Need Help Choosing a DSLR

WhiteJetStorm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi. I'm new to photography and I'd like to buy a DSLR. This is going to be my first one.
My budget is around $700 but where I live the prices are a bit higher so maybe around $600 on Amazon totals at $700~ where I live.
I want a kit that comes with a lens. I want the camera to be able to shoot 1080p video and to perform well in low light conditions.
I also want the camera to be able to take pictures in a size in which I'd have no problem to print the picture on a big panorama canvas if I'd want to (so I think that has to do with the megapixels of the camera).
I looked at some options and I could afford the D3300, D5200, 650D and such (with the 18-55 lens kit).

Thank you very much.

I would say take a look at the D5200 or D5300 (whichever you can afford). If video is something that is important to you, the swivel screen will be indispensable. Note that the D5300 offers 60 fps 1080p, whereas the D5200 does 30 fps 1080p. Get the 18-55 kit lens to start.

The next lens after that you should look at is the 35mm 1.8G (versatile focal length on DX), or a different fast prime lens of the focal length you determine you want.

I would say take a look at the D5200 or D5300 (whichever you can afford). If video is something that is important to you, the swivel screen will be indispensable. Note that the D5300 offers 60 fps 1080p, whereas the D5200 does 30 fps 1080p. Get the 18-55 kit lens to start.

The next lens after that you should look at is the 35mm 1.8G (versatile focal length on DX), or a different fast prime lens of the focal length you determine you want.
I can't quite afford the D5300. However, I can afford the D5200. Is it better than the other ones I mentioned?
Thank you very much for the quick reply.

D5200 is a very good camera. You can't really go wrong on the models you mentioned.

I don't know much about video but the Canon 650d got good reviews on the video side. As for printing 18 mp vs 24 isn't thY big a deal. Printing on canvas doesn't need as much resolution.

The only reason I would pick the Canon 650d over the Nikon D5200 is if you want to get an ultra-wide lens. The Canon 10-18mm IS is a good lens at a good price (very cheap price-point). You mention you want to do video, and ultrawide is very useful for video. If that is something you want to do, get the Canon 650d.

Otherwise, I would go with the Nikon D5200. It's going to have a bit of an edge. The difference isn't immense though, and it's worth asking more questions and pondering on it a bit before you go and invest in either.

One of the drawbacks to using many DSLR's for video is that they use a rolling shutter instead of a global shutter.

Compact entry-level DSLR's use a rolling shutter to shoot video.
Rolling shutter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Next. To shoot high quality video you need to buy some accessories - like good microphones, a follow focus accessory, a video tripod and fluid head or a shoulder rig, and at the least a hood for the camera's rear LCD. a separate video monitor is better than using a hood on the rear LCD.

You might want to read through the threads in this TPF forum - DSLR Video Discussion

One of the drawbacks to using many DSLR's for video is that they use a rolling shutter instead of a global shutter.

Compact entry-level DSLR's use a rolling shutter to shoot video.
Rolling shutter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Next. To shoot high quality video you need to buy some accessories - like good microphones, a follow focus accessory, a video tripod and fluid head or a shoulder rig, and at the least a hood for the camera's rear LCD. a separate video monitor is better than using a hood on the rear LCD.

You might want to read through the threads in this TPF forum - DSLR Video Discussion

All worth noting, although he might just want to do casual videos (in which case, an IS lens / IS wide angle lens for all-around use, plus built-in microphone, is probably enough). Or a Go-Pro. For most needs, if it's not for shooting actual amateur / small-time videos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back