Need help/advice w/pet photography lighting equipment question for cat rescue group?

I linked to both the umbrella and softbox I actually own. both options come with stand for under $50 each.

Lets pick the umbrella stand, cheaper of the two at $30

a single RF603c trigger is ~$20.

a Canon YN560iii is $75.

Youre at $125. Really cheap off-camera flash setup.

To get TTL, you're going to have to add a RF603c trigger and go with the YN565EXc flash unit. That brings you up to ~$160. That might be a better option for when you need on-camera flash. So you can bounce the speedlight and let the camera do its thing to expose.

^^^^ BEST option

a little bit of a learning curve which you can learn without the cats initially

I used the "no flash" setting. However, this means the shutter speed is slower so I will get a blurry picture if they move even just a bit so it's a lot more challenging. Especially with high energy kittens. For me to have a faster shutter speed, I have to set the camera on a setting that uses the flash and unfortunately, it's an automatic one attached to the top of the camera and it pops open whether I like it or not. I also need to add that this camera has an automatic "pre-flash" light so there is no way I can avoid the cats squinting their eyes by the time that picture is taken. Thank you :)

You received some great tips not you need to figure out which one will be best for you and your budget.
I would consider using an off camera flash. A strobe with an umbrella will create unique soft light.

I am not sure how you photographed those great cat photos. You mention the flash causing their eyes to close and I will assume along with the others that you used the on-camera flash?

Looking forward to hear what you end up choosing!
Marguerite
Baby Photography Classes How to photograph baby. Baby photography class.

I used the "no flash" setting. However, this means the shutter speed is slower so I will get a blurry picture if they move even just a bit so it's a lot more challenging. Especially with high energy kittens. For me to have a faster shutter speed, I have to set the camera on a setting that uses the flash and unfortunately, it's an automatic one attached to the top of the camera and it pops open whether I like it or not. I also need to add that this camera has an automatic "pre-flash" light so there is no way I can avoid the cats squinting their eyes by the time that picture is taken. Thank you :)

You received some great tips not you need to figure out which one will be best for you and your budget.
I would consider using an off camera flash. A strobe with an umbrella will create unique soft light.

I am not sure how you photographed those great cat photos. You mention the flash causing their eyes to close and I will assume along with the others that you used the on-camera flash?

Looking forward to hear what you end up choosing!
Marguerite
Baby Photography Classes How to photograph baby. Baby photography class.

No .. it's not "there is no way (you) can avoid the cats squinting"

you've missed understood what off camera flash is.

above is recommended the use of a FLASH but one that is NOT part of the camera and is off the the side.
The flash(es) are triggered, or told to flash but using a radio frequency device, not the camera's built in flash.
With this you learn to shoot the camera in manual in , for instance,
ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/200th shutter
and every picture with the same flash setup will come out the exact same exposure.

And since it is a side flash with NO pre-flash, you stop any movement and the cats (or people) don't squint.

Have you ever been to a real photographer studio ?
same thing ..

EDIT: this is a simplier and easier reading --> http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2...-up-off-camera-flash-for-perfectly-lit-shots/

this may be a longer read than what you want .. but read this
Strobist: Lighting 101

Last edited:
FYI .. a "pre flash" is when you camera pulsates the flash to try and get the proper focus and exposure.
Thus it pulsates like 3 or 4 times BEFORE the flash fires and the camera takes a photo.
The cats are squinting because of the pre-flash.

with off-camera flash and learning how to do this in manual,
there is NO pre-flash, thus no time to squint

I've shot for an animal rescue before.
The answer is: Ambient light.
They're not looking for technical perfection.
Technical perfection is BORING. Fricking BORING!!
They want something with emotional effect.
They want something that will trigger that "awwwwwwww."
$DSC_9600.jpg$DSC_5171.jpg$DSC_4353-Edit.jpg$DSC_5168.jpg$DSC_0597.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back