Need help choosing a dslr camera

Georgia_louise93

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,
Recently I decided I want to invest in a dslr camera. I truly know nothing about cameras and photography but I travel a little bit and always wish I could take nice photos to look back on. I'm overwhelmed with choices and have no idea how I'll pick a camera! I'm not looking to film anything just take photos of landscapes and also portraits of people, not really interested in those super clear close up photos of bugs etc. I'll try and upload a few photos that I want a camera to take photos like.. my price range is around $800.. I've been thinking about the fujifilm xa-3, canon eos 700d or a nikon d5600.. just because I feel like they must be good if they're quite expensive.. yes that's probably dumb but I just don't know
please help me!!!!!!!

Please do not post pictures to which you do not own rights. You may post links.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you given any thought to a bridge cam like a coolpix 900? might be worth a look.

Nikon d5500 renders far better value, I'd just go for that with kit lens to start you off.

I agree, Canon has the better "IQ" image quality and offers a better value and greater selection of lens, etc. but go to a store and check them out for yourself
And don't forget the mirrorless options from Sony, Fuji, Canon, etc. - smaller, lighter but can still use the big DSLR lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Nikon d5500 renders far better value, I'd just go for that with kit lens to start you off.
Agreed, D5500 is 97% of the D5600
It offers best image quality, best dynamic range, potentially can produce the sharpest images.

D5500 w/2 kit lenses - $599. D5600 w/2 kit lenses - $899. No brainer.

The camera didn't do any of the pics in the OP. The photographer did.

When I went from a P&S to a DSLR my image quality tanked. Don't stress to much about which one and simply get one that's easy for you to use. Then practice.

The camera didn't do any of the pics in the OP. The photographer did.

When I went from a P&S to a DSLR my image quality tanked. Don't stress to much about which one and simply get one that's easy for you to use. Then practice.

I agree. Focus on something you can learn. My 70D takes superior shots to my Fuji X-E2, but I rarely bring the 70D out anymore. I get shots that I truly like out of my X-E2. This could be because I shoot mainly street or candid. I rarely do landscapes, headshot, posed shots, or sports anymore. The XE-2 isn't really quick enough for sports, but I can make do for what little I shoot until my daughter is much older.

Because it's always with me, and I enjoy the camera, I get more out of my X-E2. There was a time when I always carried my 60D and previous DSLR's, but once I got the 70D, my interests changed. Go with what fits your style, and something you will have in your hands often enough to master it. Getting the "buttonology" down so that making a change is second nature, and you can do it without pulling the camera away from your face. Getting down the settings that work best for you, and knowing how your camera reacts in certain lighting situations. You can do this with a mirrorless, an intro DSLR, or aFull frame.

One last thing, if you have ambitions of owning a high-end Canon or Nikon, start with that entry or novice level body. This way you can learn their system, and hopefully make lens purchases that will transition with you as you step up in bodies.

I did this, but wound up being happier with my fuji in the long run. now I'm looking to sell my canon gear and focus on the fuji system.

My standard advice for anyone new to photography: get an older, but at least "semi-professional" model. Yes you dont get the newest gimmicks the photography companies use to convince you to buy their new stuff - but they still can take great pictures. The D7100 for example is basically 80% of the D500 for a lot less money - actually its 100% of the D500 unless you want to do sports and action at which the D500 beats the D7100 very substantially, fair and square.

After that I would get the standard AF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 VR kitzoom - not exciting, but sufficient for starting with landscapes which are taken stopped down anyway. And an AF-S 50mm f1.8 for portraiture; you can also pick the cheaper AF 50mm f1.8 instead.

My 70D takes superior shots to my Fuji X-E2,
Unless you talk about autofocus performance, I am confused as why you would claim the 70D would be superior to the Fujifilm X system. Fujifilm, as the name says, is a film producer and knows a lot about colors. They are also one of the best optics companies out there.

Last edited:
Unless you talk about autofocus performance, I am confused as why you would claim the 70D would be superior to the Fujifilm X system. Fujifilm, as the name says, is a film producer and knows a lot about colors. They are also one of the best optics companies out there.[/QUOTE]

In regards to how it handles low light, sports, etc. Just my experience that I get more out of the RAW files from the 70D than the X-E2 on these type of shots. Most of what I'm shooting is perfect for the X-E2 though. Keep in mind, the XT2 or X-Pro2 are superior to my X-E2 with these items and likely handle those tasks just fine. I wouldn't say the X-e2 is equal to or superior to the 70D in regards to all around abilities. Then again, the best camera is the one you are going to have with you and use...

Unless you talk about autofocus performance, I am confused as why you would claim the 70D would be superior to the Fujifilm X system. Fujifilm, as the name says, is a film producer and knows a lot about colors. They are also one of the best optics companies out there.

In regards to how it handles low light, sports, etc. Just my experience that I get more out of the RAW files from the 70D than the X-E2 on these type of shots. Most of what I'm shooting is perfect for the X-E2 though. Keep in mind, the XT2 or X-Pro2 are superior to my X-E2 with these items and likely handle those tasks just fine. I wouldn't say the X-e2 is equal to or superior to the 70D in regards to all around abilities. Then again, the best camera is the one you are going to have with you and use...[/QUOTE]

A DSLR really can't outperform a Fuji X-E2 because of the mirror. The Fuji FX lenses don't need to compensate for the mirror in their design. I've been startled by the image quality of Fuji X cameras. I get better images than I've seen from a full frame DSLR. I truly believe the DSLR is near the end of its life cycle. It hangs on because of tradition, not performance.

In regards to how it handles low light, sports, etc. Just my experience that I get more out of the RAW files from the 70D than the X-E2 on these type of shots. Most of what I'm shooting is perfect for the X-E2 though. Keep in mind, the XT2 or X-Pro2 are superior to my X-E2 with these items and likely handle those tasks just fine. I wouldn't say the X-e2 is equal to or superior to the 70D in regards to all around abilities. Then again, the best camera is the one you are going to have with you and use...

A DSLR really can't outperform a Fuji X-E2 because of the mirror. The Fuji FX lenses don't need to compensate for the mirror in their design. I've been startled by the image quality of Fuji X cameras. I get better images than I've seen from a full frame DSLR. I truly believe the DSLR is near the end of its life cycle. It hangs on because of tradition, not performance.[/QUOTE]

who knew the elimination of the 'reflex' mirror in cameras could make them so great !!
go figger!
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

The Fuji FX lenses don't need to compensate for the mirror in their design.
... say what ? The mirror isnt in the way when a DSLR takes a picture.

Unless its one of these crappy Sony pseudo-DSLRs.

Fujifilm glas is excellent because Fujifilm is excellent at designing lenses.

Otherwise all the other mirrorless systems out there would be in advantage over Canon and Nikon, wouldnt they ? But they are not.

DSLR are always good. My take or suggestion is choose what kind fits you best. You may want to to compare cameras like mirrorless camera vs dslr or read reviews of the brand you like.

The Fuji FX lenses don't need to compensate for the mirror in their design.
... say what ? The mirror isnt in the way when a DSLR takes a picture.

Unless its one of these crappy Sony pseudo-DSLRs.

Fujifilm glas is excellent because Fujifilm is excellent at designing lenses.

Otherwise all the other mirrorless systems out there would be in advantage over Canon and Nikon, wouldnt they ? But they are not.

You may want to look up retrofocus design which is a compensation for the mirror. Mirrorless cameras can design lenses without it. That is why Leica wide angles have always been spectacular performers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back