Need help ! Choosing what i need ....

cfaulds

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
*** Go to the '*' to skip the background info! ***

Im 16, and im in 6th form in one of the best schools in england.

Ive been lucky enough to have the opportunity to go to Namibia for 2 weeks to do conservation work, specifically at the Cheetah Conservation Fund.

I will be spending a lot of time looking at animals and 'special' places which are meant to be spectacular.

This is after my exams in June (the trip is in August) and then at October 2010, i will be going to Iceland where the scenery is exquisite.

Obviously, as you can imagine, i want to capture these moments and I have always have had a strong passion for Photography. When i was 14 i used a compact camera and took some photos of objects with different effects and put them on a stock photorapy site and managed to make about £20.

However i had exams and so i had to put it on hold but I really want to start it up again.

I have the ability to make professional websites and so I will be looking to sell my best shots on a website that will be set up just before I go (ill keep you posted then).

* So here is my dilemma.... what do i need to capture these moments.

My budget isnt much as im 16. I have about 3K in the bank as im very entrepreneurial and make money for myself - never had a job.

My parents are giving me £200.

I want to spend no more than £1000 including the £200.

Ive been looking into it for some time now and im 100% that I should go for the Canon 500D with 18-55mm IS lens to get to grips with the camera
- lens costs about £20 with bundle so i think its worth it!

Im then thinking that i should get:

(prices off amazon.co.uk)

Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM = £540
- for wide, landscape shots to capture the whole area.
Canon 70-300mm f4.0-5.6 IS USM = £393
- to capture animals that may be far away.

Accessories:

3xbatteries = £7 (a hell of a lot cheaper than battery grip + no added weight)

Im getting 1 8GB memory stick with very high data speed to use when im taking RAW photos. Then i shall have 1 16GB class 6 memory stick for general purpose even though it will still be able to handle RAW photos - however i will mainly use the 8GB.

Polariser filter - sun will be very bright - want to capture those colours!
UV filter ???? would this be useful? - most people use it to protect their lens as it hardly makes much of a difference!

I will have a day sack with the camera, lens, accessories, sun cream, phone, food etc.. so i wont need a bag.

Its also unlikely that ill be able to take a tri-pod however we will be in a large 4x4 so i can rest the camera on that (when its still!)

Have i missed anything out and is there anything you can recommend to me or any information that may be useful?? Please prioritise the kit to Namibia (very hot climate!)

Thanks,
Callum

Sorry its a long post! :confused:

22-70 is a lot of missed coverage. What is your overall budget? A tripod would be something i would take for sure. A lot of your photos could be of running water and night time with amazing star pictures with the 10-22 and night scenes. I would get one. GL
tj

I agree with tripod recommendations, at least find an small inexpensive one.

Thanks for the advice :)

I shall now be researching tri-pods...

Hello,here is what I'd recommend you buy,

500d with grip seems fine as it has quite a good ISO control,fabulous LCD,it's a joy reviewing pictures from the LCD,grip's quite good for me,a 183cm guy
It'll probably set you back 620 pounds

for a thousand pounds

10-22 seems fine at 540 pounds ,here's another recommendation if you don't mind using third party,a 12-24f4 tokina will set you back 400 pounds,with a constant f4 aperture up to 24mm that's quite decent under low light,

A 300mm for wildlife is just a tad too short because,usually wildlife photographers uses 300 and above,But for that budget,there isn't much choices left except for mirror lenses that goes to 500mm but at a f-stop of 8 and you'll loose manual focus

Depending on your budget for a tripod the 190xprob legs are good along with something like the 486/488 RC2 head. Depending on your budget though there is something else you could get to. GL
TJ

Most reactions

Back