NEED ANSWER my camera operating manual says that ........

zander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
...it shouldnt be taken from subfreezing temperatures to above freezing temperatures and vice versa. Does this meen i cant take it outside in the winter? or even inside a hockey arena?

lol...the ttt and to the top comments bewilder me...

Btw...hockey rink will not be below freezing? its cold...but not that cold...

and winter doesnt get that cold...just be carefull...

And it may mean, not straight from one to the other...as in dont bake it in an oven, then chuck it in the freezer :)

Actually I had a fear with my camera, thought id post here cause...it may be revelant.

It went wrong, off became on and on became off, then told me Erorr 05, I removed the lens cap...and it was fine?

zander said:
...it shouldnt be taken from subfreezing temperatures to above freezing temperatures and vice versa. Does this meen i cant take it outside in the winter? or even inside a hockey arena?

I think the concern is with condensation inside the lens or camera body. From warm to cold anything you can do to make the temperature change gradual would help. When bringing my cameras/lenses back into a warm house or car after being outside for a while in the winter I seal them in a zip lock back outside in the cold. This keeps them surrounded by the dry air, until they warm up to room temp.

ksmattfish has good advice.

You want to avoid condensation inside the camera and/or lens. Condensation is formed when you bring something from cold dry air (outside) into the warm air (inside). If it's really cold...Matt's suggestion is a really good one. Another option is to let your gear warm up slowly. Leave it in your camera bag or whatever, when you come in from the cold.

I like to put those little bags of silica gel (like you get in a shoe box) into my camera bag to absorb any moisture.

If you read the instruction manual for just about any product...it will say the same thing...aviod extreme temperature change. Just use common sense.

And artemis...
and winter doesn't get that cold...
I don' know where Zander is from but...It gets plenty cold in the winter around here ;).

Not cold in winters? :shock:

we're talking about winnipeg here
-35 man -40 with the wind chill

I haven't had many problems with my modern electronic bodies when bringing them in out of the cold; I don't always do the baggie trick. I haven't really had any problems with modern lenses either.

But my vintage gear is another story. Both the Widelux and the Rollei broke down when shooting outdoors on a cold day, and had to be sent off for repair. The shutters in old lenses get cold, and start moving slower and slower.

Also watch out for the camera body if it gets too cold, and you put it up to your face. You don't want it sticking to your face.

With temps below zero I'd say try to keep any cameras' exposure to the cold and elements as limited as possible.

-35 to -40 dude that is cold... Haha and everyone complains about the UK being terminally cold and wet, we've got it good in comparison :)

The weather here is the similar to Winnipeg. My plan...EGADS....is not to use the LCD and shoot in automatic modes during cold weather. The articule in the link on my past post says moisture/condensation is the #1 concern, I do not want to take the chance of freezing/wreaking the LCD. Plus by not using the LCD one can take many more pictures with a battery pack. Looks like I will be doing a fair bit of tweaking in PS. :)

Most reactions

Back