need computer geeks for this one

mmaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I work in municipal institution, 43 employees. We have one intern working on maintaining systems and everything related to computers. He is with me in office and doesn't know what is cyan in printer. So I hope you get the point...

Microsoft send a notice about how they will stop providing a support for Windows XP in march 2014. Almost all of our computers are with Windows XP. Glad to be in office to read that letter because the intern just put the notice aside.
Since I saw the intern in few occasions and how much does he really know I pretty much took over some major things related to computers (I don't know much but still know much more than people who work there). I did inventory and said to mayor that we need some new computers, OS, anti virus software...

So, there is some law process involved when public institution have to buy equipment, services etc... not really matter for this post. But I have to send a list to few suppliers with my demands in order to get the price of wanted things. Hope I explained...

I asked for Windows 7 Professional 50x, they sent me price for FQC-06908 WinPro 8 OLP NL Gov Legalization GetGenuine SmallandMedmOrgPromo
We will need Windows server 2x, they sent me price for P73-05821WinSvrStd 2012 OLP NL Gov 2Proc

I asked for Microsoft office package, anti virus software, AutoCAD, 26x DDR2 RAM to upgrade some computers, some printers and scanners...

And I need to build configuration for 9 computers.

4 of them we'll be for a finance and rural development department and knowing their needs they will do ok with dual-core processors with 4gb RaM.

4 computers are meant for Urbanism/Planning department. They use AutoCAD and have GIS Mapping software installed. Would quad-core processor with 8 gb RAM be enough? It will be definitely better compared to what they have now, but still?

And one wonderful new computer for me :) I've already build a configuration but do I really need 8 core core processor with 16 gb of RAM? When talking for myself keep in mind that I will use this computer for editing photos with CS6. SDD? Monitor will be IPS type.

I need to write a complete configuration for these 9 computers.

Please say your opinion :)

Last edited:
For an AutoCAD machine, you're going to want to give them a really good processor (i.e. i5/i7, e.g., i5-3750K).

If they are using it for rendering, then you want a really good GPU as well.

If you go with a SSD, then it needs to be large enough to house the installation files, and probably a second normal drive to store the DWG files.

8GB of RAM at the minimum.

8 cores is probably pointless, the tasks in AutoCAD are going to be single-threaded (unless rndereding), but if anything else it will be beneficial elsewhere.

I work for a University

Luckily we plan ahead for equipment changes and such as we moved away from XP a few years ago to Windows 7 Enterprise. (we have several thousand users).
We also, due to security keep out servers, etc up to date.

Windows8, or 8.1 (newly released) will do a few things for you
1 - drive your users crazy because it is so different
2 - probably require you to upgrade all your existing software, especially your CAD software. So look at those upgrade costs too. And don't forget your printer drivers, device drivers, etc. may also be an issue. You can download new printer drivers etc from the internet.

CAD machines as they get upgraded usually need more horsepower. The more horsepower the better. I have not used Autocad though in years. I used to use the DOS version, then the Windows version but only supported it until 2008 .. so I do not know it's current requirements.

With the windows servers depending upon your licensing strategy - are you just looking to upgrade the software or also hardward ??
- for software basically check the existing windows server and see if they are using a per connection user license or per user, or per server. I don't know your existing server version but it varies. You may want to keep the same server licensing strategy. It is vastly different from the NT days to today.

Also going to a new server, depending upon how old a server you are replacing may need to have some reengineering in how everything works.
You may want to consult a consultant in the revamp of you server infrastructure.

hope I made it somewhat simple. But I think you may need to get a consultant to develop a strategy and plan to implement new equipment.

I can't imagine any business installing win8 on their machines and expecting life to be easy from that day forward; hell you need third-party software just for it not to be so incredibly horrible and just almost-the-worst-thing-ever-created.

I can't imagine any business installing win8 on their machines and expecting life to be easy from that day forward; hell you need third-party software just for it not to be so incredibly horrible and just almost-the-worst-thing-ever-created.

Yes, I installed 8.1 and it makes it a little easier for Admins. But windows 8 was designed for a tablet interface, not a desktop computer. Drives me nuts and I've had it for 11 months. Let's not bring up the "ribbons" in office either.

I bought a laptop with win8; I'm going to be installing win7 over it this weekend. It's so bad it's offensive.

Whew... where to start? If you can hire the services of someone local who knows the first thing about setting up office systems, I think you'd really benefit from it. Doing an operating system upgrade of nearly 50 computers across your entire business isn't really a job you want to take on if you don't know what you're doing. If you want to equate this to trying to shoot a wedding without the proper experience or equipment, that might help.

I agree that right now, Windows 7 is probably a better option for you than Windows 8, not knowing anything else about your office. I've installed Win8 on a couple PC's now, and I'm very much looking forward to getting 8.1 on them -- Windows 8 is just a crummy interface for desktop PC's, as-is.

Regarding your new PC's, I'd stick to Intel processors, just to keep things simple. Most of your users can probably get by with Core i3's, with power users upgraded to Core i5's or i7's. I'd definitely bump up the RAM numbers -- 8GB minimum, 16 for the CAD machines. It's cheap, and Windows loves extra RAM. It's like a big ol' buffer in your camera. If you can get an SSD boot drive, that's a great option. Mirrored hard drives would be nice, too, but it seems to be difficult to find these in pre-configured systems. I've been doing this on my PC's for a number of years, now, and they've saved my butt a number of times.

If it makes any difference, I wrote up the specs for the PC I built this summer -- this would be more than sufficient for CS6, especially with the addition of a decent video card (I'm waiting for a killer deal to pop up during the holiday sales).

1. Donate, desy

Thank you guys!

We (my institution and few others) are going to move in a new building in the beginning of the next year. Everything will be new and this whole upgrading equipment process came in a right moment.

My task is to decide what to get for employees, to evaluate who needs just an upgrade with RAM, who needs to get a new computer, and what kind of computer/os/software should be bought. My task is not to install os/ software or do any upgrade to hardware. Someone else will be doing that. I'll do software install just for my computer.

Most computers we have can be upgraded to 4 gb RAM so I'll get additional RAM for them. They're not using any kind of demanding software and 4 gb RAM is more then enough for them. And those 4 new computers for finance and rural development are not a problem.

My biggest problem is other 5 computers/processors. As I said Planning department will have AutoCAD and GIS Mapping software installed. I decided to keep things simple and I'll be getting for myself and for them the same processor. Only difference will be that they already have monitors and I will get an IPS type (I've already got the advice for monitor :).

I heard about Windows 8 and that's way I asked them for Windows 7. I don't really know why they send me the offer for Windows 8 because they didn't write any explanation. Have to call them on Monday because I wont accept Windows 8.

"Service people" supposed to come today but they rescheduled, they'll be in my office on Monday. They will check some printers, copiers, scanners and servers. I'll get information about hardware servers from them.

I was talking to a supplier about other 5 computers/processors, for me and planning department, and he, as every sales person would do, is trying to sell me 8 core processor and AMD and what else. So that's way I'm asking you guys, to hear real opinions.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back