Need help about Used Digital Cameras for Beginner!

domanhtien2007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone, how are you guys doing today? :)
I am a new member here. Nice to meet all the members here.:)
Now, I need you suggestions/advices/opinions about the used Digital Cameras.
I found these 6 digital cameras on amazon which fit my budget, but I dont know which one I should buy. I believe that you guys can help me with this:

1. Canon PowerShot Pro Series S5IS
[h=1]2. Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18K[/h]3. Sony Cyber-shot DSCH50
4. Sony Cybershot DSC-H9
5. Fujifilm Finepix S9100
6. Fujifilm Finepix S9000

I want to purchase one of these digital cameras to learn the basic about photography. Do you guys think that these cameras are suitable for my purpose? Or do you have any other suggestions or ideas for me? :)

Most of the pictures I am gonna take are portrait, landscape, motorcycle ( I have a sport-bike, and I often ride with my friends at night. :) ), indoor, and macro. In addition, I rarely take sport/motion pictures.
I am looking forward to receive your replies.
Thank you in advance.
Have a good day. :)

If you're truly wanting to learn about photography. Buy a good used D40 with a low shutter count and go from there. You're wasting your time with a bridge camera if you want to get serious.

What is your budget?

Yep if serious about learning photography then better served buying a dslr instead of a bridge camera New or Used kit. The smaller sensors of the bridge cameras and less capable in lower light situations. Pretty much dictates starting with a dslr.

Recommends:

Low: D40,D40x or D60 with 18-55 kit lens runs in the $250-$350 range and the minimum I would start with. Tho I became frustrated after 9 months with lack of built-in-motor,No flash commander mode. And lack of dedicated controls & features to grow into.

Med: D80 with kit lens. Built-in-motor,Flash commander mode. And more dedicated controls & features to grow into. Can easily last you 2-5 years depending on growth needs & use. Can be had for $300-$400 range. Better than D80 is the D200 which is the heavier beefier big brother with weatherization and ability to meter old Ai or Ais manual lenses. And can get used for the same price of the D80. So if weather resistance and tougher environment needing a more robust camera than the D200 can get the job done. But at the price of heavier camera. But some like me welcome that feel.

High: D90 with kit lens. Has all of the medium recommends of the D80 and gives better dynamic range & Better High Iso performance. The one I'm still using 3.5 years later and still gets the job done for me for the most part. Used looking at $500-$600 body only and another $100-$200 depending on what lens comes with.

The Newest and Highly recommend would be the D7000 with the 18-105vr lens. Goes for $1150'ish New and can be had in the $900-$1000 range used. And would last you the longest to grow into. As Has all of the above and more. Like dual card slots,Fine tune specific lens capability,Metering old manual Ai or Ais glass. And a 2-stop better Iso perfomance and and 1 stop of dynamic range of all the other recommends. But comes at a higher price.

The cheapest route I would start someone is the D80,D200 or D90 if possible. As the entry cameras with lowest recommended lacks critical features & controls that many find a need for the first year they are learning.

Get an entry level rebel DSLR from Canon. They are going cheap nowadays on Craigslist. I bought a t2i for only 400.

If you actually want to learn PHOTOGRAPHY, any used old DSLR will be a LOT better than these point and shoot stuff you listed. In fact the ideal way to learn it is to buy old "pro" DSLRs which give you the best controls.

DSLRs give you actually fast and good control over the photographic process, have fast autofocus systems that allow to capture quick subjects like kids and sports, and allow you to work on your lens collection for different subjects.

Compact cameras are mostly there for people who do NOT care about photography, but just want to "take pictures". They will have to do complicated and slow menu surfing for important parameters, the camera will be too slow for action, and there is no changing lenses ever either.

I tried to "learn" photography with a Canon Powershot G11 before and now that I have a D5100, its amazing how much different photography became, even if the D5100 was actually cheaper than the G11 (at least the body with the kit lens).

About Canon vs Nikon: thats an age old discussion that will never be resolved. Personally I favor Nikon for several key features, such as much better handling of speedlights and metering by color channels. I havent been able to find out about any major advantage of Canon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back