Looking to turn this desktop into a photo-editing computer.

NedM

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Dell OptiPlex 960 SFF Computer Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz, 4GB Memory, 160GB HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium
Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz Processor, 4096MB DDR2 Memory, 160GB Hard Drive, DVD Rom Optical Drive, Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit) Operating System

I want to turn this office refurbished desktop into a dedicated photo-editing computer.
I was hoping some of you guys can point me into the direction I'm looking for.

Also, keep in mind, this desktop severely overhearts. Whenever I preview photos and go from one to the next really fast, it shuts down.

Should I just scrap parts from this desktop and start from scratch and build on it?
What can I scavenge from this desktop anyways?
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The DVD drive looks like a keeper.

Other than that, I have a feeling you're going to want a little more oomph, but how much more is really sort of dependent on how much volume you're talking about. Personally, I'd be inclined to start over with a 64-bit i5 or i7-based machine of some sort. These really aren't super-exotic anymore. Lots of RAM, lots of HDD space.

There are some fairly informative PC-build threads here already, I believe.

What part of the computer is overheating?
My CPU and internal hard drive stay at about 40°C, unless the heat sink or fans are getting dirty. Then it starts running warmer and i know it's time to open and clean the case fans, and heatsinks.
You really need a 64-bit OS.
You need to add 2 to 4 GB of RAM memory.
You need to add 1 or 2 external hard drives - 160 GB isn't enough.
What is the output of the power supply?

The DVD drive looks like a keeper.

Other than that, I have a feeling you're going to want a little more oomph, but how much more is really sort of dependent on how much volume you're talking about. Personally, I'd be inclined to start over with a 64-bit i5 or i7-based machine of some sort. These really aren't super-exotic anymore. Lots of RAM, lots of HDD space.

There are some fairly informative PC-build threads here already, I believe.

Is there anyway you can link to some of the already informative PC-build threads here?

Is there anyway you can link to some of the already informative PC-build threads here?

Well, I guess I owe you an apology -- I know there were some good threads here, but I'll be damned if search is digging any up. Maybe something got lost in the upgrade. I saw the other one you started, and then there's this one:

Any desktop PC geeks here? | Photography Forum

In addition, if either of these help, this is my most recent build:

A PC for photo editing

And a follow-up with some of the thought process that went into picking components:

PC Build, addendum

The real question should be, "what's you're budget?".

That was the configuration of my old HP pavillion laptop except mine had Windows Vista.
I bought it for strictly word, except and web browsing. When I bought it it was not a configuration for video, etc. but at $300 was a great deal (unless you were a gamer / video person).

Any time I would do video or games or LightRoom it would start overheating.
Regular word, etc it had no overheating issues.
I made sure the fan etc was clean and such. In the upper left of the keyboard the fan would run all the time to try and cool it to no avail. I would put a small glass dish up there with ice cubes in it, which would actually melt quite quickly but keep everything really cool.

But that isn't recommended.
Save up a bit more for something better.

It will not work. Lightroom easily takes up 4 gigs of RAM on my computer, and is CPU heavy.

Budget really is the important thing here. I built my editing / casual gaming computer for $800 4 years ago, and it's still chugging along. Only upgrades i've had to make is more HDD's and more RAM.

Just realized this was an old post. Sorry for bumping T_T

Most reactions

New Topics

Back