What's new

Need an inexpensive but good wide angle!

kkamin

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
515
Reaction score
17
Location
Minneapolis
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is for my Rebel xsi.

I am really happy with the Canon EF 50mm 1.8 at the price point of around $100.

I need something wider with good optics. Any recommendations? A 12mm prime or zoom. I don't want to spend more than $200 at this point.

Thanks!
 
Cheapest I could see on amazon was the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 but that was more than twice your budget ($470ish) whilst there was a slightly cheaper 28mm (around $350) but 28mm is not that wide on a crop sensor.

You might have to try ebay for second hand (though the 10-20mm was always popular and that might well keep its ebay bid price high even on 2nd hand) otherwise I think you might have to look at older film era glass to suit your needs.
 
a ''good'' 12mm prime (or zoom) for $200 is pushing it to say the least. you'd be buying 2nd hand..perhaps something like a Panomar 12mm f/8 fisheye (?). quality best described as variable. manual focus and you'd need a mount to attach M42.

better to double your money, get something like the Sigma that Overread mentions.
 
"I need a hot girlfriend who can also carry on a conversation....."

ain't gonna happen dude. one or the other.







p!nK
 
The closest to your budget is the 24mm 2.8. $340.

The 20mm is $470.

If you want wider than that, you're looking at L's. Didn't check prices, but you'll probably need to add a zero to the end of your budget...

Canon Lens Reviews
 
"I need a hot girlfriend who can also carry on a conversation....."

ain't gonna happen dude. one or the other.

p!nK

+1

Liked your analogy...

OR "I need a hot girlfriend that also has things other than her exterior like feelings!!! for example..."

ain't ever gonna happen...

Wide lense are already expensive. For the budget you have, your only changes are going for aftermarket and 2nd hand items...
 
Thanks everyone. I should spend a little more. I was just hoping that there was by some miracle a nice wide lens out there for an APS-C.
 
You could try picking up an old FD mount WA and an adapter (no AF but with a WA) might be closer to your budget...:lmao:;)
 
"I need a hot girlfriend who can also carry on a conversation....."

ain't gonna happen dude. one or the other.







p!nK

Bah, in a forum dominated by men I guess I shouldn't be surprised but seriously lol.
 
I bought a used 18-55 IS EF-S for under $100, and I'm happy with it. I'm not going to shoot a wedding with it, but I wanted a cheap, light wide-angle for walkaround shooting on vacation. It's cheap, light, wide, and it has IS which is a nice bonus. It's probably too slow for indoors, but it does what it says on the tin.
 
Budget is pretty low for most "good" lenses of any range. For 3x your budget I can attest to the Tokina 11-16 though (Nikon flavor for me). Very happy with its performance vs. price paid. Its the only good DX lens I own, rest are full frame lenses. I don't plan on staying cropped forever so don't want to buy DX lenses. But the Tokina caught my eye, and I have not regretted getting it.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom