Need help deciding: Canon Xs or Nikon D60...probably been asked alot. First DSLR

I am brand new to DSLR. I want to purchase one for my wife which she will use as a hobby. I know there are die hard canon and nikon people out there who will just say one or the other no matter if one is really better or worse than the other. I need some objective help please

im considering the Nikon D60 w IS lens
and the new Canon XS with IS lens. both look to be about the same price. many of the same features and a few different ones. Also considering purchasing 55-200 lens to go with the 18-55 that comes with either.

I need some objective help on which to choose please D60 or XS also is 55-200 a good lens to suppliment the 18-55

thanks in advance.

What's the future hold? One poster in this thread has a Nikon D60 (I believe) and was asking about telephoto lenses for sports. The options are limited and often expensive when comparing the lens line ups of the two manufactures and the Nikon can't auto focus with a lot of the lenses mentioned, where as any current Canon would.

Canon's where it's at if you want quality telephoto lenses with some sort of affordability.

wow guys, thanks! I did not expect so many replies so fast!!

Tolyk,

first came the XT (6 or 8 mp), then the XTI (10mp), then a few months ago XSI (IS and 12mp live view...). Now canon is about to release the XS (10mp), which is going to be replacing the XTI at 10 mp but with most of the same features as the XSI but at a 200-300$ price reduction. I think they came out with the XS to compete with the Image stabilized Nikon D60. It is going to be released for about 699$ with the IS 18-55 lens; about the same features and price of the D60.

all that said, I still do not know which to choose. the XS should be released here in the states in about a week (its already out overseas)....

so, not sure what to do...

I don't understand why you are so set on the XS. As a previous poster mentioned, the XSI is not all that more expensive and adds two megapixels and a couple of other features.

Or you can go the other route and get the xti (which will only get cheaper and cheaper when the XS comes out) and spend the money you saved on a quality lens.

I see no point in buying any product as soon as it comes out as it will almost certainly be priced higher relative to what it will settle down at.

I don't understand why you are so set on the XS. As a previous poster mentioned, the XSI is not all that more expensive and adds two megapixels and a couple of other features.

Or you can go the other route and get the xti (which will only get cheaper and cheaper when the XS comes out) and spend the money you saved on a quality lens.

I see no point in buying any product as soon as it comes out as it will almost certainly be priced higher relative to what it will settle down at.

i am not set on the XS. just everything i have been researching says it a great camera for the price. the XSI is going to be at least $200 more, that I do not really have to spend. I hope that answers your question. Also, I did not think that I need 12 mp over 10mp; please correct me if im wrong. this is probably just going to be used for hobby photo taking for the wife and maybe a little more serious if she desides....

your idea about getting the XTI I have really been considering, especially before I found out that they were coming out with the XS. As i said, i am new to this and only know what i have actually read and reasearched, as the guys and best buy and circuit city know absolutely nothing about this. One of the main reasons i was considering the XS or D60 is for the image stabilazation. so i guess i shoud ask, does it really work that great? is it worth it? If so, i guess I could just buy and XTI body (as price will likely decrease with XS gets released) and then buy an IS lens... like i said, new to this, are the Is len's worth it?

thoughts?

I highly recommend a single reasonably broad-range lens vs the two lens solution for beginners. I often recommend the 18-135 for Nikon folks. It covers 90% of the situations a new photographer would need and reduces lens switching, which avoids nasty dust on the sensor. If you can swing the 18-200, all the better.

Personally, I'm a Nikon guy and love them, but just as many people love Canons. Do a comparison on the cameras in your price range and see what one has more of what you want and feels better in your hand. By and large, both Canon and Nikon are excellent.

One other thing to consider that is often overlooked... who do you know and what do they have? If you have a generous friend with a Nikon, get a Nikon. Why? You can share equipment. If they're particularly generous, you may get some free equipment. When I bought my D100 a buddy of mine showed up and gave me three lenses that very day. woot!

wow guys, thanks! I did not expect so many replies so fast!!

Tolyk,

first came the XT (6 or 8 mp), then the XTI (10mp), then a few months ago XSI (IS and 12mp live view...). Now canon is about to release the XS (10mp), which is going to be replacing the XTI at 10 mp but with most of the same features as the XSI but at a 200-300$ price reduction. I think they came out with the XS to compete with the Image stabilized Nikon D60. It is going to be released for about 699$ with the IS 18-55 lens; about the same features and price of the D60.

all that said, I still do not know which to choose. the XS should be released here in the states in about a week (its already out overseas)....

so, not sure what to do...
I know the order, and prices, I work in a camera retail store, it's my job :)

What I was saying is the progression of the letters doesn't make sense ;) XT to XS, XTi to XSi makes more sense to me. It was just me musing.

And at my store right now, the XSi is 25 dollars more than the XS, with the exact same lens. I don't know where you're pulling this 200 dollars more from, even without the 50 dollar rebate, it's 75 bucks more.

I didn't re-read my own post, so I don't know if I mentioned I prefer the D80 over all the entry level Canons, and I'm a Canon shooter. Having handled all the bodies extensively at work now, I wish I'd gone with Nikon to start. Though, I do like Canon's lens line-up *shrug* I'm stickin' with Canon now.

I know the order, and prices, I work in a camera retail store, it's my job :)

What I was saying is the progression of the letters doesn't make sense ;) XT to XS, XTi to XSi makes more sense to me. It was just me musing.

And at my store right now, the XSi is 25 dollars more than the XS, with the exact same lens. I don't know where you're pulling this 200 dollars more from, even without the 50 dollar rebate, it's 75 bucks more.

I didn't re-read my own post, so I don't know if I mentioned I prefer the D80 over all the entry level Canons, and I'm a Canon shooter. Having handled all the bodies extensively at work now, I wish I'd gone with Nikon to start. Though, I do like Canon's lens line-up *shrug* I'm stickin' with Canon now.

thanks for responding so fast. i would like to know where i can find the xsi for 25 dollars more than the xs. the xsi's that i have seen have been about 899 with the is lens (at CC, BB, and online) and the xs are going to be 699 from what i understand (i thought the xs had not even been released here yet?) what store can i find the xsi for 25 more?

thanks

and about how much do the d80's run? with or without a lens?

thanks for responding so fast. i would like to know where i can find the xsi for 25 dollars more than the xs. the xsi's that i have seen have been about 899 with the is lens and the xs are going to be 699 from what i understand (i thought the xs had not even been released here yet?) what store can i find the xsi for 25 more?

thanks
What country you in?

At my store the D80 body only is 748 dollars

The XS (with 18-55 IS) is 729.95 (Not available body only)
The XSi body only is 699.95, with 18-55 it is 799.95, currently a 50 dollar instant rebate going on, putting it at 749.95.. so sorry, 20 bucks more, not 25 ;)

And yes, the XS is out, we got our first shipment of 'em about a week ago. I've yet to sell a single one.

What country you in?

At my store the D80 body only is 748 dollars

The XS (with 18-55 IS) is 729.95 (Not available body only)
The XSi body only is 699.95, with 18-55 it is 799.95, currently a 50 dollar instant rebate going on, putting it at 749.95.. so sorry, 20 bucks more, not 25 ;)

And yes, the XS is out, we got our first shipment of 'em about a week ago. I've yet to sell a single one.

im in the US.
you?
if you are in the US, can you tell me what store or chain so that I can check out the XSI for that price?

im in the US.
you?
if you are in the US, can you tell me what store or chain so that I can check out the XSI for that price?
Nope, I'm in Canada, and wow.. our prices are better than America, that rocks! :D

that rocks for you....

still dont know what to get...

I cant really spend that much on the d80 for just the body alone right now

Well, what do you like about the XS that isn't on the XTi?

Do you think you'd ever use Live View?

They're the same thing, just no IS.. Get the XTi, body only, and buy a better lens.

I've been using my XT for 2 and a half years now, and I still love it, nothing wrong with entry level, and I bet you can pick up an XTi pretty cheap these days.

that is kind of what im thinking. xti body within a few weeks has got to drop in price as the xs comes out this week in the states.
3 more questions:

1. what lens would you suggest? 18-55, 55-200, 70-300. or two of the above?

2. does IS make much of a difference? as I said, i am completely new to this. like i said, wife is going to be using this as a hobby. Im assuming that the IS cost more than non IS?

3. supposedly, the XS has some new processor (like the XSI), do you think that it is really better than the XTI?

thanks so much for helping me, i cannot find anyone local that knows that diff between a DSLR and a fart

Most reactions

Back