Need help deciding whch Camera to buy

Well the NEX is not a micro 4/3's because its a APS-C sensor. It is hower mirrorless like the micro 4/3's.

Its the sensor as my nikon d7000 and yet the unit is small enough for a pocket. The 5n is the same width and height of my iphone. Its obviously thicker than my iphone about 5x as thick with the 16mm pancake. For me its an awesome 2nd camera that i bought as a compact but didnt want to give up image quality and speed.

Still, its my 2nd camera and i still love my Nikon D7000 and wouldnt part with it.

Last edited:
V1 is J1 with OVF +/- a few goodies.

first of all I love my Nikon products, so that is why I went out to buy the 1J 4 days ago after my wife dropped my Epl1 in Cadiz last weekend. I gotta say that this cam is a total miss. It is not very user friendly at all.

Pro (IMO)
-upto 60 FPS (only in good-excellent light)
-Slomo video (again in good light only)
-GREAT HD video quality (even in low light :confused:)
-very compact, easy to travel with
-great Hi Res screen

Cons (IMO)
-Slomo is kinda goofy because it is captured in a UBER widescreen format that is annoying to compose with
-overall image quality is lacking (I'm a total noob to photography and I am NOT satisfied, a more sophisticated Photog would be upset)
-settings tucked away in menu (total lack of control, cant react to changing conditions easily)
-average (at best) low light performance
-I feel like I'm going to break the flash every time I use it
-new RAW format is a PAIN IN THE ASS to work with. (giving LR 3.6 fits)
-jpeg is horrible

I have just ordered the Sony Nex 5n and should be receiving it soon. I should have just ordered it to begin with and save myself the grief, but brand loyalty got in the way. I will post some pix soon.

Last edited:
Im just gonna copy what I wrote to the other guy here

Personally I would suggest a rebel XTI or XSI and here is why. I bought one and in 1 years time the value dropped 50% lenses however don't drop and as you will quickly find out lenses make your shots more so then a camera thus a XTI you can probably pick up for just under 300 new with a warranty, and then have like 400 toward a kick ass lens you can buy a really nice sigma 17 50 lens with a constant 2.8 aperture and a great warranty for around 600 new. You will find out really fast that a great camera is nice but the nuts and bolts of any good camera is the lenses so put the money into a great lens and then upgrade your camera later. Also this way of thinking kind of protects you if you fall away from the hobby because the resale on lenses is way higher then the resale on a camera.

Tutorial Lenses

PhotoMatters Home | photomatters

Also if your looking for a compact camera without interchangeable lenses that can do it all I would look at the Canon G11 not the 12 the 11 better focal lengths

V1 is J1 with OVF +/- a few goodies.

first of all I love my Nikon products, so that is why I went out to buy the 1J 4 days ago after my wife dropped my Epl1 in Cadiz last weekend. I gotta say that this cam is a total miss. It is not very user friendly at all.

Pro (IMO)
-upto 60 FPS (only in good-excellent light)
-Slomo video (again in good light only)
-GREAT HD video quality (even in low light :confused:)
-very compact, easy to travel with
-great Hi Res screen

Cons (IMO)
-Slomo is kinda goofy because it is captured in a UBER widescreen format that is annoying to compose with
-overall image quality is lacking (I'm a total noob to photography and I am NOT satisfied, a more sophisticated Photog would be upset)
-settings tucked away in menu (total lack of control, cant react to changing conditions easily)
-average (at best) low light performance
-I feel like I'm going to break the flash every time I use it
-new RAW format is a PAIN IN THE ASS to work with. (giving LR 3.6 fits)
-jpeg is horrible

I have just ordered the Sony Nex 5n and should be receiving it soon. I should have just ordered it to begin with and save myself the grief, but brand loyalty got in the way. I will post some pix soon.

Hang on a second here.... I have heard alot of bad things about how user friendly the Sony cameras are! The Sony NEX series certainly seem to have DSLR level Image quality, but the idea that the Sony is superior in usability is a myth to say the least.

I'm sure that is true, but the low light aptitude along with superior image quality is what shaped my decision.

I was trying to take pix in my gym the other day which didn't have great light but it was enough to take a pix (so I thought) and it just hunted and hunted. quite annoying. My EPL1 preformed way better.

I have reprogrammed some important buttons on the 5N to make it easier to use. However, something has to be sacraficed to put in a aps-c size sensor in a unit that small. That being said, my d7000 has a button for everything and its one of the reasons i love it so.

Last edited:
I have reprogrammed some impotant buttons on the 5N to make it easier to use. However, something has to be sacraficed to put in a aps-c size sensor in a unit that small. That being said, my d7000 has a button for everything and its one of the reasons i love it so.
yea I don't think I'll be getting rid of my D300 or D40x anytime soon.

Any more reviews on this Sony NEX 5? I'm too thinking of picking up one.

Most reactions

Back