Need help deciding whch Camera to buy

foreverof

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys, I want to buy a camera good for travel[FONT=&quot][/FONT]ing, and the budget under $1500 CAD. I like to take photos of people with sightseeing background, nature (like mountain, sunrise, sunset), I really like to take photos at night time, and I will have kids soon, and want to able to aim and take fast photos before my kids run away.

I have been researching and shop around, but I couldn't decide which is best for me. I have a few camera in mind currently. I am looking for some interchangeable camera now.

There is a few of my choices:
1) Sony Nex-7
2) Sony Nex-5
3) Panasonic GX1
4) Samsung NX200
5) Nikon V1

6) Any other suggestions?

Thanks Guys!

While I'm not overly familiar with these units, based on what I know of sensor size and performance, build-quality, ease of operation, etc, I would DEFINITELY opt for one of the Sony NEX units

For the price of a lot of these cameras, I personally wouldn't waist the money on them. If you are specifically looking for something more compact for easier travel, then this might be the way to go. However, both Nikon and Canon offer great entry level DSLRs at similar prices that will give you better quality and much more flexibility. The only downside to the DSLR would be the larger size. If you can deal with the larger camera, I would strongly recomend something like the Nikon D3100 at about $600 or the Nikon D7000 at about $1200. Both would offer far more lens and accessory options with better overall control and quality and would give you more fleibility in the future. Whatever lenses you buy for these cameras would fit any camera of the same brand and format when you decide to upgrade in the future.

@ tirediron, I guess I will go to Sony store and check it out.

@ nfp, thanks for your comment, I am thinking about DSLRs and I like Nikon and Canon a lot too. But is the size problem that I didn't go for DSLRs. Everyone told me the same thing too, when they go travel, it is pretty hard to carry a DSLRs around, the size and the weight. However I will good quality photos too, that is the reason I go for the middle weight camera.

The Sony NEX is pretty hot, but I'm not sure it's too great in terms of usability or lenses! But the Cameras performance is very good.

The Nikon V1 is really good as a compact solution from what I am seeing, the 10-30 has been rated highly by photozone.de. Shame the sensor isnt slightly bigger though in my opinion! I think Nikon have kept the sensor smaller due to the fact they don't want to sabotage entry level DSLR saless.

@ thierry & Nikon_Josh, should I go for NEX-5 or NEX-7?

It seems many people vote for Sony, I heard that Sony is not using global standard stuff, like the SD card, I have to buy Sony SD card, is that correct? Do I need some Sony special program install to my PC? and special cable and stuff?

It seems many people vote for Sony, I heard that Sony is not using global standard stuff, like the SD card, I have to buy Sony SD card, is that correct? Do I need some Sony special program install to my PC? and special cable and stuff?

Sony uses standard cards as well as sometimes an extra slot for their proprietory memory stick. There is a Sony program which is quite good for downloading and browsing but it is not an absolute necessity.

skieur

I reckon the NEX 5 would suit you best, the 24MP sensor in the NEX 7 is not really too great! I would save some cash and go with the NEX 5.

I think you can use normal SD cards with the NEX5 and I think unusually for Sony they are quite open source with their cameras. They are a pretty ghastly firm though in most cases I won't deny it, they are famous for trying to lock customers in and overcharging for products that are not of the premium quality they state or advertise them as. Their after sales care leaves alot to be desired aswell, but that dosen't stop the NEX line from being good products!

With the Nex cameras Sony is redefining and maximizing how they get into peoples wallets. Great business move.

I have a Nikon D7000 and just bought the NEX 5N and have been so impressed with it. Its purpose is for travel and something to put in my pocket, but i didnt want to give up image quality.

Yep, the NEX 5N has the same sensor as D7000, but I wouldn't buy it for it's portability, it's not pocketable with its lens.

You'd need an super over sized pocket though, and you wouldn't wear a coat in Malaysia...

I was lucky enough to get one of the first Fujifilm X100's which I used for 2 months then sold in frustration so I had to start looking around for a replacement (I always have a small camera with me). The Sony came out on top for me.

I now have a NEX5 N and it's quite capable. The NEX 7 is not available yet but should be out soon in limited quantities (the factory was under water for 2 months).

The Good (5N):

• The AF is very good
  • Small and light weight
  • fast and responsive
  • excellent in low light
  • Can mount pro lenses with adapter
The Bad (5N):

No Viewfinder (fixed in NEX 7)
Flash options are not great
Menus are a deep and not very wide
Manual controls do not give you manual options (most options are screen driven)
You need to touch the same screen you use for viewing (you get fingerprints on your viewfinder)
Not very many good lenses available in the native format yet.

Overall I think it's the best of the Micro 4/3 due to the sensor and great AF. Much better than the acclaimed Fuji X100 in my experience. I have the NEX-7 on Preorder and will review that once I have some time to shoot it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back