Need help deciding: Canon Xs or Nikon D60...probably been asked alot. First DSLR

kennyboater

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am brand new to DSLR. I want to purchase one for my wife which she will use as a hobby. I know there are die hard canon and nikon people out there who will just say one or the other no matter if one is really better or worse than the other. I need some objective help please

im considering the Nikon D60 w IS lens
and the new Canon XS with IS lens. both look to be about the same price. many of the same features and a few different ones. Also considering purchasing 55-200 lens to go with the 18-55 that comes with either.

I need some objective help on which to choose please D60 or XS also is 55-200 a good lens to suppliment the 18-55

thanks in advance.

While I'm still a noob, I'll through my 2 cents in here.

The best thing to do is go to a retailer and play with both of them. See if you like the controls and menus, etc. Both are great cameras, so it really comes down to which one feels best to you. I personally went with the D60, it just felt better in my hands.

As far as the 55-200, it depends on what you are wanting to do with it. I am getting a 70-300 for shooting my son playing soccer and found the 200 just didn't have the reach.

I'm a Nikon user, and don't know much about the Xs, so I'll refrain from giving any advice about the cameras, but I can tell you that the 55-200mm is a 'natural' supplement (meaning that with the two lenses you have everything from 17mm to 200mm covered) to the 17-55mm, and the 70-300m the poster above mentioned is also very good in case you need a bit more reach.

I'm a Nikon user, and don't know much about the Xs, so I'll refrain from giving any advice about the cameras, but I can tell you that the 55-200mm is a 'natural' supplement (meaning that with the two lenses you have everything from 17mm to 200mm covered)

While this is true, I can't even think of the last time when I absolutely HAD TO HAVE a length between 55 and 70mm. It's only 15mm - just not big enough of a difference IMO.

reg said:
While this is true, I can't even think of the last time when I absolutely HAD TO HAVE a length between 55 and 70mm. It's only 15mm - just not big enough of a difference IMO.

I agree - the reason why I used 'natural'. I also have a 17-50mm and a 70-210mm (a 105-315mm on my D80 because of sensor crop) and have also never really felt the lack of the 50mm. I think it is even less of a problem for only 15mm.

In my opinion, I wouldn't go for the XS at all, nor would I get the D60 though.

The D60 only supports AF-S lenses for auto-focus, so you cut out the really good glass right there.

The XS is like 50 dollars less than the XSi for 2 less megapixels..... (and right now only 25 bucks less than the XSi at my store, due to a rebate going on). I'd go for the XSi over the XS any day.

However, over both, I'd go for the Nikon D80, as it's got dual spin wheels, full nikon lens accessibility and it's just a really awesome camera. (And yeah, I shoot Canon and I'm saying that).

Oh, also, don't forget Pentax, they make a great little camera, with very affordable good quality glass, their bodies are just more expensive due to the weather sealing and image stabilization built into the body.

However, over both, I'd go for the Nikon D80, as it's got dual spin wheels, full nikon lens accessibility and it's just a really awesome camera. (And yeah, I shoot Canon and I'm saying that).

And a used D70 might also be worth considering, given that it has quite a few of those features for half the price.

If you're willing to wait a couple of months, the xti (the vastly popular predecessor of the xs) is bound to fall in price due to being replaced by the Xs.

I would pick the xti over the d60 any day. You might want to get a battery grip if your hands are big though.

I have to comment on a couple of D70-related posts. I used to own a D70.

It does "only" have 6 megapixels. However, you can make a very nice 8 x 10 print from a D70. And, you could probably pick up a D70 body for "next to nothing".

I traded "down" to a D60. The reason was body size. My only complaint about the D70 was that it was bulky. The D60 takes the D40's body size, but adds all the current bells and whistles. I could afford the D80, D300, etc, but don't want to carry around the bulk.

The D60 takes a better picture than the D70, but not because of more megapixels. It's because the CCD and exposure meter are better.

I have no experience with Canon DSLR's, only their IXUS models (which I think are great).

You have to go into a camera shop and handle the ones you're interested in. They all take a techinically good picture. Don't limit yourself to Nikon and Canon. Having said that, I have had terrible luck with Olympus and meter failures.

Good luck with your choice!

If you're willing to wait a couple of months, the xti (the vastly popular predecessor of the xs) is bound to fall in price due to being replaced by the Xs.

I would pick the xti over the d60 any day. You might want to get a battery grip if your hands are big though.
I still don't understand the order release on the XS and the XSi. To me, the XS is a replacement for the XT, and the XSI is a replacement to the XTi... but, the XS just came out, and the XT was discontinued quite some time back.

I fully realize that 6 megapixels can give a beautiful print. I have an 8 megapixel XT, as my signature says, and I printed off a 13*16 the other day. I know that megapixels are over rated. But, if it's entry level and you don't have much money for lots of glass, megapixels help for cropping down. I don't personally find 6 is enough, nor is 8 really, not until I got access to better glass at least. My own personal opinion of course

I still don't understand the order release on the XS and the XSi. To me, the XS is a replacement for the XT, and the XSI is a replacement to the XTi... but, the XS just came out, and the XT was discontinued quite some time back.

From what I understand, the XTI is an upgrade rather than a replacement for the XT.

The XS is the actual replacement for the XTI and the XSI is an upgrade to the XTI.

Basically XS is now the entry-level canon body just as the XTI was for the last few years whereas the XSI is designed for someone who wants just a bit better but can't afford the XXD series.

Very true, but it's only 6 megapixels isn't it?

"Only" 6 megapixels still let's you make large prints. On the other side, especially when considering a camera with a CCD sensor, going for a camera with a smaller pixel density gives you better ISO performance, which for many people might be more important that the additional 4 megapixels.

"Only" 6 megapixels still let's you make large prints. On the other side, especially when considering a camera with a CCD sensor, going for a camera with a smaller pixel density gives you better ISO performance, which for many people might be more important that the additional 4 megapixels.

Hmmm....True if you're comparing similar sensors, but a Canon 40D has 10mp and I'm pretty sure it has better high ISO performance than the d40-d70

Most reactions

Back