bit low I feel
- Biggest aperture is F2.7

I usually like portaits and street&documentary photo and it will be useful to get a cam where I can easily blur the background.
However I must say that I don't think I mastered the use of my camera yet.

So you suggest I move ? Second: What do you think of the Rebel Xsi ?
(would it be good for what I am looking for ?)
Thanks very much

If you have the money and the desire, definately make the move. You will love the additional control you'll have over the P&S. I love my XSi, but I have nothing to compare it with. Look at my flickr photostream, for some examples of what I have learned in a few months with it. (not that I am an expert or particularly fantastic)

I'd tell you if you can afford it though, ditch the kit lens and get something better than the "consumer grade" lenses, you'll be happier in the long run. Trust me. :grumpy:

I never truly mastered my P&S either, because control was far to fiddly. The dSLR's have everything at you fingertips, and after a while you'll learn to change settings without taking your eye off the viewfinder :)

The Rebel XS will give you a lot of advantages over your point and shoot, but the kit lens that comes with the camera won't give you an f/stop advantage over your current camera. What you will get, however, are ISOs that are far more usable. At the same time, you'll be able to add lenses such as the EF 50 f/1.8 that will give you a major advantage.

Most reactions

Back